Macy's Closing Lee's Summit

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Macy's Closing Lee's Summit

Post by ztonyg »

Looks like they're going to be down to 3 stores in the metro area: Metro North, Oak Park, and Town Center.

https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/m ... c1ced.html
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Macy's Closing Lee's Summit

Post by empires228 »

BTW, metro north will be next. It was on the same leaked list last year as Independence Center, Lee’s Summit, and the Colorado locations that just made the list.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

I'm honestly shocked Metro North didn't happen before the others
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

empires228 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:04 pm BTW, metro north will be next. It was on the same leaked list last year as Independence Center, Lee’s Summit, and the Colorado locations that just made the list.
Closing Metro North would be horrible geographically as they’d be left with 2 stores close together in JoCo.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

ztonyg wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:25 pm
empires228 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:04 pm BTW, metro north will be next. It was on the same leaked list last year as Independence Center, Lee’s Summit, and the Colorado locations that just made the list.
Closing Metro North would be horrible geographically as they’d be left with 2 stores close together in JoCo.
Well yeah, from a geographic standpoint it makes sense to keep it open. But from a "we are a business here to make money and this store is always empty" standpoint, it should have been closed quite some time ago. If they were worried about geographic distances between stores, they would have closed one of the JOCO stores and kept the LS store.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The national management may eventually make the calculation that one Macy's store is enough to serve the Kansas City metro.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

jbean3535 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:14 pm
Well yeah, from a geographic standpoint it makes sense to keep it open. But from a "we are a business here to make money and this store is always empty" standpoint, it should have been closed quite some time ago. If they were worried about geographic distances between stores, they would have closed one of the JOCO stores and kept the LS store.

The list os Macy's locations to be closed by the end of 2023 that leaked last year contained the following stores in Missouri:

608 Independence Center (MO)
611 Metro North
612 Battlefield (MO)
613 Northpark (MO)
618 Summit Fair (MO)
655 South County (MO)
656 West Park (MO)

Metro North and South County center are now the only ones left, and they're both hulking branches that are in desperate need of renovation. The only stores left on that list in Colorado now are Fort Collins and Northfield Stapleton. They just invested a bit of money into Oak Park to redo the entire home department on the first floor, and I went to Metro North the other day and that store is half empty on the second floor and has been for most of the last year. Leawood is considered a Growth 150 store, meaning it's one of the top 150 stores in the company. The St. Louis Galleria Macy's made that list as did the Park Meadows and Cherry Creek Macy's in Denver. It doesn't make any geographic sense to me either, but Oak Park and Town Center must still be getting enough sales from their respective since Macy's has made TCP the high-end store and OPM the middle-class brands store. I always thought it was going to come down to the two JOCO stores and Independence.

Summit Fair has quickly become somewhat of a dead mall over the last few years losing Forever 21, Yankee Candles, Jos. A Bank, and other stores I don't remember. When Macy's leaves the occupancy rate will be at 68%, which I think is still over Zona Rosa, but it's far below the occupancy at Oak Park, Independence Center (which is slowly losing stores as Tilly's just left quietly following Hallmark, GameStop, Zales, and Macy's last year), The Plaza, and Town Center Plaza. Macy's is supposedly going to become "The Funiture Mall of Missouri" and let me tell you, The Furniture Mall has done nothing to turn the mall around in Topeka.

There are two possible outcomes from this. One likely outcome is that is Macy's will to lose customers in the metro to the Independence Dillard's and the second is that people will drive to Leawood, or less likely Oak Park Mall, to still shop at Macy's temporarily giving those locations a boost. Several people on the news were laughably saying they'd drive up to Metro North and shop in Missouri before going to Leawood. I don't think they realize how long of a drive that would be... It's not fun driving up to that store from Northern JOCO, and I have had to drive to Oak Park high for weekend events numerous times this year lol.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It won't make sense to keep both Oak Park and Town Center Plaza stores open. They are too close to each other. It will come down to one of them.

I guessing at this, but I think Macy's will try to keep at least one store open in major cities, and in addition to it being the in-house shopping option, those stores will also service online fulfillment orders, and returns.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Per Colliers 2022 Market Report Furniture Mall taking space.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

FangKC wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:48 pm It won't make sense to keep both Oak Park and Town Center Plaza stores open. They are too close to each other. It will come down to one of them.

