OFFICIAL - Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Post by trailerkid »

In the Star today they said that a real estate agent unveiled the anchors to the new Walk at Highpointe mall at 135th and Metcalf. These DEFINITELY aren't confirmed, but this place sounds like it'll be a MAJOR disappoinment. Sears, Von Maur, AMC, and Famous Barr (??!!!) were named as the anchor tenents.

First, Von Maur. KC really doesn't need a Von Maur and especially not so close to who they copy. . .Nordstrom. Von Maur would be better at Metro North or at the new mall by the speedway. Give us some big-name stuff like Macy's, Nieman's, or Lord and Taylor. Von Maur is famous in Iowa. . . need I say more?

Then, AMC. With how many theaters that are already in Jo Co, they have to be out of their freaking minds!!! Plus, do they really want to build a new theater about a mile away from Town Center?

Next, Famous Barr. This is truly the most shocking of all. May would open a St. Louis brand name in KC when we have our own brand (Jones) that has now identical stores as Famous Barr. People in KC aren't that desparate that we'd shop somewhere cause we wanna shop at a "St. Louis store" even though it has identical products as Jones. Give me a break!

Lastly, Sears. Enough said.

The developers are starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel to bring exclusive stores into KC. There's too much retail in Jo Co and this shows its not easy to bring in the big names when you're next to Oak Park and Town Center.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

News on new OP mall

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree, those tenants kind of made me laugh.....Steiner is pulling a lot better tenants up north. I always heard a Lord & Taylor was going to be part of that deal....who knows.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

News on new OP mall

Post by KCgridlock »

Wake me up when they start construction. That mall has been delayed more than me on I-70.
rentrgr
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Another mall?

Post by rentrgr »

Another mall in OP???? :roll: And what is JoCo gonna do with another AMC theatre? We already have 50+ screens....
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

News on new OP mall

Post by StL_Dan »

Actually, the company that owned Jones Stores was bought by the company that owns Famous*Barr.

Thus, Jones Store sells FB merchandise.

RE: Theaters.
I agree with the assertation that enough is enough when it comes to the number of theaters being built in KC.

I remember when the Southglen was a big friggin deal....now it is no more, same for the one caddycorner from it on the NW corner of Metcalf and 119th (the Lucasound theater - gone)......Great Mall of the Great Plains is a disappointment - it doesn't get significant traffic. Westglen looks dead already, although more poeple are moving into housing out that way. AMC 30 in Olathe dominates these venues right now.

Even the AMC 6 (OP Mall AMC) is a dollar theater now.
Last edited by StL_Dan on Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

News on new OP mall

Post by ShowME »

I agree with Gridlock. This parcel of land has been delayed it seems like forever. Johnson County really needs to examine itself about developing another mall. IMO Oak Park is going downhill. Metcalf South will be similar to Indian Springs in a few years after The Jones Store bails. Town Center already has there biggest anchor Jacobson's vacant and I noticed the other night that The Uptown Diner is now closed which will become a big eyesore on the corner of Roe & 119th St. With the current state of the economy and the already saturated Johnson County retail market who would be stupid enough to build this project. I also refuse to shop at mall's in general but especially one as AMC as one of there anchor's. This just attracts the teenage crowd who have nothing to do but hang out at shopping malls. Surely KC has something else for young kids to do than this.
Calling a spade a spade.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

News on new OP mall

Post by trailerkid »

Jones, Foley's, Famous Barr, and Robinson May are all the same store now, just different names.

Oak Park going downhill??? If attracting tons of quality tenants and constantly staying in touch with what's hot in retail is downhill...then Oak Park is on the downward spiral.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

One Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Post by trailerkid »

The site of the failed Walk at Highpoint is now under contract to become a 1,000,000 sq. foot outdoor mall. Cormac Co., of Omaha, is planning and developing the project in an area next to RED's Cornerstone (227,000 sq. feet) at 135th and Nall, State Line Station at 135th and State Line, and Parkway Place (160,000) at 135th and Roe.

I realize all the talk about "demographics" and "income" but how much more cookie cutter retail and restaurants can this area take?

[quote]
Overland Park tract gets new buyer
Cormac Co. plans open-air mall at 135th and Metcalf
By JOYCE SMITH The Kansas City Star

A new developer has a contract to buy the high-profile south Johnson County tract once earmarked for the shelved Walk at High Pointe shopping center.

