KU/KCK <-----> TSC East/West Transit

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KU/KCK <-----> TSC East/West Transit

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:30 pm @Grid. I am wondering if your dream i70 rail line or BRT goes Linwood to TSC and then hops onto i70 before going to Blue Springs.
I think it has to go to the eastern suburbs for any rail to the stadiums to be justified. I just don't think it will work with just a city to the stadiums route. Although if you get that started, an extension would probably happen.

I have always thought it would be better to jump into the US 40 corridor for a blue spring route (rock Island for Lee's Summit). Heavy/light rail doesn't typically work very well when integrated with highways like in the median and that would require a total rebuild of I-70 which is never going to happen anyway. The only part of I-70 that I ever really proposed to put LRT is the portion over the blue river which would also put a stop much closer to the stadium than way down by Raytown Road like what I have seen proposed.

East of the stadium, (I say stadium because I'm assuming Royals will be downtown), LRT should run in a dedicated right of way maybe along 43rd before picking up the US-40 corridor and continuing to run in a dedicated right of way all the way to downtown Blue Springs. If built properly, it would not take that long to take a train from Blue Springs to Main Street. Now you have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into a corridor that desperately needs it and has the population and demographics and commuting patterns to support LRT. I think the 40 corridor would see a lot of new redevelopment.
SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

I completely agree with you about using 43rd St. to 40 Hwy from TSC east. Would be transformational. Stop at 43rd and Sterling, then 40 at Noland, Lee's Summit Rd, Bass Pro, Valley View Pkwy, Little Blue Pkwy, Woods Chapel with East terminus at 7 Highway.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Scott Neufeld asked if there is work other than public engagement? Staff stated absolutely, they are working on a massive study, and we are happy to discuss further or send an email, the information is also available on our website. Commissioner Shaw asked how are we going to do this, is KCATA or Streetcar paying for this? He stated he is supportive but needs to understand how it will work as KC Streetcar cannot go into Kansas therefore, KCATA will have to buy and operate all streetcar operations across the state line. Staff stated that it is not just a streetcar study, and we are looking at a hybrid option. Commissioner Shaw stated we need to look at long term solutions for transportation and work on more than one corridor. Chair Bower asked if we could expedite combing projects? Staff stated KCATA likes the idea of bundling. Chair Bower asked what approval is needed to move on this? Staff stated local match is needed. Commissioner Shaw stated we could have better conversations on bi-state support if can combine conversations. Chair Bower stated he has seen on the news that public meetings are happening and asked if we are getting good attendance at these? Staff stated not a lot at the first meeting, but the virtual input was over 100 people. Commissioner Shaw stated the full Board should get an update on this East/ West study
https://civicclerk.blob.core.windows.ne ... tion%2Fpdf
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Can we get TLDR pls
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:36 pm
Scott Neufeld asked if there is work other than public engagement? Staff stated absolutely, they are working on a massive study, and we are happy to discuss further or send an email, the information is also available on our website. Commissioner Shaw asked how are we going to do this, is KCATA or Streetcar paying for this? He stated he is supportive but needs to understand how it will work as KC Streetcar cannot go into Kansas therefore, KCATA will have to buy and operate all streetcar operations across the state line. Staff stated that it is not just a streetcar study, and we are looking at a hybrid option. Commissioner Shaw stated we need to look at long term solutions for transportation and work on more than one corridor. Chair Bower asked if we could expedite combing projects? Staff stated KCATA likes the idea of bundling. Chair Bower asked what approval is needed to move on this? Staff stated local match is needed. Commissioner Shaw stated we could have better conversations on bi-state support if can combine conversations. Chair Bower stated he has seen on the news that public meetings are happening and asked if we are getting good attendance at these? Staff stated not a lot at the first meeting, but the virtual input was over 100 people. Commissioner Shaw stated the full Board should get an update on this East/ West study
https://civicclerk.blob.core.windows.ne ... tion%2Fpdf
These seem like very basic questions being asked by the committee. Did none of them go to the public meetings to see attendance? From this excerpt it seems like they have very little knowledge of this project at all, even that it could be either streetcar or BRT. Most people who even casually follow this board would be able to answer these questions.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCATA needs to pick something and go with it. KC has a KC of too much “discussing”. Need to propose a package of improvements and announce it to the public. Redraw as needed based on feedback.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The streetcar absolutely can go into Kansas, or any other place outside of KCMO like Clay County. That's a policy decision that's up to the Council, not staff. If the policy decision is made, then we address the governance issues (just like the city did when it decided to build a streetcar and not use KCATA to own or operate it as with previous light rail plans). Public Works didn't make that decision either.

