2022 KC Goals

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: 2022 KC Goals

Post by beautyfromashes »

kboish wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:29 am Also speaks to the incentives change as a barrier to new development, but not insurmountable.
I'm against the incentives change but I don't know if it's really cost us all that much. A bunch of developments were accelerated to get in before the new changes. It caused a period where there wasn't much in the pipeline. It sounds like that might be filling up again with new projects.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:58 am
kboish wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:29 am Also speaks to the incentives change as a barrier to new development, but not insurmountable.
I'm against the incentives change but I don't know if it's really cost us all that much. A bunch of developments were accelerated to get in before the new changes. It caused a period where there wasn't much in the pipeline. It sounds like that might be filling up again with new projects.
I don’t quite see the same level of proposals as before, given it is January rn. It’ll probably be a couple years time of data before we can truly tell
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:29 am https://fox4kc.com/news/4star-politics- ... in-review/

Interview with City manager Platt. In it he is asked what would he pick for his one big thing to focus on in 2022. Other than basic services, he says development. He says there are about a dozen transformational projects brewing that he hopes are finalized this year. He says trying to figure out how to work with developers on some of the new things being asked of them in incentives has been difficult/uncertain, but that he hopes that gets ironed out this year and things move forward.

Sounds promising. Also speaks to the incentives change as a barrier to new development, but not insurmountable.
CM has some big goals for # of tower cranes and transit. He generally understands what needs to happen but is not the one who makes policy. Look at the MAC project, a somewhat innovative workaround to the anti-development incentives rules. The proposal is getting skewered by certain council members and the click-bait-seeking media.

The level of affordability that is being demanded is just not doable with incentives alone. CM, Shields, and a few others understand this. That level of affordable requires grants, LIHTC, direct city investment, etc. An abatement alone is not going to be enough to create thousands of affordable units. The city needs to be pushing developments of all types and is capable of doing so.

We should be accelerating and instead, we are leveling off. Suburbs are still having a lot of proposals and approving many projects. It is no coincidence either that Milhaus, Sunflower, etc are starting to ramp up in the suburbs, Bullish on KC metro, not on KCMO. Suburban land is significantly cheaper, rents are not much lower, and you can easily get an abatement.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:58 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:29 am https://fox4kc.com/news/4star-politics- ... in-review/

Interview with City manager Platt. In it he is asked what would he pick for his one big thing to focus on in 2022. Other than basic services, he says development. He says there are about a dozen transformational projects brewing that he hopes are finalized this year. He says trying to figure out how to work with developers on some of the new things being asked of them in incentives has been difficult/uncertain, but that he hopes that gets ironed out this year and things move forward.

Sounds promising. Also speaks to the incentives change as a barrier to new development, but not insurmountable.
CM has some big goals for # of tower cranes and transit. He generally understands what needs to happen but is not the one who makes policy. Look at the MAC project, a somewhat innovative workaround to the anti-development incentives rules. The proposal is getting skewered by certain council members and the click-bait-seeking media.

The level of affordability that is being demanded is just not doable with incentives alone. CM, Shields, and a few others understand this. That level of affordable requires grants, LIHTC, direct city investment, etc. An abatement alone is not going to be enough to create thousands of affordable units. The city needs to be pushing developments of all types and is capable of doing so.

Incentive applications accelerated ahead of the deadlines but now project applications have slowed down. We should be accelerating and instead, we are leveling off. Suburbs are still having a lot of proposals and approving many projects. It is no coincidence either that Milhaus, Sunflower, etc are starting to ramp up in the suburbs, Bullish on KC metro, not on KCMO
It’s really hard to win a sword fight with both hands tied behind your back. The worst part is the council doesn’t even care that they tied their arms behind them.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Problem is, people generally see a "no development" option as only slightly less desirable than affordable housing. So if a project dies and things stay the same, that's also viewed as a win.

A KC Tenants-aligned twitter account swatted at MAC yesterday for not providing "true affordability". I took that to mean that a development meeting the city's affordable housing requirements could also potentially be opposed.

Not sure how any of this is resolved. Given the risk-averse nature of the city toward neighborhoods and development (neighborhoods won't push for more density), and uneven and changing lineup at council, it's probably not resolvable at all.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chaglang wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:00 pm Problem is, people generally see a "no development" option as only slightly less desirable than affordable housing. So if a project dies and things stay the same, that's also viewed as a win.

A KC Tenants-aligned twitter account swatted at MAC yesterday for not providing "true affordability". I took that to mean that a development meeting the city's affordable housing requirements could also potentially be opposed.

Not sure how any of this is resolved. Given the risk-averse nature of the city and uneven and changing lineup at council, it's probably not resolvable at all.
The messaging regarding incentives and current tax revenue, and then tax revenue post project could do enough to sway some opinion. Messaging is non-existent when it comes to these issues. Seems like Kevin is the only person who has any desire to try and explain this to the public
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

IIRC Mayor James tried to do some education during his term in office, but it wasn't well received.

