New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by FangKC »

There were several reasons the airport ended up where it is.

The City didn't want it in a floodplain after the 1951 flood damaged downtown air facilities on both sides of the Missouri.

It had to have enough space to accommodate jumbo jetliners.

It was much easier to assemble such a large land parcel in what was then a still rural area than one closer to the city that might have been built up with development or houses.

It needed to be away from already-developed residential areas to avoid the problems of noise and pollution.

They had to find a place above the floodplain where a large area could be flattened without encountering a lot of rock formations that would have to be removed at great expense. It had to be geologically sound -- meaning no natural limestone caves underneath.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:41 am Just leave it where it's at and clean up the area where it's at now and get a starter LRT line going from Union Station to the stadium area that hopefully splits off from there into two lines and goes to Blue Springs and Lee's Summit…Maybe also a line splitting off down Bruce Watkins or Troost to Grandview.
Sprawl it out even more, huh?
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Does TSC have a history of flooding?

Much of it is built below street level surrounding by hills and ramps so I'm curious how that would affect any surrounding development.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:59 am
GRID wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:41 am Just leave it where it's at and clean up the area where it's at now and get a starter LRT line going from Union Station to the stadium area that hopefully splits off from there into two lines and goes to Blue Springs and Lee's Summit…Maybe also a line splitting off down Bruce Watkins or Troost to Grandview.
Sprawl it out even more, huh?
Not at all. LRT along US-40, Rock Island etc would create tons of opportunity for redevelopment and TOD along the routes between the downtown/crossroads area and wherever the lines would end. Places like Downtown Raytown etc would likely see new development etc. And it could at the same time be used by commuters of course and that's a good thing for downtown.

I'm not talking about commuter rail, I'm talking about LRT. My goal is to rebuild what you have now and Jackson County desperately needs to do that.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:52 am Not to get off topic here but this is why I thought we should've rebuilt the new airport close to downtown. I really never saw the point in rebuilding that far away.
Where????

Not to mention that it was hard enough to build a new terminal for 1.5 billion. It would cost probably 5-7 billion or more to build a whole new airport and again where would it go that would be any closer to downtown?

I do think the new terminal should have been built on the south side of the current airport property. That would have cost more to build, but in the long run it would have been worth it. It would have cut about 3 miles off the downtown to KCI route and put the terminal much closer to other development. But they went with the cheaper route because MoDot and KCMO have no money for the infrastructure improvements that would have been needed to tie the new terminal to I-29 and M-152.

But a whole new airport?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:06 pm

I don't think there are any big nfl stadiums that are surrounded by neighborhoods (even if they are in urban areas) and most urban MLB stadiums are not either, not like what you are talking about with European soccer stadiums. Fenway and Wrigley are about as close as it gets to that. Nationals Park is probably becoming the most embedded into the neighborhood as you will see for a modern stadium and it still has two large parking garages next to it. KC's stadiums will always have 80-90% of the fans drive and park near the stadium even if downtown. Why would you move the NFL stadium anywhere near downtown? It will be hard enough to build a MLB park down there without seeing mass destruction (or land banking) for parking lots.
We do not want this, fam. Location is terrible, also looks like a bad time for the neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hard+ ... 80.2388604
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:02 pm
shinatoo wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:13 pm Same reason you don't want NASCAR in the urban core. To much dead space required for the 350 days a year it's not in use.

The only place I would put it in the urban core is Harlem.

Unless it's domed and part of a convention center. Then the story changes.
Most European stadiums are directly surrounded by neighborhoods, some bigger cities here in America too. The reason it doesn't happen in places like KC is the dependence on car transportation. TSC doesn't provide some magical location for Arrowhead, old or new. There's no real reason for it to be where it is. Put it in the Northland to spur a light rail line to the airport. Put it in the West Bottoms to get Kansas to pay part of the tab and get it closer to the core. We should think more pragmatically about using the stadium to best benefit the city. Besides some guys on a message board who grew up in Raytown or Blue Springs who want to keep their childhood memories, TSC means nothing.
TSC means something. It's where the current stadium is located and where ownership wants to invest money on extending it's life. So it means a lot.

Not sure why we're putting energy into other locations, some of us on here have been saying Arrowheads not going anywhere and the owner just confirmed this. Granted they could find some massive structural issues preventing them from extending Arrowheads life but unlikely.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The owner didn’t really say anything though
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:37 pm The owner didn’t really say anything though
Huh? He made publicly clear the preference is to remain in arrowhead. The Chiefs won't even offer alternative jerseys which would be a multi-million dollar revenue stream they're currently NOT getting because of the Hunt's stance on tradition. I don't see him leaving Arrowhead unless it's physically not possible to get to 2045.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The airlines didn’t want a new terminal until they studied it and found it was better. If the report says Arrowhead 2.0 is better, he will follow.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:17 pm The airlines didn’t want a new terminal until they studied it and found it was better. If the report says Arrowhead 2.0 is better, he will follow.
Don’t think this is even remotely comparable to the decision makers involved with the airport terminal. About a hundred different variables to consider and only a very few will lead to leaving arrowhead.

Lamar Hunt always dreamed of a Super Bowl at arrowhead, not simply in KC. Building a new stadium in a new location and landing a SB wouldn’t be fulfilling Lamar’s legacy and that’s a leading priority for the Hunts.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

There isn’t going to be a Super Bowl either way so it’s a non-issue!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:49 pm There isn’t going to be a Super Bowl either way so it’s a non-issue!
1000% disagree. I know for a fact the Super Bowl in KC conversation is alive and well with the Hunts and the league. It may be 10 or 15 years away but the idea and desire is alive and well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:49 pm There isn’t going to be a Super Bowl either way so it’s a non-issue!
If they build a new stadium they absolutely will host. Otherwise they could never motivate teams to get new stadiums for one. KC's a pretty logical spot for one if we're hosting the World Cup. A Super Bowl would be peanuts for us after that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:59 pm
If they build a new stadium they absolutely will host. Otherwise they could never motivate teams to get new stadiums for one. KC's a pretty logical spot for one if we're hosting the World Cup. A Super Bowl would be peanuts for us after that.
A new stadium is not a requirement to host a SB.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:01 pm
Yeah but that is the tool that sports leagues use to get their way. In MLB especially with getting to host all star games. Minneapolis got the Super Bowl when they finished in 2017.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:03 pm

Yeah but that is the tool that sports leagues use to get their way. In MLB especially with getting to host all star games. Minneapolis got the Super Bowl when they finished in 2017.
Yes but a "major renovation" will work the same way.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:07 pm

I'm still really confused what Populous can do for Arrowhead in this state. Sure you could force a dome onto but it would prob look awful and weird on such an outdoor designed stadium. I just don't see how they can do that and make it look professional.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:28 pm

I'm still really confused what Populous can do for Arrowhead in this state. Sure you could force a dome onto but it would prob look awful and weird on such an outdoor designed stadium. I just don't see how they can do that and make it look professional.
Just imagine a combination of Sofi's roof and At&t stadium's roof as a possibility. Those are examples of massive roof systems that are supported almost independently from the stadiums structure.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:36 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:28 pm

Just imagine a combination of Sofi's roof and At&t stadium's roof as a possibility. Those are examples of massive roof systems that are supported almost independently from the stadiums structure.
Holy shit. Can we really get a roof like SoFi? If we do I'm totally on board.

Would they take out the scoreboards too so they can implement that circular roof scoreboard like SoFi has?

I bet the costs are actually manageable for this too since they wouldn't have to build the stadium structure it's already there