Is KC Tenants destroying the development future of downtown KCMO?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Is KC Tenants destroying the development future of downtown KCMO?

Post by herrfrank »

im2kull wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am Their founder lives in Mission Hills, and graduated from Harvard. She's not exactly opaque about her goals.
This is hilarious. Mission Hills is slowly becoming limousine liberal land, although Trump did carry it by 5 votes. But if so much as a single brown face crosses State Line Road in a jalopy, the police get multiple calls.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

im2kull wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am
moderne wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:45 pm Saw No on stadium ad on TV sponsored by KC Tenants. I do not understand what advocating for No (or Yes) on the issue does for the interests of lower income renters. How is KC Tenants funded that they can afford to buy television ad space?
Metro wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am
bspecht wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:00 pm Many 503(c)(3)s no longer have to report who they receive their money from. KCT had $1.22M in bank at end of 2022.

You can see KC Tenants financials + Form 990s here: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprof ... /845137189
I asked them and Jennifer Manley where they were getting their money and neither would respond.
Y'all really don't read my posts on this subject, do you?

KCT isn't a tenant advocacy organization. It's also not a "KC" organization. And, "Affordable" housing isn't their game or goal.

Their funding comes from exactly where you'd expect it to come from.. out of town interests.

Their founder lives in Mission Hills, and graduated from Harvard. She's not exactly opaque about her goals.
Links?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Metro wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 pm
moderne wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:45 pm Saw No on stadium ad on TV sponsored by KC Tenants. I do not understand what advocating for No (or Yes) on the issue does for the interests of lower income renters. How is KC Tenants funded that they can afford to buy television ad space?

I asked them and Jennifer Manley where they were getting their money and neither would respond.

KCT isn't a tenant advocacy organization. It's also not a "KC" organization. And, "Affordable" housing isn't their game or goal.

Their funding comes from exactly where you'd expect it to come from.. out of town interests.

Their founder lives in Mission Hills, and graduated from Harvard. She's not exactly opaque about her goals.
Links?
KC Star, Propublica, Google.

Edit: here is a link with some background info. Was about to take a Hedgefund job out of Harvard but her heart was touched after meeting a couple at McDonalds.

https://amp.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 62767.html
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^^So she lives in Mission Woods. Not much different. My remaining comments are the same.

Mission Woods is probably the most exclusive "town" in the metro btw. And nobody knows it's there, tucked into the Mission Hills Country Club. LOLOL
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

herrfrank wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:38 pm ^^So she lives in Mission Woods. Not much different. My remaining comments are the same.

Mission Woods is probably the most exclusive "town" in the metro btw. And nobody knows it's there, tucked into the Mission Hills Country Club. LOLOL
Famously the town is not a fan of the MHCC pickleball courts

https://www.kctv5.com/2022/05/23/lawsui ... utType=amp
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

langosta wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 pm

Links?
KC Star, Propublica, Google.

Edit: here is a link with some background info. Was about to take a Hedgefund job out of Harvard but her heart was touched after meeting a couple at McDonalds.

https://amp.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 62767.html
Thank you
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Links?
Their MEIC filings will make you sick if you go back and see how much they've paid folks like Bunch, Manley, etc. And these filings are just the tip of the iceberg. They have >$1M in liquid assets.. not being used for affordable housing..

https://www.mec.mo.gov/mec/Campaign_Fin ... ID=N230120
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

bspecht wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:00 pm Many 503(c)(3)s no longer have to report who they receive their money from. KCT had $1.22M in bank at end of 2022.

You can see KC Tenants financials + Form 990s here: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprof ... /845137189

I think she grew up in Mission Woods but I’m pretty sure she lives around Columbus Park somewhere.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

im2kull wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:39 pm

Links?
Their MEIC filings will make you sick if you go back and see how much they've paid folks like Bunch, Manley, etc. And these filings are just the tip of the iceberg. They have >$1M in liquid assets.. not being used for affordable housing..

Hopefully they are being investigated. It's interesting they I believe get some sort of money from the city and yet are running political ads.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Links?