Kevin's skill set may not make him a good fit to carry that banner.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chaglang wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:08 pm IIRC Mayor James tried to do some education during his term in office, but it wasn't well received.

Kevin's skill set may not make him a good fit to carry that banner.
He’s been writing about it for years, I’d say his skill set would make him more qualified than some in the city government at this point. The last 10-15 years of messaging coming out of the Star and the KCPS definitely did nothing to help the situation
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Counterpoint: if he's been writing about it for years and nobody has been listening, he may not be the right person for the job, no matter how qualified. It's a PR job as much as a policy job.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chaglang wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:43 pm Counterpoint: if he's been writing about it for years and nobody has been listening, he may not be the right person for the job, no matter how qualified. It's a PR job as much as a policy job.
Ah, I see what you’re saying now, my bad. I think it helps now that he has his own platform than it did before. The Star was probably pretty controlling on the narrative when he was there. At the end of the day though, you can only reach so many people behind a paywall and through a niche media element. This is going to require Mayoral and Council support, which KC currently lacks.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC Star has a farther reach, and now business journal is starting to mimic them. The only people following Kevin are people with an interest in downtown development.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

chaglang wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:00 pm A KC Tenants-aligned twitter account swatted at MAC yesterday for not providing "true affordability". I took that to mean that a development meeting the city's affordable housing requirements could also potentially be opposed.
This is my biggest problem with our city leaders. They have cowered to KC Tenants, trying to placate instead of pushing back. Lucas has done it. Bunch has done it. And KC Tenants will never stop movement toward rent control, government housing, eliminating any incentive not for the cheapest of housing in the city, increased taxes, and political positions for their leaders. They're emboldened now. Lucas and the other councilmembers can't put the genie back in the bottle.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:12 pm
chaglang wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:00 pm A KC Tenants-aligned twitter account swatted at MAC yesterday for not providing "true affordability". I took that to mean that a development meeting the city's affordable housing requirements could also potentially be opposed.
This is my biggest problem with our city leaders. They have cowered to KC Tenants, trying to placate instead of pushing back. Lucas has done it. Bunch has done it. And KC Tenants will never stop movement toward rent control, government housing, eliminating any incentive not for the cheapest of housing in the city, increased taxes, and political positions for their leaders. They're emboldened now. Lucas and the other councilmembers can't put the genie back in the bottle.
At this point we might as well have funkhowser in office again
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:30 pm At this point we might as well have funkhowser in office again
And the bad thing is, they are naive enough to think these groups will get them re-elected! KC Tenants will run a candidate in most Midtown districts next election. They might not win many, but if this council and mayor keeps giving them power, they will in elections in the near future.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:36 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:30 pm At this point we might as well have funkhowser in office again
And the bad thing is, they are naive enough to think these groups will get them re-elected! KC Tenants will run a candidate in most Midtown districts next election. They might not win many, but if this council and mayor keeps giving them power, they will in elections in the near future.
I appreciate the sentiment of KC tenants, but they’re defeating the very thing that would solve their problems. They think mom and pop landlords are bad in old buildings, yet shoot down new development that would have better management and provide more housing stock. I just don’t understand it. I’m hoping Justus makes a run again, I know she won’t, but she was as pro-development as you could get
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Without Shields, there are no strong pro-development players on the council. Short running to replace her is pro-development but not quite on her level. I think the candidate running vs. Bunch is even farther on the anti-incentive spectrum.

I had really hoped that Bunch would deliver a relaxing of zoning to allow for missing middle in at least the core. Has not happened and does not appear to be discussed. Probably the single greatest act to support affordability. Even then, new construction missing middle probably isn't going to pencil out for 5% AMI "true affordable"
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:55 pm Without Shields, there are no strong pro-development players on the council. Short running to replace her is pro-development but not quite on her level. I think the candidate running vs. Bunch is even farther on the anti-incentive spectrum.

I had really hoped that Bunch would deliver a relaxing of zoning to allow for missing middle in at least the core. Has not happened and does not appear to be discussed. Probably the single greatest act to support affordability. Even then, new construction missing middle probably isn't going to pencil out for 5% AMI "true affordable"
People don’t realize that rising wages and lack of skilled trades workers ON TOP of inflated construction products means that housing is going to get inherently less affordable. Outside of shifting the entire market system of the United States, there isn’t a way where doing any of the above will allow KC to come out ahead. We’ll see continued sprawl on the fringes, and 199th and 169 HWY will look like 95th street in 5 years at this point.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The most recent post from a rather vocal individual from KC Tenants Twitter. These people truly don’t realize they’re doing the exact opposite from what they want.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

So they are both a gentrifier and a slumlord? How does that work?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Local Twitter is like a show trial right now. Some real Darkness At Noon stuff.