Bucas'ee Gas Station

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Bucas'ee Gas Station

Post by mgsports »

Coming to Springfield,MO.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Bucas'ee Gas Station

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Overrated AF
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

And they are getting a TIF. Idiotic.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Springfield is really the cultural center of MO, evidenced by the World Taxidermy and Fish Carving Championships, which will go down in May – again, for the 3rd time. This year's show promises to be a doozy.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I lived in Springfield for a time and to be honest, it has it's charms. Downtown Springfield is somewhat cool, and MO State has a nice campus. Plus the Springfield chinese food is fire, I had low expectations but it definitely exceeded by a mile.

The townoverall reminds me of a giant combination Walmart - Truckstop. Thus, Buckees will fit right in with the rest of the place. Not sure why the city needs to pay for 3 roundabouts to accomodate them tbh and how the SGF City Counsel's definition of "high paying job" is $15 an hour working at a gas station.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/ ... 124629002/
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:56 am The townoverall reminds me of a giant combination Walmart - Truckstop. Thus, Buckees will fit right in with the rest of the place. Not sure why the city needs to pay for 3 roundabouts to accomodate them tbh and how the SGF City Counsel's definition of "high paying job" is $15 an hour working at a gas station.
To be fair, cost of living in Springfield can equate to $15 be high paying
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:56 am The townoverall reminds me of a giant combination Walmart - Truckstop. Thus, Buckees will fit right in with the rest of the place. Not sure why the city needs to pay for 3 roundabouts to accomodate them tbh and how the SGF City Counsel's definition of "high paying job" is $15 an hour working at a gas station.
To be fair, cost of living in Springfield can equate to $15 be high paying
Workers in the Springfield, MO Metropolitan Statistical Area had an average (mean) hourly wage of $21.47 in May 2020, about 21 percent below the nationwide average of $27.07, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.
https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-pl ... ed%20today.

Yes, there are benefits. However, the jobs are not accessable via transit and there are minimal opportunities for training/advancement. Thus, despite low cost of living, these are definitely not "high paying" jobs, per the councilperson. I mean, I understand why they want SGF to TIF the road improvements and I don't really care about it, but just the fact that people here get so up in arms about actually good TIF and abatement proposals yet they're TIF-ing roundabouts for a Buckees down in Springfield.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

taxi wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 am Springfield is really the cultural center of MO, evidenced by the World Taxidermy and Fish Carving Championships, which will go down in May – again, for the 3rd time. This year's show promises to be a doozy.
As long as it's not discriminatory why do we have to make fun of other people's fun? Culture is culture. If it's not your bag then move on. We need to start being a lot more accepting on both sides if we are going to work our way out of this mess.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Fairly certain that taxi is pro-taxidermy, but only hicks and weirdos are into fish carving.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I mean, there's a movie about it and everything. Pretty sure he's just goofing around. No need to get bent out of shape.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

mean wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:32 pm I mean, there's a movie about it and everything. Pretty sure he's just goofing around. No need to get bent out of shape.
Not bent out of shape, just trying to point out some hypocrisy. The hypocrisy that I'm guilty of too. If someone on here made the same comments about LGBTQ or African American festivals then plenty of people would have gotten upset, including me. Just saying, let's try to do a better job of building each other up, or at minimum, not saying anything at all.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Interesting and I've enjoyed the Bucas'ees I've stopped at in TX. They do have good food and wide selection of snacks and such with good prices. Honestly it fits into the kitsch of the area. Springfield and Branson are connected at the hip so the space in-between the 2 and all around get stuff like this, which are very touristy. Explains why Lambert's is there and does very well along 65 as you head to Branson outside of Springfield.

I enjoy going to Table Rock when I go on a lake vacation in MO so this will be a spot I visit.

I went to MO State, although it was SMSU when I was there, 92-96, graduated in 1996. I enjoyed Springfield and it was a nice college town. Kind of like if you had a major university dropped in the middle of JOCO. The city, downtown especially are much nicer now and have done some really nice developments over the years. I always called it the western most suburb of STL, which was odd to be considering it was pretty much straight South of KC but not really aligned with KC. I guess I-44 gave it a better connection to STL. But maybe that has changed now that HWY 13 is 4 lanes all the way down.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:05 pm
mean wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:32 pm I mean, there's a movie about it and everything. Pretty sure he's just goofing around. No need to get bent out of shape.
Not bent out of shape, just trying to point out some hypocrisy. The hypocrisy that I'm guilty of too. If someone on here made the same comments about LGBTQ or African American festivals then plenty of people would have gotten upset, including me. Just saying, let's try to do a better job of building each other up, or at minimum, not saying anything at all.
That's not an unreasonable position, I just think when the intent is to be lighthearted and poke fun at one's self as much as anything, it's generally fine and not worth treating the same as racist or homophobic jokes.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

mgsports, I apologize for partially derailing this thread. To be clear, my comment was only partly in jest. I will be in Springfield for this event. I've been to 5 WTCs and much of the work is amazing. I highly recommend it!

For the record, I am lowbrow and my handle ain't taxi to reference urban yellow vehicles, though the double entendre was intentional.

grovester, it's true. Those fish carvers are weird but man, some of it is mind-blowing. In fact, one of the best carves them out of wood and lives here in OP.

While the majority of taxidermists older than me are male, right-wing rednecks, much of the younger newer practitioners are urban, liberal females. And that makes for an interesting mix! I will dare say that a lot of the work is elevated to art, and not just by the young girly hipsters. And boy do they know how to party! Many of these folks are outcasts, unrecognized artists who work primarily alone. On the occasions they get together with their peers, it can get pretty wild. If you do attend, go to the hotel bar in the evening, but just try to avoid political discussions!
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Theirs Kum and Go and Quiktrip also in Springfield and maybe to other Truckstops.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

taxi wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:36 pm mgsports, I apologize for partially derailing this thread. To be clear, my comment was only partly in jest. I will be in Springfield for this event. I've been to 5 WTCs and much of the work is amazing. I highly recommend it!

For the record, I am lowbrow and my handle ain't taxi to reference urban yellow vehicles, though the double entendre was intentional.

grovester, it's true. Those fish carvers are weird but man, some of it is mind-blowing. In fact, one of the best carves them out of wood and lives here in OP.

While the majority of taxidermists older than me are male, right-wing rednecks, much of the younger newer practitioners are urban, liberal females. And that makes for an interesting mix! I will dare say that a lot of the work is elevated to art, and not just by the young girly hipsters. And boy do they know how to party! Many of these folks are outcasts, unrecognized artists who work primarily alone. On the occasions they get together with their peers, it can get pretty wild. If you do attend, go to the hotel bar in the evening, but just try to avoid political discussions!
Sorry that I read your post as anything other than sincere.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

taxi wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:36 pm mgsports, I apologize for partially derailing this thread. To be clear, my comment was only partly in jest. I will be in Springfield for this event. I've been to 5 WTCs and much of the work is amazing. I highly recommend it!

This is actually useful info. My dad does Taxidermy as a hobby and he thought about going to this event in May.