New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:59 pm No secret I'm 100% opposed to a move to KS and prefer a huge Arrowhead makeover. WIthout giving away too much, a few big picture aspects:

Remove lower bowl from NW end of stadium.
Install steel structure with a clear span allowing the field surface to move out of the stadium.
Re-install NW seating bowl.
Perm concrete floor under playing surface for quick conversion into non-sports event setup.
Build similar structure on NE side to match NW structure.
No dome, never a dome....... ever.
Instead, build a new exoskeleton around the current stadium with an open air roof system.
New roof system should cover spectator area but not the playing surface.
New roof system allows for a major Audio Visual upgrade with rigging for speakers, LED signage etc.
New roof system allows adding infrared stadium heaters.
Add field level suites.

TSC itself doesn't need to be this year-round complex. The surrounding areas need major improvements but football stadiums are destination islands naturally and I don't think KC should be the ones to try and change this.
Just building new at that point will be easier and cheaper
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:23 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:59 pm No secret I'm 100% opposed to a move to KS and prefer a huge Arrowhead makeover. WIthout giving away too much, a few big picture aspects:

Remove lower bowl from NW end of stadium.
Install steel structure with a clear span allowing the field surface to move out of the stadium.
Re-install NW seating bowl.
Perm concrete floor under playing surface for quick conversion into non-sports event setup.
Build similar structure on NE side to match NW structure.
No dome, never a dome....... ever.
Instead, build a new exoskeleton around the current stadium with an open air roof system.
New roof system should cover spectator area but not the playing surface.
New roof system allows for a major Audio Visual upgrade with rigging for speakers, LED signage etc.
New roof system allows adding infrared stadium heaters.
Add field level suites.

TSC itself doesn't need to be this year-round complex. The surrounding areas need major improvements but football stadiums are destination islands naturally and I don't think KC should be the ones to try and change this.
Just building new at that point will be easier and cheaper
Wouldn’t be cheaper but definitely easier. Arrowhead is one of a few remaining iconic and historical NFL stadiums. Green Bay will never replace Lambeau unless forced. Arrowhead is widely considered in that same realm of football history. I don’t think anyone on here advocating for a brand new stadium is considering Clark Hunts commitment to tradition.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Any new roof system should incorporate the same curve as the distinctive accidental "swooshes" that are on the upper of the ends of the bowl. They are as distinctive as that other curved object on the other side of the state.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I’d be ok with a roof like Sofi which would be transparent. Would be amazing if it were in the shape of the arrowhead logo but, that won’t happen these days.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

My problem with everything on this forum is they never say how to pay for it.

With the royals, it's natural. Just build a bunch of fountains around it and call it a new Kaufman downtown. Surround it with amenities and hope you make some money back.

I don't know what the chiefs want? What's their end game?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:33 pm My problem with everything on this forum is they never say how to pay for it.

With the royals, it's natural. Just build a bunch of fountains around it and call it a new Kaufman downtown. Surround it with amenities and hope you make some money back.

More revenue opportunities. That's literally what it's all about.

The Royals stadium is about revenue too. And Shermans personal wealth.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Oh and how to pay for it? I'm a dreamer, I let the finance guys figure out the paying for it part. I feel like these things are never actually paid for or paid off. It's just a massive long term investment.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Man...seeing SoFi all tonight and then seeing Arrowhead shown in those Chiefs commercials..yuck, sorry what a contrast. Arrowhead just looks so bland after seeing the full blast of SoFi tonight.

We gotta get something better ffs even Buffalo & Nashville are. We are the home of Pat Mahomes and a powerhouse, act like it & take advantage of it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:51 pm Man...seeing SoFi all tonight and then seeing Arrowhead shown in those Chiefs commercials..yuck, sorry what a contrast. Arrowhead just looks so bland after seeing the full blast of SoFi tonight.

We gotta get something better ffs even Buffalo & Nashville are. We are the home of Pat Mahomes and a powerhouse, act like it & take advantage of it.
You can literally make arrowhead feel and look that glitzy while keeping a few of the most iconic features. The shape of the bowl for example. We have the best architects in the world available and ready for the challenge. How cool would a modern Arrowhead be yet retain just a touch of the history.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:04 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:51 pm Man...seeing SoFi all tonight and then seeing Arrowhead shown in those Chiefs commercials..yuck, sorry what a contrast. Arrowhead just looks so bland after seeing the full blast of SoFi tonight.

You can literally make arrowhead feel and look that glitzy while keeping a few of the most iconic features. The shape of the bowl for example. We have the best architects in the world available and ready for the challenge. How cool would a modern Arrowhead be yet retain just a touch of the history.
I think all we really need is a roof like So-Fi and then clean up the dogshit area as much as possible.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:37 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:33 pm My problem with everything on this forum is they never say how to pay for it.