I guessing at this, but I think Macy's will try to keep at least one store open in major cities, and in addition to it being the in-house shopping option, those stores will also service online fulfillment orders, and returns.
Macys recently dumped some money into Oak Park, is installing a branded Toys R Us toy department there this year, and owns the building. It may not survive long term, but it’s here to stay for the moment. It doesn’t have any of the warning signs that Lee’s Summit, Prairie Village, and Independence we’re all displaying in recent years, and Metro North is displaying all of those signs and more. It doesn’t have higher ends brands like Oak Park and Leawood, it’s empty like Lee’s Summit had been for the last two years, it’s not getting a branded toy department, it’s not getting a Macys backstage, they’ve never converted the fine china department to mattresses and Backstage like at Oak Park and Independence, several entrance doors have been broken for well over 1.5 years, and my personal favorite, they’ve never dealt with the fact that the store has a plastic tarp hiding the mall entrance complete with intact security devices. That part of the store looks just as bad as the equivalent area at the old Metcalf South Sears after the mall closed.

Independence has been the only one to catch me off guard. They were investing in it pretty regularly up until 2018 and then slowly pulled the higher end brands out and vacated most of the wings that had occupied the inline mall space. I would call gloom and doom on the independence Dillard’s too, but a friend who recently left Dillard’s to work for Bealls Florida said that the Independence store outsells the Zona Rosa store and Mid Rivers Mall stores by a long shot. To get quite a ways off topic, they had told me that Dillard’s is actually in quite a bit of a bind because they had assumed that business at Mid Rivers Mall and the Dillard’s store would boom when Chesterfield Mall and it’s Dillard’s store died after the flood and CBL defaulting on the mall, but it has never happened and they regret putting all of their eggs into the Oak Park Mall basket in KC in the 90s and then spending so much effort on the Zona Rosa store that never met sales expectations and the KC stores disappointingly only perform at or below the Wichita and Springfield locations.

I could get into the qualms they mentioned with Topeka, Omaha, and Springfield, as well as the dual stores they’re stuck with at Northwest Arkansas Mall and then the entirety of Memphis, but that’s the wrong store, the wrong cities, and the wrong everything at this point lol. The Macy’s in Springfield, which opened as their malls original Dillard’s, will probably end up on the same closing list as Metro North. With Joplin and Prairie Village gone, that Springfield store has to be one of the most rundown Macy’s in the entire country.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

empires228 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:24 pm I could get into the qualms they mentioned with Topeka, Omaha, and Springfield, as well as the dual stores they’re stuck with at Northwest Arkansas Mall and then the entirety of Memphis, but that’s the wrong store, the wrong cities, and the wrong everything at this point lol. The Macy’s in Springfield, which opened as their malls original Dillard’s, will probably end up on the same closing list as Metro North. With Joplin and Prairie Village gone, that Springfield store has to be one of the most rundown Macy’s in the entire country.
Thanks for your continued analysis of the retail and department store scene. I enjoy reading these detailed posts so much I can't say I would mind hearing about stores outside the KC region, or Memphis for example.

Side note - I've been to the Zona Rosa Dillard's exactly once, and remember being struck by both how surprisingly nice the build-out was, and how empty it was. I'm probably one of the very few of a (somewhat) younger generation (born 83) that misses these mid-upper-mid quality department stores, but alas, they seem doomed to history.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:21 pm
empires228 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:24 pm I could get into the qualms they mentioned with Topeka, Omaha, and Springfield, as well as the dual stores they’re stuck with at Northwest Arkansas Mall and then the entirety of Memphis, but that’s the wrong store, the wrong cities, and the wrong everything at this point lol. The Macy’s in Springfield, which opened as their malls original Dillard’s, will probably end up on the same closing list as Metro North. With Joplin and Prairie Village gone, that Springfield store has to be one of the most rundown Macy’s in the entire country.
Thanks for your continued analysis of the retail and department store scene. I enjoy reading these detailed posts so much I can't say I would mind hearing about stores outside the KC region, or Memphis for example.

Side note - I've been to the Zona Rosa Dillard's exactly once, and remember being struck by both how surprisingly nice the build-out was, and how empty it was. I'm probably one of the very few of a (somewhat) younger generation (born 83) that misses these mid-upper-mid quality department stores, but alas, they seem doomed to history.
I missed this reply. I’ll try To get back to you sometime in the earlier half of this week.