KCMO looked good on TV last night

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

KCMO looked good on TV last night

Post by GRID »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: KCMO looked good on TV last night

Post by moderne »

Don't think any national audience would be impressed unless from Wichita or Wall Walla.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:27 pm Don't think any national audience would be impressed unless from Wichita or Wall Walla.
When the National Audience expects it to look like Witchita, these images are "impressive."
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:27 pm Don't think any national audience would be impressed unless from Wichita or Wall Walla.
The national audience expects corn fields and cows…
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC is just a mid sized city, so yeah, it should not be super impressive. But most people don't even realize that KC is as large as it is. So it's nice for the city to get some publicity.

Also, this once again show that it really does not matter where the stadium is. NBC always does a great job. Titan's stadium is literally in downtown Nashville and the last national game I saw at Titans barely showed any skyline shots of Nashville.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Downtown KC is a very attractively arranged downtown. One of the commentators said something like “great architecture here in kansas city” during one of these shots
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Oh come on. Dude this is an impressive skyline and look. Downtown KC looks bigger and flashier than alot of cities twice its size. Any similar sized downtown looks like a shell compared to KC outside of maybe Austin.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I specifically loved the shot of Liberty Memorial. But I wiish they would stop showing the ass end of the Kauffman Center. Front side is much more impressive on TV.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I agree the shot with the Liberty Memorial in the center was fantastic! I also liked the shot that was taken from southeast of the memorial that showed the entire downtown area. Lots of red! All we need is a giant screen showing Tyreek Hill cheerleading😂!

The only improvement would be the Oak Tower restored and dramatically lit up in all of it’s glory!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:16 am
Oh come on. Dude this is an impressive skyline and look. Downtown KC looks bigger and flashier than alot of cities twice its size. Any similar sized downtown looks like a shell compared to KC outside of maybe Austin.
It really depends on how you photograph KC. Downtown KC can look tiny from some angles and huge from others. I think NBC did a pretty good job and KC's buildings are really lit up well now.

Again, KC's skyline is pretty average for the size of the metro, but most people just don't realize that KC is as large as it is. I follow games on reddit and a few people mentioned that downtown KC looked pretty amazing.

KC gets another Sunday evening prime time game, but CBS is typically not as good at showing off a city.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

GRID wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:40 am Again, KC's skyline is pretty average for the size of the metro
What metros around 2 million do you think have better skylines?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:32 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:40 am Again, KC's skyline is pretty average for the size of the metro
I love KC's skyline. Am very proud of it.

If we're shouting out cool skylines though, I think Vancouver and Charlotte have pretty good ones
KCDowntownLoop
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCDowntownLoop »

I know this: Indy's skyline during the CFB championship game did not impress me like KC's did Sunday night.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Sorry if I hit a nerve, did not mean to be snarky. I love KC and have spent all but 2 years of my adult life here, and at cost to career and finances. Kansas City has lots of man made beauty and charm. I find it more in the Kessler parks and boulevards, colonnades, terra cotta deco, limestone clad buildings and old residential districts of lawns and forests. Downtown KC can look more impressive than it is from a distance due to the placement on a summit. From the east side without a rising summit, not so much. I had a visitor from LA who asked me if there was some sort of gravity anomaly in the center of the country that made the DT buildings so squatty. Another visitor from Frankfurt who I took to the top of city hall asked me where the skyscrapers were. If Crown Center had not been built apart from the traditional CBD but in it or adjoining, there would have been better density and DT would not look as anemic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't know that many have better skylines. KC's skyline is good because it has more than just tall buildings. Union Station, the PAC, Liberty Memorial and it has a nice mix of art deco and modern towers. It really needs a few more new towers though. Much of downtown has not changed in decades.

Again, I think it really depends on how you photograph it. The Downtown core inside the loop is actually kind of small (almost tulsa or omaha sized) and has way too many parking lots. It's when you bring in the crossroads, crown center, union station etc that makes the skyline look much better.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

East bound i70 approach is Omaha esque
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:53 pm East bound i70 approach is Omaha esque
westbound too.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Pittsburgh.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

What really helps downtown KC is the fact that it sits on a hill and provides quite an evocative view from the Liberty Memorial. It's a nice looking downtown from any vantage point (although it does look smaller viewed from the east) but the southern view creates one of the more attractive downtown views in the US with Liberty Memorial and Downtown sitting on opposing hills. It may not be one of the more impressive skylines but the setting makes it really beautiful and the TV crews did a great job enhancing that.