Revenue from what?

All the stuff you mentioned is not going to cover the cost.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:06 pm

Revenue from what?

Revenue from the stadium can go to operations DNE paying for itself. If the county builds them a stadium they can get more revenue for ops, training, etc.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

We're not Lambeau. We're like the Dodger Stadium of the NFL. Pretty historic, but not in the elite level. I know KC thinks they are but they're not. And we could definitely use a new stadium/renovation.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:06 pm

Revenue from what?

It’s like any business. Revenue pays the bills including the loan payments used to finance stadium construction. It’s up to the business if they want to expedite those payments or work towards paying off the loans sooner than later.

Even the privately financed Sofi stadium currently has hundreds of millions worth of debt.

To remain competitive you need to generate revenue. Adding luxury suites and club level seats is a major factor.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:25 pm We're not Lambeau. We're like the Dodger Stadium of the NFL. Pretty historic, but not in the elite level. I know KC thinks they are but they're not. And we could definitely use a new stadium/renovation.
Lambeau is the Wrigley of the NFL. It won’t get replaced until it’s literally unsafe. Arrowhead is a close second historically amongst current NFL stadiums.

Of course KC think highly of arrowhead but so do the majority of nfl fans. Arrowhead is constantly ranked in the top 5 bucket list stadiums to visit. Lambeau is always number 1. Rightfully so.

We are also not a market that can support a several billion dollar brand new stadium. So any ideas of trying to build a Sofi, allegiant or Mercedes Benz type stadium is unrealistic.

This is why it makes sense to spend money on modernizing arrowhead as some of the biggest expenses of new build is land acquisition, excavation and seating bowl construction. A billion dollar renovation could do wonders and come in 1/4th the price of a new build.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:20 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:25 pm We're not Lambeau. We're like the Dodger Stadium of the NFL. Pretty historic, but not in the elite level. I know KC thinks they are but they're not. And we could definitely use a new stadium/renovation.
Lambeau is the Wrigley of the NFL. It won’t get replaced until it’s literally unsafe. Arrowhead is a close second historically amongst current NFL stadiums.

Of course KC think highly of arrowhead but so do the majority of nfl fans. Arrowhead is constantly ranked in the top 5 bucket list stadiums to visit. Lambeau is always number 1. Rightfully so.

We are also not a market that can support a several billion dollar brand new stadium. So any ideas of trying to build a Sofi, allegiant or Mercedes Benz type stadium is unrealistic.

This is why it makes sense to spend money on modernizing arrowhead as some of the biggest expenses of new build is land acquisition, excavation and seating bowl construction. A billion dollar renovation could do wonders and come in 1/4th the price of a new build.
I just wanted to take the opportunity there to finally get to be the "kC iSnT gOoD eNoUgH" guy for once like half of Rag gets to be everyday. Lol. It was fun for that one moment there. Just wanted to know what it felt.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

^ lol, well you nailed it!

I respect the opinions of a few of those guys who often say things like that but you can't pop into town a few times a year and make blanket judgements about the city as a whole. Visual judgements like everything around TSC is a dump is one thing but saying "KC just isn't that busy" isn't accurate.

Also, it's hard to argue against the fact that KC folks are VERY proud. Besides your typical mega markets like LA and NYC, you don't often see people constantly representing their cities like KC people do.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I'm not sure why I share some of these ideas on here but another one. Instead of trying to build some kind of mixed-use development next to Arrowhead after the K is KO'd, build a top of the line 20,000 seat amphitheater. We need a replacement for Azura that's in a better location, closer to options that make it more possible to enjoy the entire night. This might also spur the surrounding areas to clean up and invest knowing they'll have 30-40 events a year. Share amenities like parking is big.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Arrowhead is an amphitheater. By amphitheater I assume you mean an open air theater such as Starlight but even larger seating capacity? Could the K be recycled for this by removing the upper deck ? Just trying to be a little more carbon neutral.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:36 pm ^ lol, well you nailed it!

I respect the opinions of a few of those guys who often say things like that but you can't pop into town a few times a year and make blanket judgements about the city as a whole. Visual judgements like everything around TSC is a dump is one thing but saying "KC just isn't that busy" isn't accurate.

Also, it's hard to argue against the fact that KC folks are VERY proud. Besides your typical mega markets like LA and NYC, you don't often see people constantly representing their cities like KC people do.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about, you can't make statements like that unless you're there pretty much everyday.
Other things that annoy the shit out of me: people ranting for literally days when a project like Lux dies, but then when it gets revived you don't hear a peep. And just other typical "you can't have that" stuff. It's all just straight up dooming.