New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:20 pm I guess what did you guys expect? They're never going to turn that parking area into anything.

I was just impressed they didn't make people taking rideshares crawl through an obstacle course to enter.
I want better renderings of that area, are they getting shelters of some kind & benches there? A wider curb with a rounded entrance to load and unload easy?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:08 pm
shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:50 am I was ready to vote yes despite my misgivings about Oak being closed, but this has flipped me to no. Public money to upgrade the most expensive and exclusive parts of the stadium, while the rest of us get covered walkways? No thanks.
The chiefs will cover those portions while the tax payer will cover the aspects everyone can utilize.
Feels kind of like my kid asking me for $350 to fix his car while he's spending $450 to buy weed.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

We would be 100x better off taking that $800 mil for the Chiefs and just building the streetcar connection from Midtown to Arrowhead.

That would ironically look better than the nothingness in these renderings too.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chief's Clark Hunt named worst NFL owner on NFLPA report cards
https://fox4kc.com/sports/chiefs/chiefs ... ort-cards/
This might be the teams focus with these renovations. New covered parking for players and Taylor Swift, a VIP separate entrance, more suite and amenities, etc. Let's be honest, they don't need this money. There was just a Brinks truck that pulled up for the Royals and they decided to get in line. We have to break these leases up between the teams.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:41 pm We would be 100x better off taking that $800 mil for the Chiefs and just building the streetcar connection from Midtown to Arrowhead.

That would ironically look better than the nothingness in these renderings too.
The chiefs would rather move than do that. They make an enormous amount of money off parking, and controlling the lots allows them to control soccer hospitality stuff.

Chiefs aren't giving up anything on game days unless they get like airport style margins.

Careful what you're all wishing for.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I guess I don't know what everyone expected?

A roof was never on the table and any major changes to the core character of the stadium was off limits. I did think they'd explore the idea of adding some kind of canopy over the 400 section but they addressed this by providing a covered, heated concourse dedicated to the 400 section.

What were some of you hoping for? You have to assume that several hundred million dollars is for things that aren't fun or pretty, like structural integrity.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I really thought they'd make the club (middle) level full suite. I know those tickets are expensive but anytime a game is low attendance (hasn't happened in awhile) those are always the seats that are empty. Suites make money. It would allow them to have top security on that level for players wives and VIPs. It looks like they went endzone "suites" instead. I also thought they might build another addon to match the one added at the last renovation to the other side of the stadium.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:50 pm I really thought they'd make the club (middle) level full suite. I know those tickets are expensive but anytime a game is low attendance (hasn't happened in awhile) those are always the seats that are empty. Suites make money. It would allow them to have top security on that level for players wives and VIPs. It looks like they went endzone "suites" instead. I also thought they might build another addon to match the one added at the last renovation to the other side of the stadium.
They are making the level 100 concourse full suites all the way around from what I know.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:38 pm What were some of you hoping for? You have to assume that several hundred million dollars is for things that aren't fun or pretty, like structural integrity.
I think something closer to the renovations we got the last time around. I mean this is arguably the biggest cultural juggernaut in the region, backed by real $$ and coming off back-to-back SB wins with the biggest star in the sport. Some combination of:

Standalone HoF
New practice facility and team offices (these are obviously leaving TSC at this point)
Small TitleTown type development
Interesting placemaking (large new signs/lighting/videoboards/restrooms/landscaping/statues) in the parking lots, creating more of a tailgating village vs open asphalt feel

I do think the interior renovations look nice, and will be a hit. Endzone suites and tunnel VIP access are big pluses for the big spenders, plus will help with entry/exit for all users. New video boards and lighting are solid additions but expected.

I think overall the renovations, while all positive no doubt, point to the team not wanting to be at TSC long term. I was hoping for the kind of stuff that would solidify Arrowhead into classic status, not having to worry about the ask for a new stadium in 20 years.

Edit: one of the biggest things - a timeline alongside the Royals. They stated that this stuff won't be done until 2030-31. Would prefer that they get rolling ASAP in the Mahomes prime.
Last edited by rxlexi on Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Chiefs are only putting 300 million into this? WTF? And the bridge in the parking lots is the highlight?

Meanwhile the Royals are saying they will invest over a billion? Pretty sure the Hunt family has a lot more money than Sherman and pretty sure the Chiefs make a lot more money than the Royals. And yet the Royals are getting all the heat.

And doing nothing with the training facility or the HQ offices? Again, WTF? They have been getting terrible reviews by the players for years. This might confirm rumors that the training facility and HQ may move to some STAR funded development in Kansas? Why would they not rebuild all that stuff and incorporate it more into the Arrowhead grounds?

