The Madison - NW Plaza luxury apts

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: The Madison - NW Plaza luxury apts

Post by daGOAT »

Great infill on a prime corner. The design is pretty good especially with the walk ups. Honestly I see alot of buildings designed similar here in SoCal but sometimes the ground floors aren't up to par.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Does anyone know if they ever lined up the financing for this?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

They made a presentation last week increasing the height 25 feet. No additional floors just more height per floor. They also made a few other minor changes. They didn’t mention financing but sounded like they were planning to get started soon
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Any updates on this project? Was one of the most exciting ones for the Plaza
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I believe they did get approval from the Council on 2/24 for the change in height.

I don't see any recent permit activity. The project page on Compass shows the plan was updated on 7/25/22, although I am not seeing any uploads/activity since February, so I'm not sure what the more recent updates might be (if there are any).

Here is the link - although Compass links act weird sometimes and I'm not sure if it will work:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ab=summary
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

They could always be bidding on this or still seeking investors. These will be condo quality units and likely the highest priced apartments in town, so it’ll be tapping into a market that only 3 Light is knocking on.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I was under the impression that financing was lined up as part of the City review earlier this year. Not the case?

Lots of factors could be causing delays, such as waiting for labor/supply chain issues to settle down more.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

earthling wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:40 pm ^I was under the impression that financing was lined up as part of the City review earlier this year. Not the case?

Lots of factors could be causing delays, such as waiting for labor/supply chain issues to settle down more.
Bingo

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -hold.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:42 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:40 pm ^I was under the impression that financing was lined up as part of the City review earlier this year. Not the case?

Bingo

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -hold.html
City officials also have contemplated mixed-use redevelopment of the Plaza Tennis Center courts, northeast of Baltimore Avenue and Ward Parkway, as well as the 3.3-acre property formerly slated for Nordstrom at 4720 Jefferson St.
ummmmm
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:44 pm
City officials also have contemplated mixed-use redevelopment of the Plaza Tennis Center courts, northeast of Baltimore Avenue and Ward Parkway, as well as the 3.3-acre property formerly slated for Nordstrom at 4720 Jefferson St.
ummmmm
Is there anything new in that sentence? Platt and Q have both tweeted about it. Is that what "contemplated" means?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

did not know it had been discussed at all
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Block says this project is their top priority, they just need to economy to settle down first essentially
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:50 pm Block says this project is their top priority, they just need to economy to settle down first essentially
They could not get this going in the best of times. Very hard if not impossible to pencil without incentives. Investors were not bitting even when rates were at all time lows
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Those Plaza tennis courts are kryptonite, not that anyone plays there nowadays. But just watch if someone threatens them....

Needless to say -- the Woodside Racquet Club, the Carriage Club (mostly tennis), plus two country clubs with courts (MHCC and KCCC) are all within a 5-minute drive. Not to mention other public courts in Sunset Hill, Brookside, Westwood, maybe more east of there near the old Paseo HS?

My parents briefly rented (1959) an apartment at the Melbourne on 47th Street, so they actually did use them way back when -- in the Eisenhower administration. Until recently, any hint that someone would remove those courts would send my Dad into a frenzy. Phone calls, clacking typewriters, letters to editors, etc.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

From what I read they were just gonna put new courts on the top of a the a building there anyway
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Getting off topic but a 4-5 floor rec center could go there with both indoor/rooftop courts and other rec activities, move Plaza library there and coffee shop with maybe MainCor security or similar. A small format Target at the base would be better here than elsewhere on Plaza. Much better use of such a prime spot.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:02 pm
I get a 1980 College and Quivera Tippens vibe. Bad beige formed stucco, bad arched windows but didn't want to pay for the window arch glass so just filled it in, bolted on balconies, tinted glass...it's bad.
Nailed it! Now I'm hungry.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Pippins in the 80s
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Well its July any updates? Absolutely love the idea of this project and location.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Metro wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:14 pm Well its July any updates? Absolutely love the idea of this project and location.
There won’t be any updates until rents vs construction costs allow you to build without incentives. The only update I suspect we will ever see is a for sale sign