Plowed Streets

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Plowed Streets

Post by shinatoo »

There was ice on the streets before the snow. The overnight crew plows and salts residential streets. Day crew focuses on primary and arterial streets.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:09 pm
shinatoo wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:28 pm There was ice on the streets before the snow. The overnight crew plows and salts residential streets. Day crew focuses on primary and arterial streets.
I can confidently say my street has never been salted. Are you sure they salt streets?
Shoot Platt a tweet, he’s actually making an effort to fix snow removal issues across the city
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Live on a dead end-ish street in the urban core & they pre-salted the streets before the last no show storm hardcore & before this one. They made more of an effort than I've seen in a while.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I agree that ive seen more pre-treatment and plowing on residential streets than in the past.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Do City crews plow at Arrowhead? That probably takes a lot of effort to get the entire stadium and parking lot cleared.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC residents expectations of what snow removal should be is unrealistic in my opinion and honestly I don't want to pay the amount of taxes that would be required for that.

Sidewalks are our real issue.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

KCMO snow removal has been a joke for decades. Part of the issue is how spread out the actual limits of KC stretch. I mean everything up in the Northland, East, South, just sprawls. I’ve lived up North since 1976 & when it snows you just expect things to be bad for a day or so after a snow storm. They focus on main roads & even those are sketchy at best. You can tell where KC limits end & other cities begin. The removal is poor but happy to hear they are focusing on it. Perhaps it can go from terrible to just bad
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Goonies wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:16 pm KC residents expectations of what snow removal should be is unrealistic in my opinion and honestly I don't want to pay the amount of taxes that would be required for that.

Sidewalks are our real issue.
Worst in the nation by far. I don't think better snow removal is unrealistic at all. I like how the excuses for shitty snow removal have evolved throughout the years and then we get a new city manager and magically things improve somewhat.
What actionable steps do you see other cities doing that you think would improve it? I've seen plows out for days and the roads I use are basically dry.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't understand the plowing here, they plowed in the afternoon, road looked great after the plow came by and after an hour cause of the radiant heat, the road was almost all dry, looked like my sidewalk. Now tonight the road is like all icy and snow covered, my sidewalk is still bone dry and free of snow. Do u think all the snow off all the cars make that happen or does a 2nd plow come by and push snow from the edge back into the middle? I never saw the 2nd plow but it sounded big. It makes no sense. In theory the road should still look like my sidewalk, does the 2nd plow passing make the roads worse again? Are the 2nd plows dumping snow from other places onto my street? It makes no sense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wind or snow off of cars would be my guess
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I hesitate to complain about doing too good of a job but plowing curb to curb then throws snow all over treated sidewalks.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Now now, don’t be one of those “bitch if they hung em with a new rope” people🤪!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know but honestly cars can park in snow better than people can walk in it.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

New record snow for today for KC - 6.5 inches. Glad I bought a snowblower last year - little battery powered one that uses my lawnmower batteries. Gets bogged down a bit in high snow like this but works good enough especially since we usually don't get that much snow.

New map seems pretty cool. I just learned about it today. Most major streets are plowed.

https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... e/snow-map
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That map has been in operation in some form for a few years now. Looks like close to 10" downtown!
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Well I know it's at least accurate for my neighborhood. We haven't seen a plow yet and the map agrees. :lol: :lol:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:28 pm That map has been in operation in some form for a few years now. Looks like close to 10" downtown!
I received 9.5 inches of snow in my yard in North Indian Mound in the Historic Northeast. My street is cleared.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Pretty much the same here in West Plaza and street is clear. It was clear around 3?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The weatherman said tonight that they should be able to get most of the ice off tomorrow since it will be warm enough for the treatment to work better.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Goonies wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:40 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:06 pm Pretty much the same here in West Plaza and street is clear. It was clear around 3?
Noticed that as well the street is cleared of snow but is a skating rink of ice
True. That bottom layer was slush. Even when i shoveled my driveway, it was icing over soon after. Probably gonna be slick tomorrow