New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by Rusty Irish »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:23 pm
I’m disappointed we aren’t getting a mixed-use component to this, but I’m never going to say “never” to that one. The Hunts have other things in mind from what I’ve been told on that front.
Any idea what? Relocation of HQ/practice facility and surrounding development?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I wonder how much being in KC School district is holding back the area? If KC could get TSC area flipped from KCSD to Raytown or Indp. school districts would that make it any more desirable for a mixed use development full of apts?

If they could get a target, a strip mall with chipotle and places that will draw guaranteed customers the area could actually fill out, but then again the walmart just an exit to the east is a top 5 walmart in the country for thefts so no major retailer wants to be in that area.

They should just let hunt midwest fill the area with tilt up warehouses honestly, generates tax income and at least gets the area built out with sidewalks and daily traffic.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Rusty Irish wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:19 am
I’m disappointed we aren’t getting a mixed-use component to this, but I’m never going to say “never” to that one. The Hunts have other things in mind from what I’ve been told on that front.
New training and office facilities in Kansas.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Who pays the cost of demolition of the K and what is that estimate? BTW does anyone REALLY care that the concrete from the K will be repurposed? Just seems like lip service to be responsible stewards of the environment but maybe (probably) I'm out of touch.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcjak wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:12 am Who pays the cost of demolition of the K and what is that estimate? BTW does anyone REALLY care that the concrete from the K will be repurposed? Just seems like lip service to be responsible stewards of the environment but maybe (probably) I'm out of touch.
Does repurposed mean, used to fill in the hole where the K used to be?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:22 am
kcjak wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:12 am Who pays the cost of demolition of the K and what is that estimate? BTW does anyone REALLY care that the concrete from the K will be repurposed? Just seems like lip service to be responsible stewards of the environment but maybe (probably) I'm out of touch.
Does repurposed mean, used to fill in the hole where the K used to be?
Yes and the teams will pay for demolition. No taxpayer money will cover that.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I mean this is all fungible money. Let's not make a mockery out of this.

Let's just say what it is, Jackson county giving a few hundred million to do with as they please.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:00 am I mean this is all fungible money. Let's not make a mockery out of this.

Let's just say what it is, Jackson county giving a few hundred million to do with as they please.
Worth it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:10 am Maybe but T-Mobile was purpose built for two levels of suites and arrowhead was not. You’d end up with very low and cramped ceiling heights on the level 100 concourses. They’d have to completely modify the structural design of the club level and decrease the overall stadium capacity significantly.
I don't think you're understanding so I'll drop it. The club level already has two levels on the sides for press boxes and suites below. There's plenty of room to make two levels of suites all the way around. Doesn't affect 100 level at all.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Kauffman and Arrowhead were built at the same time.

The concrete at Kauffman is so bad, renovating it is not an option.

But all Arrowhead needs is a renovation.
KC is the way to be!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:52 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:10 am Maybe but T-Mobile was purpose built for two levels of suites and arrowhead was not. You’d end up with very low and cramped ceiling heights on the level 100 concourses. They’d have to completely modify the structural design of the club level and decrease the overall stadium capacity significantly.
I don't think you're understanding so I'll drop it. The club level already has two levels on the sides for press boxes and suites below. There's plenty of room to make two levels of suites all the way around. Doesn't affect 100 level at all.
The only way to accomplish what you're saying is to remove all exterior seating on the club level and make it all interior suites. The best suites have the ability to sit outside as well. And if you've walked all of the level 100 concourse, you'll notice the ceiling drops over the 100 level where there are lower level suites or press boxes above. Here's a good image. No two tiered suites to the left with the two tiered sections starting to the right

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:02 am
If they move their corporate offices and training facilities to KS after Jackson County hands them a blank check for over half billion dollars, wouldn't that piss a lot of people off.

Personally, this whole thing has soured me a bit on the Chiefs and the Hunts. Replacing Kauffman with some grass is just messed up.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

It would piss me off, Grid. I would rather the team move everything over to Kansas and get us a new stadium at the Legends or whatever then have a split scenario with everything Chiefs over in KS and Arrowhead sitting by itself in the rotting TSC to be used 10x/year for the county's $800M.

If the Chiefs want out of TSC I'm fine with that, but let's make it happen now instead of 20 years from now, and stop throwing good money after bad.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Has there been any conversations on this forum about the bluff/business center area southwest of downtown adjacent to SW Blvd? Seems like a great place for a football stadium. The Chiefs could put the training facility/team offices in "KS", and opportunities for commercial and retail real estate revenue along the blvd. Chiefs dip into both states for support.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:02 am
Yup

https://www.visitfrisco.com/listing/the-star/2391/
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just had a couple of people stop by with Vote Yes Flyers. Asked me how I was going to vote. Said undecided. Asked why. Said closing Oak and underwhelming announcement from the Chiefs. Canvasser said "Oh really because I understand they are building a retractable roof to get the Super Bowl". I told them there was no mention of that in any release and it would be way more than they are budgeting. WTF?
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:45 pm Just had a couple of people stop by with Vote Yes Flyers. Asked me how I was going to vote. Said undecided. Asked why. Said closing Oak and underwhelming announcement from the Chiefs. Canvasser said "Oh really because I understand they are building a retractable roof to get the Super Bowl". I told them there was no mention of that in any release and it would be way more than they are budgeting. WTF?
Uninformed people supporting something one way or the other, in the USA?!?! Color me shocked.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KC_Ari wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:55 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:45 pm Just had a couple of people stop by with Vote Yes Flyers. Asked me how I was going to vote. Said undecided. Asked why. Said closing Oak and underwhelming announcement from the Chiefs. Canvasser said "Oh really because I understand they are building a retractable roof to get the Super Bowl". I told them there was no mention of that in any release and it would be way more than they are budgeting. WTF?
Uninformed people supporting something one way or the other, in the USA?!?! Color me shocked.
What are you talking about? These we paid pollsters with the "Committee to Keep the Chiefs and Royals". They weren't just some randos out walking about.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:01 pm
KC_Ari wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:55 pm
What are you talking about? These we paid pollsters with the "Committee to Keep the Chiefs and Royals". They weren't just some randos out walking about.
Uninformed nonetheless