I really feel like the Chiefs owners are going cheap on KC. All while the Royals are trying to do something special. But who gets shit on???

Mark my words, this renovation won't last 20-25 years and the tax is for 40 years. Just wow.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:49 pm And doing nothing with the training facility or the HQ offices? Again, WTF? They have been getting terrible reviews by the players for years. This might confirm rumors that the training facility and HQ may move to some STAR funded development in Kansas? Why would they not rebuild all that stuff and incorporate it more into the Arrowhead grounds?
Exactly
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:59 pm They are making the level 100 concourse full suites all the way around from what I know.
Why? Who wants to spend top dollar on a suite behind everyone standing up in the place normally reserved for the Dippin Dot vendor? Put suites all in 200 level where you can be in your suite for entertainment and then have outdoor seating in front to be a part of the game, kind of like Sprint Center. Better view vantage points too. This also makes it easier to separate suite holders from huge crowds. Suites on 100 will also take already limited concourse space.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:49 pm The Chiefs are only putting 300 million into this? WTF? And the bridge in the parking lots is the highlight?

Meanwhile the Royals are saying they will invest over a billion? Pretty sure the Hunt family has a lot more money than Sherman and pretty sure the Chiefs make a lot more money than the Royals. And yet the Royals are getting all the heat.

And doing nothing with the training facility or the HQ offices? Again, WTF? They have been getting terrible reviews by the players for years. This might confirm rumors that the training facility and HQ may move to some STAR funded development in Kansas? Why would they not rebuild all that stuff and incorporate it more into the Arrowhead grounds?

I really feel like the Chiefs owners are going cheap on KC. All while the Royals are trying to do something special. But who gets shit on???

Mark my words, this renovation won't last 20-25 years and the tax is for 40 years. Just wow.
Further, the Chiefs are essentially out of town ownership. The Sherman family name is all over every arts institution in the community, and they actually live here! Outside of the generic youth NFL charities, I can’t remember the last time I saw the hunt family name attached to anything meaningful here in KC (happy to be corrected). Meanwhile 👀https://twitter.com/NancyAFrench/status ... 7409193452

With that said, the only thing I’m disappointed in is the timeline. Otherwise, what were we expecting? Honestly, better than I expected.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:59 pm They are making the level 100 concourse full suites all the way around from what I know.
Why? Who wants to spend top dollar on a suite behind everyone standing up in the place normally reserved for the Dippin Dot vendor? Put suites all in 200 level where you can be in your suite for entertainment and then have outdoor seating in front to be a part of the game, kind of like Sprint Center. Better view vantage points too. This also makes it easier to separate suite holders from huge crowds. Suites on 100 will also take already limited concourse space.
The VIPs don't sit in the suites you think they're in. They're in the few suites that offer more of what you're envisioning. There's something to be said about that exclusivity.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:12 pm
The 200 level or “Club” level is already all suites. That’s their top tier but there’s another customer out there that can’t afford the top tier. The 100 level suites are great as corporate suites or game by game rentals.

Creating the sideline club will be a huge project and expensive. They’ll have to demo a large section of seating from 30 yard line to 30 yard line as the entire lower seating bowl is built on dirt.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:15 pm The 200 level or “Club” level is already all suites. That’s their top tier but there’s another customer out there that can’t afford the top tier. The 100 level suites are great as corporate suites or game by game rentals.
There are thousands of seats on the club level. I used to have season tickets there. Remove them all and make suites only stacked two high. Leave the endzones alone.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:15 pm The 200 level or “Club” level is already all suites. That’s their top tier but there’s another customer out there that can’t afford the top tier. The 100 level suites are great as corporate suites or game by game rentals.
There are thousands of seats on the club level. I used to have season tickets there. Remove them all and make suites only stacked two high. Leave the endzones alone.
Yeah, I currently have club level seats and I’m not disagreeing with you on current configuration but it’s impossible to stack the suites in this level. There’s not enough height.

I also don’t love the end zone clubs but I get the desire to do it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:47 pm Yeah, I currently have club level seats and I’m not disagreeing with you on current configuration but it’s impossible to stack the suites in this level. There’s not enough height.

More height than Sprint Center.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:00 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:47 pm Yeah, I currently have club level seats and I’m not disagreeing with you on current configuration but it’s impossible to stack the suites in this level. There’s not enough height.

More height than Sprint Center.
Maybe but T-Mobile was purpose built for two levels of suites and arrowhead was not. You’d end up with very low and cramped ceiling heights on the level 100 concourses. They’d have to completely modify the structural design of the club level and decrease the overall stadium capacity significantly.