New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

Seems pretty fitting to try to steal the American Royal back and put it in the stadium somehow.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I mean, it's not the dumbest idea ever? All of these things make sense to me.

At least we're talking parking based destinations and not trying to build an entertainment district.

Concerts and outdoor bbq seem like completely logical things.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Just wanted to say the Chiefs should build an Allegiant in the West Bottom and the Royals should build a Wrigley in E Crossroads. That is all.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:59 pm No secret I'm 100% opposed to a move to KS and prefer a huge Arrowhead makeover. WIthout giving away too much, a few big picture aspects:

Remove lower bowl from NW end of stadium.
Install steel structure with a clear span allowing the field surface to move out of the stadium.
Re-install NW seating bowl.
Perm concrete floor under playing surface for quick conversion into non-sports event setup.
Build similar structure on NE side to match NW structure.
No dome, never a dome....... ever.
Instead, build a new exoskeleton around the current stadium with an open air roof system.
New roof system should cover spectator area but not the playing surface.
New roof system allows for a major Audio Visual upgrade with rigging for speakers, LED signage etc.
New roof system allows adding infrared stadium heaters.
Add field level suites.

TSC itself doesn't need to be this year-round complex. The surrounding areas need major improvements but football stadiums are destination islands naturally and I don't think KC should be the ones to try and change this.
Whatever happens, Arrowhead needs to be a first-class stadium since it's now the permanent host of the Arrowhead Invitational*. Look at European soccer stadiums for inspiration. They have done amazing retrofits while preserving the original bowl. And a lot of teardowns too.

*formerly known as the AFC Playoffs
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:12 am Whatever happens, Arrowhead needs to be a first-class stadium since it's now the permanent host of the Arrowhead Invitational*. Look at European soccer stadiums for inspiration. They have done amazing retrofits while preserving the original bowl. And a lot of teardowns too.

Haha, did you hear that from Nick Wright? I saw where he said that, it was pretty funny.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Arrowhead Invitational

https://youtu.be/CxILU06clTU?t=146
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:19 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:12 am Whatever happens, Arrowhead needs to be a first-class stadium since it's now the permanent host of the Arrowhead Invitational*. Look at European soccer stadiums for inspiration. They have done amazing retrofits while preserving the original bowl. And a lot of teardowns too.

Haha, did you hear that from Nick Wright? I saw where he said that, it was pretty funny.
Heard it a couple of times. He was probably one of them.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah, clearly sounded last night that Arrowhead is here to stay & renovations are coming. Couldn't stop talking about historic & how it's the AFC Lambeau now. Clark ain't going to give that up, might as well lock this up.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Who owns the wooded land just south of TSC bordering Raytown rd anyone know? Acquiring that land would probably put the site at over 500 acres!
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Rusty Irish wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:42 pm Who owns the wooded land just south of TSC bordering Raytown rd anyone know? Acquiring that land would probably put the site at over 500 acres!
According to parcel viewer it's Jackson County who owns everything south of the complex down to Raytown Rd. Adding up the acreage comes to right around 117 acres of land there. I think if you gave the Chiefs everything inside of 435/70/Blue Ridge Cutoff/Raytown Rd you'd be looking at 400-450 acres.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shaffe wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:05 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:42 pm Who owns the wooded land just south of TSC bordering Raytown rd anyone know? Acquiring that land would probably put the site at over 500 acres!
According to parcel viewer it's Jackson County who owns everything south of the complex down to Raytown Rd. Adding up the acreage comes to right around 117 acres of land there. I think if you gave the Chiefs everything inside of 435/70/Blue Ridge Cutoff/Raytown Rd you'd be looking at 400-450 acres.
I don't get the feeling they want to expand the footprint?

I feel like they'll do something with the former K footprint though. If you've ever been down below the stadiums, the two are connected via underground tunnel. I'm curious to see how they'll maintain access to Arrowhead while demolishing the K.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:45 pm
I don't get the feeling they want to expand the footprint?