Nothing seemed too egregious except the $90,000 expenditures for Manleys campaign. I’m more interested in where their funding COMES from than where it goes in all honesty…
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anecdotally my family members were talking about KC Tenants on Easter Sunday. This stadium issue has helped them become part of the conversation even for those that aren’t particularly plugged in to these things.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Imarealperson wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:26 am

I think she grew up in Mission Woods but I’m pretty sure she lives around Columbus Park somewhere.
It’s possible she moved but last filled at mom and dads house in KS
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:45 am

Links?

Nothing seemed too egregious except the $90,000 expenditures for Manleys campaign. I’m more interested in where their funding COMES from than where it goes in all honesty…
TBF it was a total of over $165K for Manley and over $40K for Duncan. Bunch only got $7K, which was basically the minimum they gave to candidates they supported.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 am
Cratedigger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:25 pm
im2kull wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:11 pm KC Tenants Impact:

Stalled or cancelled 19 projects comprising 172 vertical floors of construction, eliminating 4,400 proposed units of housing, 1,200 hotel rooms, and $3,721,900,000 worth of development.
Source?

I don’t doubt they have impacted development, but other factors such as interest rates and a SEC investigation for one specific developer have contributed as well.
Sources: https://clerk.kcmo.gov/Legislation.aspx , Cityscene, https://kctenants.org/press

I think you are making the common mistake of minimizing their negative impacts. It's an easy mistake to make when viewing through too narrow a lens.
Looks like we can add another billion or so in losses to the list. It's a shame so many people still write off such a powerful organization and cannot admit that their actions are having costly reactions. They're continuing to bring development to a grinding halt in this town. RIP Royals. RIP Chiefs.

Links?

I've already done the math on this one. It comes from the same place most big money political contributions come from in this country. Major out of state interest. You should be able to figure it out easy enough if you think about the obvious, usual suspects.

bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:43 pm

TBF it was a total of over $165K for Manley and over $40K for Duncan. Bunch only got $7K, which was basically the minimum they gave to candidates they supported.
Correct.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:03 pm
im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 am
Cratedigger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:25 pm

Source?

I don’t doubt they have impacted development, but other factors such as interest rates and a SEC investigation for one specific developer have contributed as well.
Sources: https://clerk.kcmo.gov/Legislation.aspx , Cityscene, https://kctenants.org/press

I think you are making the common mistake of minimizing their negative impacts. It's an easy mistake to make when viewing through too narrow a lens.
Looks like we can add another billion or so in losses to the list. It's a shame so many people still write off such a powerful organization and cannot admit that their actions are having costly reactions. They're continuing to bring development to a grinding halt in this town. RIP Royals. RIP Chiefs.

I've already done the math on this one. It comes from the same place most big money political contributions come from in this country. Major out of state interest. You should be able to figure it out easy enough if you think about the obvious, usual suspects.

bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:43 pm
Correct.
I’m just asking if there is a paper trail or direct evidence of where their money comes from…not engaging in conspiracy theories
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

The negative and misleading No campaign by KC Tenants didn't affect my vote. I voted No in response to the terrible, disorganized, and misleading Yes campaign managed by Jeff Roe of Ron DeSantis fame. My decision was finalized when I saw the "Radical Liberals are Hellbent On Taking The Chiefs Away From Us" mailing. As a Radical Liberal who has loved the Royals and the Chiefs and wants a Downtown Stadium, I guess being enlightened as to the politics of the teams owners (I shouldn't have been shocked, I know) and their selection of Jeff Roe put me over the edge. This is as bad as when the Civic Council picked Brice Harris to be mayor of KC in 1991 and he finished third. Just because you're rich, it doesn't mean you're bright or competent.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Yep, no way I would vote for it after that mailing. Not sure why the Royals thought it would be smart to demonize at least half the population.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

I wonder what the housing stock would look like if KCT spent half as much time doing things rather than stopping things. A solutions based platform seems like a great use of their growing resources and notoriety, it's a shame that their focus has been obstruction.

For example:

https://www.apricitas.io/p/new-zealands ... omand-what
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

I assume that Pete Mundo is pals with Jeff Roe thinking KC Tenants and Sunrise Movement KC would push anti-tax conservatives to yote yes, we can expect them to be a big issue in the MO GOP GOV primary is Jeff Roe is still finding work
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

TrolliKC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:37 pm Yep, no way I would vote for it after that mailing. Not sure why the Royals thought it would be smart to demonize at least half the population.
Jeff Roe must have thought it would push anti-tax conservatives to vote yes