Is KC Tenants destroying the development future of downtown KCMO?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Is KC Tenants destroying the development future of downtown KCMO?

Post by Sirius_Blue »

And now the Star is reporting KC Tenants' Google Doc survey where people self-reported their rent (and other housing costs) as fact. https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 13831.html
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

With the Lux development going forward without an affordable component, KC Tenants has prevented the addition of over 100 new or rehabilitated affordable apartments at Lux and Armour/Main.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Pastense wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:17 am With the Lux development going forward without an affordable component, KC Tenants has prevented the addition of over 100 new or rehabilitated affordable apartments at Lux and Armour/Main.
They were told that is what would happen. All new construction would just be market rate. It's hilarious.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Bunch is now on record as supporting the Katz redevelopment. And KC Tenants is still playing the victim like the big bad church did it out of spite.
The KCUR article also claimed the church bought it in 2019. They did not. They bought it in 2011 I believe.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It might have been mentioned here, but has anyone noticed all the paper signs they placed on street lights down Armour? They're complaining that rent went up 26% last year and "that ain't right". The signs encourage people to contact them and report their findings. All I could think about while seeing those is how pathetic they are. They're oblivious to the simple concept of supply and demand. Them getting some projects canceled, only to have them come back as market rate with no affordable units (like the Lux one so far) is the slap in the face they need.

Their relevance is starting to fade.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:47 pm It might have been mentioned here, but has anyone noticed all the paper signs they placed on street lights down Armour? They're complaining that rent went up 26% last year and "that ain't right". The signs encourage people to contact them and report their findings. All I could think about while seeing those is how pathetic they are. They're oblivious to the simple concept of supply and demand. Them getting some projects canceled, only to have them come back as market rate with no affordable units (like the Lux one so far) is the slap in the face they need.

Their relevance is starting to fade.
All signage is illegal and you are free to remove it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:53 pm All signage is illegal and you are free to remove it.
Don’t tempt me with a good time
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:03 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:53 pm All signage is illegal and you are free to remove it.
A good time would be spamming their QR code
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:47 pm Their relevance is starting to fade.
Agreed. Anecdotally, whereas a year ago I was hearing a lot of misinformed talk about the incentive process and some blind embrace of their org, now I'm hearing a lot more realistic takes from some of the same people. All they achieved was blocking housing units from coming onto the market and this was noticed. I know some reasonable people who generally hate big developers and toss around the gentrification word a lot, they've had their ears open more lately to the supply/demand driven, anti-Nimby, approach I've always advocated for. Also hearing more general negativity on KC tenants as of late.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

A local company I used to work for had this as a cultural mantra: "Those who oppose, must propose." It is not enough merely to stand in the way of an idea, that's a half thought. You have to propose a decent workable alternative.

Pay attention to politics for any length of time and you'll quickly become aware of a corollary: Counterfeit proposals don't count. I can propose that we fix all local roads permanently for $1 but without making abundantly clear how my idea is grounded in reality, I should be ignored.

To this day I haven't seen any true proposal from KC Tenants, just opposition to others' projects. Am I missing anything? Do they have actually some workable ideas that just aren't getting media coverage?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

HalcyonKC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:44 am A local company I used to work for had this as a cultural mantra: "Those who oppose, must propose." It is not enough merely to stand in the way of an idea, that's a half thought. You have to propose a decent workable alternative.

Pay attention to politics for any length of time and you'll quickly become aware of a corollary: Counterfeit proposals don't count. I can propose that we fix all local roads permanently for $1 but without making abundantly clear how my idea is grounded in reality, I should be ignored.

To this day I haven't seen any true proposal from KC Tenants, just opposition to others' projects. Am I missing anything? Do they have actually some workable ideas that just aren't getting media coverage?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LaxUMF ... XkwL4/view

I think the above link is their proposed solution. To your point, I don't know how grounded it is in reality.

They want housing to be publicly funded and maintained by revenue generated from cutting KCPD's budget and "taxing the gentrifiers"
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Fun how they get to define who the "gentrifiers" are
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The majority of structures in any city were constructed by developers at some point. Many now affordable old houses were built by real estate developers years ago. Only wealthier people can usually afford to build one-off houses on a site they choose.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:14 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:03 pm
A good time would be spamming their QR code
I will gladly host a "spam party." :lol: :lol: :lol:
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is good to see they are losing traction. Seems the only notable loss at this point is MAC's Armour/Main proposal and would expect that will come back in another form as MAC has significant vested interest along the entire Armour stretch. Something will happen, maybe even something more formidable but they may wait until streetcar is up and running and/or economic uncertainties to settle down. Hope to see them grab the Burger King lot too.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:40 am Is good to see they are losing traction. Seems the only notable loss at this point is MAC's Armour/Main proposal and would expect that will come back in another form as MAC has significant vested interest along the entire Armour stretch. Something will happen, maybe even something more formidable but they may wait until streetcar is up and running and/or economic uncertainties to settle down. Hope to see them grab the Burger King lot too.
There are a few "big" projects I know of that where killed before they got announced because of what happened to Armour/Main proposal.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Which ones and is it known that KC Tenants was the primary reason. There are many projects proposed in any given city that don't make it to a construction start or delayed for years as there are many many factors in play. Demand is decreasing in many markets for one.

Either way, it appears KCT is losing traction and City is working towards being more developer friendly, at least relatively more.

And Armour/Main is such a prime location that something will eventually happen by the time streetcar is running or so.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:07 am ^Which ones and is it known that KC Tenants was the primary reason. There are many projects proposed in any given city that don't make it to a construction start or delayed for years as there are many many factors in play.

Either way, it appears KCT is losing traction and City is working towards being more developer friendly, at least relatively more.

And Armour/Main is such a prime location that something will eventually happen by the time streetcar is running or so.
Yes, these are ones where the developers told me KCT's rise and Mainland failing stopped them in their tracks. Not announced so I can't share.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Demand also appears to be diminishing some so could actually be the higher factor but KCT is indeed a problem so some would give that as the primary reason even though probably not. Keep in mind there are typically 25K+ units proposed at any given time in KC metro but only about 4K-6K or so turn into a construction start per year even when great incentives available.

In many markets starts are going down a bit as demand cuts back in addition to all the other economic/labor/supply chain issues.

Also MAC had an ask that raised eyebrows with even those wanting more favorable incentives.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:57 am
HalcyonKC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:44 am A local company I used to work for had this as a cultural mantra: "Those who oppose, must propose." It is not enough merely to stand in the way of an idea, that's a half thought. You have to propose a decent workable alternative.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LaxUMF ... XkwL4/view

I think the above link is their proposed solution. To your point, I don't know how grounded it is in reality.

They want housing to be publicly funded and maintained by revenue generated from cutting KCPD's budget and "taxing the gentrifiers"

Just noticed this.

Their KC Tenants propaganda is steeped with "BLM" reference. The fist-in-the-air imagery used repetitively.

After the fall of BLM (donations directed to Los Angeles upper-bracket real estate, "defund police" baloney, violence, undisputed links to Marxist doctrine), clearly KC Tenants would be well served to employ a marketing strategy which doesn't alienate the masses.

Their advert is speaking directly to the violent Marxist continent within KC.

Good. KC Tenants is a group of zeros. Let them lose the last thread of public support they enjoy.