I feel like they'll do something with the former K footprint though. If you've ever been down below the stadiums, the two are connected via underground tunnel. I'm curious to see how they'll maintain access to Arrowhead while demolishing the K.
Beats me, I'm even less in tune with what the Chiefs might want than what the Royals seem to want. But it is an option on the table I suppose, and might be a "cheap" way to entice the Chiefs without creating a tax burden. In a decade we might have two sports franchises running their own little entertainment districts which might in turn reduce public financing for said franchises. That sounds kind of neat to me from an idealistic perspective. Who knows if it could be pulled off though.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

If the Chiefs keep the Arrowhead structure and just build around/on top of it- how much money would that save over a full rebuild?

It better be alot to be worth it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:03 pm If the Chiefs keep the Arrowhead structure and just build around/on top of it- how much money would that save over a full rebuild?

It's not a fun answer, but it depends what they want to do. I said earlier in this thread that I don't know what the chiefs want.

Earlier everything I heard was that they were happy but would want their money. They later leaked to some friendly reporters that they were looking at Kansas. Now they're like we hope to stay of course.

It's nice to have sycophantic press that do your PR for you, but eventually they'll have to come out and say what they want and until they do it is just hard to know.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:03 pm If the Chiefs keep the Arrowhead structure and just build around/on top of it- how much money would that save over a full rebuild?

Cost to keep Arrowhead and modernize would probably be 80% of the cost to build new at the highest. The renovations needed are extension and complicated in nature. Think about what it would take to add field level suites for example.

The reason it's worth it is because it's Arrowhead and second only to Lambeau. Arrowhead was a "first of its kind" when built, so why not continue that ground breaking attitude by modernizing the current stadium in a way never seen before? The technology exists now to have a huge, transparent roof which would still allow for that outdoor feel on game day but offer massively needed in-game production value for the fans.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I have to point something out, because it's really annoying to keep hearing everyone talk about what the Chiefs will do with the stadium and what the royals will do and whether or not the royals will demolish etc etc.

The Chiefs and the royals do not own the stadiums. They do not own the land here they do not own anything. That entire area is owned by Jackson county and the sports authority. Nothing will happen unless they decide they want it to happen. The teams are free to go when their lease is up or do whatever else they want, but infrastructure wise the county has the say.

This should also be pointed out as the single biggest reason why no development has occurred around the stadium. It is all owned by the county. There is no problem with private development.. there is no opportunity for private development.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Good point but here's the plan. Jackson country sells TSC to the state, once state owned we can get state funding much more sufficient than at the country level. This also shows Missouri's commitment and puts the Kansas legislators where they belong.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:00 pm

Cost to keep Arrowhead and modernize would probably be 80% of the cost to build new at the highest. The renovations needed are extension and complicated in nature. Think about what it would take to add field level suites for example.

The reason it's worth it is because it's Arrowhead and second only to Lambeau. Arrowhead was a "first of its kind" when built, so why not continue that ground breaking attitude by modernizing the current stadium in a way never seen before? The technology exists now to have a huge, transparent roof which would still allow for that outdoor feel on game day but offer massively needed in-game production value for the fans.
This is right, but it also complicated. Everyone knows that SKC is looking at eventually moving downtown. Arrowhead needs renovations to make itself more friendly for soccer and other events. A new SKC stadium would be built for that as well.

SKC could take a significant portion of the new events because it's just better suited.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:54 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:00 pm

This is right, but it also complicated. Everyone knows that SKC is looking at eventually moving downtown. Arrowhead needs renovations to make itself more friendly for soccer and other events. A new SKC stadium would be built for that as well.

SKC could take a significant portion of the new events because it's just better suited.
True and it's very important that Stadiums don't compete for the same events and hurt each other. That's why capacities matter so much.

Arrowhead Reno - 75k (slight decrease)
KC Current - 11.5k
Future SKC downtown Stadium - 20-25k
New K - 35k

Sporting KC designed Children's Mercy to be useable for concerts with the retractable seating section and rigging abilities, but it's too costly to protect the pitch, so concerts don't happen there anymore.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

You and I mostly agree, but I think a custom built skc could go up in size for international friendlies and other events.

Arrowhead isn't needed at that size for most things.