Copaken White & Blitt had hoped to open the $150 million regional, indoor-outdoor Walk at High Pointe shopping center at the southeast corner of 135th Street and Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park. The center was scheduled to open in mid-2005, but Copaken dropped those plans in March when it couldn't line up enough small retailers. The developer said retailers were being more cautious in their expansion plans because of the poor economy and the war in Iraq.

Now the Omaha, Neb.-based Cormac Co. has a contract to buy the site from A.G. Spanos Corp. and is pursuing plans to develop a 1 million-square-foot, open-air mall with a single department store anchor and a variety of specialty retailers, surrounded by freestanding restaurants and a water feature. The center, which hasn't been named yet, is scheduled to open in the fall of 2006.

“We think this is the best site in Kansas City,â€
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cormac Co. plans outdoor mall at 135th and Metcalf

Post by bahua »

trailerkid wrote:I realize all the talk about "demographics" and "income" but how much more cookie cutter retail and restaurants can this area take?
As many as it takes to get those suburbs down to Oklahoma.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

i'll believe it when i see it--the kid who owns cormac is 30-something trust fund baby whose old man gave him around $400 mm to go play developer
"ALWAYS be closing"
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Instead of building new shopping centers out in the middle of those farm fields, they should build a reasonable grocery store in KCK like a HyVee, or how about a wal-mart super center. Who is the dumbass at wal-mart who thought that a Bonner Springs, a town of 6500 people needed a supercenter, but KCK, a town of 145,000 people only needed a regular wal-mart.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DMW....if I remember right there are plans to put a new wal-mart supercenter around the turner diagonal.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Regional retail center proposed

Post by Missionite »

Apparently another "regional mall" was planned for a site at 135th and Metcalf in Overland Park. Plans for that fell through (Hooray! We didn't need another mall...period!).

Now, Cormac Co. out of Omaha is planning a 1.1 million square-foot outdoor shopping center at the site. Highlights of the center include two major anchors including a 140,000 square-foot department store and four smaller anchors. The firm is trying to get tenants that are not currently in the "marketplace."

The center will be divided into "themed" sections with sections for dining, entertainment, fashion, domestic goods and furniture. A large water feature will be the centerpiece and the area will have lots of landscaping, benches and gazebos. The entire place is supposed to have the pedestrian in mind. Also featured will be an open grass area for concerts and special events.

My mind hasn't been made up on this yet. It's a step in the right direction by replacing the mall concept with an outdoor venue. I guess it could be good for the area, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't venture to southern JoCo too often because everything I need can be found in northern JoCo, Plaza, etc. I guess the idea of concerts and special events is nice though. But, with all of the shopping centers and districts failing across the metro lately and the idea of "Legends" not sounding too optimistic, who knows if this will go over.

The entire article can be read on The Sun web site:
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 5725&rfi=6

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Sounds like ZonaRosa south. Should be a nice project.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Umm, to me, this looks like a retail war between Leawood and OP. Leawood b@#$@smacked OP south of 435 by building Town Center Plaza and now OP wants to retaliate only 15 blocks away. But Leawood has Cornerstone to keep them in the game.

And let's be honest...this development is the same type of thing as Walk at Highpointe only with a crappier developer. Copaken dropped out because they couldn't get the tenants they wanted. Cormac doesn't care and will build a store for whoever wants to be there. And remember, this thing is pretty big. It is larger than Zona Rosa and more similar in size to Oak Park without a few of their anchors.

Here is the original thread...
http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcforum/vi ... php?t=1656
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Not to mention it's about 20 miles removed from the city center....
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Yeah, I can see that open space for public events and concerts being really in demand. From my experience, when people try to simulate culture in the suburbs it lies dead.

"Live, in concert, at the grassy knoll at the strip mall"

Wow.

Now it is only a matter of time until Town Center Plaza becomes an inner-ring blighted shopping area, huh? Wow, this is sad.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

staubio wrote:Now it is only a matter of time until Town Center Plaza becomes an inner-ring blighted shopping area, huh? Wow, this is sad.
Seriously, there's no reason why the KC area cannot support more shopping destinations. As long as these people can continue to keep the place clean and updated with the times, these places should be successful. Blame the owners of Bannister, Blue Ridge, Metcalf South and Metro North for their failures.

Not everything can be in the city center, bahua. I don't see KC changin' the suburban sprawl tide that every other city in North America has been experiencing for the last 4 decades.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Eventually, if you don't live in JOCO, you will have to shop there, oh wait, it is already like that here in KCK.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Ever been up to Barry RD, deadman? JoCo isn't WyCo residents only option.