And, yes, the people quoted above should remember that the KCATA board approved a multi-jurisdictional funding agreement with KCATA, KCSA, UG, and KU Med for the East/West Transit Study.

I guess we've had a few sleeps since then.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:03 pm KCATA needs to pick something and go with it. KC has a KC of too much “discussing”. Need to propose a package of improvements and announce it to the public. Redraw as needed based on feedback.
Agreed
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:03 pm KCATA needs to pick something and go with it. KC has a KC of too much “discussing”. Need to propose a package of improvements and announce it to the public. Redraw as needed based on feedback.
Seconded. The ambiguity doesn't help the public make an informed decision or provide valuable input. I attended the Rosedale RDA / E-W Meeting, many residents didn't seem to enjoy that they didn't know exactly what they were providing input on, or why we were choosing alignments when a mode wasn't clear.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:11 pm
Seconded. The ambiguity doesn't help the public make an informed decision or provide valuable input. I attended the Rosedale RDA / E-W Meeting, many residents didn't seem to enjoy that they didn't know exactly what they were providing input on, or why we were choosing alignments when a mode wasn't clear.
I let that be known in some of my feedback too. Mode definitely effects alignment preferences at least for me.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Omaha’s streetcar line was announced, some board feedback, and now being executed. They similarly had studied the stuff before as we have east west. They have the community something to rally behind and it’s worked well.

I don’t quite understand why we are perpetually in discussion phase.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:03 pm Omaha’s streetcar line was announced, some board feedback, and now being executed. They similarly had studied the stuff before as we have east west. They have the community something to rally behind and it’s worked well.

They had a significantly different funding mechanism from what I understand, which could be a reason why it’s easier for them to get out of the study and feedback phase. Not to mention we’re basically given them the playbook for a starter line.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:03 pm Omaha’s streetcar line was announced, some board feedback, and now being executed.
In what way is it being executed
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:00 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:03 pm Omaha’s streetcar line was announced, some board feedback, and now being executed.
In what way is it being executed
In the received approvals and is moving forward way
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:03 pm Omaha’s streetcar line was announced, some board feedback, and now being executed. They similarly had studied the stuff before as we have east west. They have the community something to rally behind and it’s worked well.

LOL. Not quite. It was first proposed (and studied) almost a decade ago. My first emails with city planning staff are from 2013.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:07 amIn the received approvals and is moving forward way
Getting approvals seems like a low bar for declaring a project “being executed”
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Omaha is also avoiding federal funds for streetcar (not their BRT) -- likely due to the fact they would not qualify -- so that's allowing them to move faster now that they have political support.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Our woes come from the fact that we have many more stakeholders and municipalities to deal with, and the fact we have to deal with the sins of past development and fragmentation, making transit much harder to push here (not to say Omaha doesn't, but it's definitely not as pronounced).

I agree with the frustration though, seems like we move way too lose and never in unison.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Public meetings! https://ridekc.org/planning/eastwesttransit
Tuesday, February 7, 2023
5-7 p.m. - presentations will be given at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Habitat for Humanity of KC
1423 Linwood Blvd. Kansas City, MO 64109

Thursday, February 9, 2023
6-8 p.m. - presentations will be given at 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Our Savior Lutheran Church
4153 Rainbow Blvd. Kansas City, KS 66103
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I already know the answers/challenges to my rant but....

I am really not interested in this if there is no rail segment and I hate that it takes so much time and money to study bus on routes we already studied multiple times. The process is bloated and no one here can fix it. Omaha is MAYBE the closest I've seen to cutting the red tape. They figured out how to fund rail a new way and took their previous studies with minor adjustments to construction.