New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by grovester »

Makes sense in a bad way, now they get to keep their parking and get the development in the Royal stadium/parking?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cool graphic.

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

That is a neat graphic, thanks DCole.

Raiders are an interesting case. I assume the "downtown" referenced is downtown LV, which is no longer the center of gravity there at all (the Strip is). So while the stadium is indeed on the far end of the Strip, it's actually relatively centrally located in the grand scheme of things.

And 49ers/Levi's Stadium distance from the city is just wild...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The strip is where people go, but it's about as far from "downtown" (aesthetically) as a place can be, unless you're talking about Dubai or something.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

rxlexi wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:42 pm
And 49ers/Levi's Stadium distance from the city is just wild...
Makes more sense when there used to be a team much closer to downtown (Raiders) and Levi Stadium put them in the heart of a secondary but wealthy business center (Silicon Valley)
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

mean wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:52 pm The strip is where people go, but it's about as far from "downtown" (aesthetically) as a place can be, unless you're talking about Dubai or something.
Yes, I guess central to "where the people go" is what I meant.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

The question about location should consider whether or not KC wants to extend rail transit, or not.
Truman is just not doable for rail investment. Maybe in 30 years. The games most rabid fans with disposable incomes seem to live in the suburbs.

Does the West Bottoms have a disparate, unused area large enough to allow for tailgating?
What about the old Leeds Plant District?
As long as they stay in KCMO I'm satisfied.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think we likely do want to extend rail transit at some point.

I am less sure it makes a lot of sense to give any consideration to the airport or stadium(s) when planning said extensions.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

If it's a choice between airport or stadium rail, I'm picking airport everytime.

I still love that free downtown shuttle/bus idea from whoever came up with it
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:26 am Cool graphic.

Thanks for the graphic. I'd love to see the same for baseball stadiums. I suspect it would be a lot more compressed.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:28 am

Thanks for the graphic. I'd love to see the same for baseball stadiums. I suspect it would be a lot more compressed.
Just saw the MLB one on FB. I read all the comments as rangers fans were complaining that Texas stadium is near downtown Arlington so the chart is flawed haha.

https://www.facebook.com/threeohtake/ph ... 9686212814

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:32 am

Just saw the MLB one on FB. I read all the comments as rangers fans were complaining that Texas stadium is near downtown Arlington so the chart is flawed haha.

https://www.facebook.com/threeohtake/ph ... 9686212814

They are not wrong, but also that's a Texas problem the fact that your cities are so damn sprawled out that the stadium is basically in between Dallas and FTW. Same with Niner's but both speak to the fact that these teams are in the suburbs, even if it's in another city, than the downtown area of their metropolis. I mean, that would be like moving the Chiefs to Lee's Summit
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

That graphic is pretty ridiculous if they claim the Rangers play far from downtown Dallas (or is it Fort Worth? And why not downtown Arlington?) but then they say the Angels location is less than five miles from downtown Anaheim. 'Downtown' Anaheim really isn't that different from 'downtown' Arlington when looking at the larger picture, nor is Levi's stadium any further from downtown San Jose than Allegiant in Vegas any further from downtown. And why are they then saying the Rays play in St Pete instead of far away downtown Tampa?
They need to use the same metrics for every team/city/metro.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:32 am

Even downtown Arlington is pretty suburban though. On the other hand, the Yankees play a long way from "downtown" Manhattan but the setting is pretty urban all the way to the stadium in the Bronx. Cities that host MLB are all very different so it's difficult to use the same metric for each. For me, the critical factor is the stadium in an urban walkable area where one can enjoy amenities not associated with the stadium without having to get into a vehicle. It doesn't have to be downtown. Yankee stadium would make no sense in DT Manhattan. Royal's stadium, however, makes perfect sense in DT KC and is presently one of the worst in MLB with respect to being totally isolated from the world around it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

For the first time, the NFLPA has released team report cards based on surveys from 1,300 players. Chiefs ranked 29th out of the 32 NFL Teams. I'd imagine that the NFLPA will be applying some pressure on the Chiefs to make investments and those investments would be folded into whatever the new project will be (either in KS or existing site)

In general, players feel the Chiefs facilities are outdated, and only 56% of respondents believe Clark Hunt is willing to upgrade them. Several players had negative opinions about head trainer Rick Burkholder. Players feel “discouraged” from reporting their injuries and fear retribution for speaking up for better care.

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards

https://nflpa.com/kansas-city-chiefs-report-card
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I wonder if team travel will improve with the new terminal haha.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I thought the team just built a new locker room

[/url]https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 77998.html[/url]
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

A lot of these guys have played for insane college programs that have to constantly upgrade & improve their facilities to impress recruits to their school. NFL doesn't have to really do any of that, they pay these guys. I think that has a lot to do with it.