KU/KCK <-----> TSC East/West Transit

Transportation topics in KC
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: KU/KCK <-----> TSC East/West Transit

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Just saw there are going to be public meetings. October 4th Drexel Hall 5-8pm. October 6th Linwood YMCA 5-8pm. Virtual meeting on the 11th.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I plan on attending the Drexel Hall meeting.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Rag meetup following the Drexel hall meeting on the 4th? I’m also going to be there
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Upcoming dates for the corridor study
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:19 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 pm

That all depends on the funding situation. You can't build it -- BRT or streetcar -- with existing revenues. A new source must be found and the downtown/midtown method (TDD sales + assessments) won't generate enough on its own.

R E G I O N A L.
F U N D I N G.
Fully understand but I can't vote for rail if it isnt on the ballot.
It will be. Just a matter of when. Take it from the person who was involved in the only two successful rail votes in KC history. 8)
You were involved in the November 2006 light rail vote?

Weird. I thought city management were the ones responsible for overturning the will of the voters and setting us back another half decade there.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

City of KCMO Public Works is hiring a Streetcar Program Manager

Provides direction and management to professional staff in the administration of the rail transit program (i.e. KC Streetcar system). Serves as the Owner’s Representative in the oversight of the safe, efficient operation and maintenance of the streetcar system, vehicles and system facilities. Assists with the planning, design, construction, and oversight to ensure that City owned assets
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I attended the online session over lunch yesterday. Not much necessarially new, most things we have discussed here before.
- No estimates on pricing, purpose is to pick the top route
- Reiterating that BRT or streetcar, some type of high frequency transit, headways similar to Streetcar/Max bus
-Good answer by Gerend w/r/t Kauffman potentially leaving - again for the people in the back, TSC is a good central hub for Jackson County transit with the Rock Island Railroad a good candidate for future rail expansion as well as ability to network RideKC bus services there as well. Whether or not there is a stadium there, and if not something will be built there.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I think the majority on this forum at least understand the point about connecting to the Rock Island ROW. In the general public the awareness of the ROW as anything other than "oh you mean that new biking trail?" is very low. Not generally understood by the public that the corridor might one day include more than a trail.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:53 am I attended the online session over lunch yesterday. Not much necessarially new, most things we have discussed here before.
- No estimates on pricing, purpose is to pick the top route
- Reiterating that BRT or streetcar, some type of high frequency transit, headways similar to Streetcar/Max bus
-Good answer by Gerend w/r/t Kauffman potentially leaving - again for the people in the back, TSC is a good central hub for Jackson County transit with the Rock Island Railroad a good candidate for future rail expansion as well as ability to network RideKC bus services there as well. Whether or not there is a stadium there, and if not something will be built there.
I believe if the city makes it a priority it can flourish better than ever. Personally, I wish we could replace it with a mixed-use village style office park with mid-rise towers. Of course, this would be hard to accomplish without serious job growth, but it would be cool to have a Century City/Clayton vibe on the Eastern gateway to the city.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

If/when the Royals head for a new home and vacate Kauffman, I think it presents the Chiefs a great opportunity to consider building a mixed-use village around their stadium much like Nashville is planning on doing. Pre/post-game bars and restaurants, a central park, apartments, hotel, and maybe a creative office building would do the trick. These wouldn't have to be as robust as developments seen elsewhere but consolidating acres of parking into garages and replacing those parking lots with buildings ranging from 1-7 floors would be enough to create activity on non-game days to warrant a transit connection. In my ideal world, the old Adams Mark property would be part of this.

Back on the East-West route, I'm warming to the idea of a line on Armour-35th. With all those apartments lining it, coupled with a straight shot to TSC via Stadium Drive makes it pretty direct and serves thousands of residents. Have it run on 39th to Broadway to connect to existing businesses then connect to the residents and hubs of activity at Main (connection), Troost (new), Paseo (future in my view), Prospect (future in my view) and the VA Hospital.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:39 pm If/when the Royals head for a new home and vacate Kauffman, I think it presents the Chiefs a great opportunity to consider building a mixed-use village around their stadium much like Nashville is planning on doing. Pre/post-game bars and restaurants, a central park, apartments, hotel, and maybe a creative office building would do the trick. These wouldn't have to be as robust as developments seen elsewhere but consolidating acres of parking into garages and replacing those parking lots with buildings ranging from 1-7 floors would be enough to create activity on non-game days to warrant a transit connection. In my ideal world, the old Adams Mark property would be part of this.

Back on the East-West route, I'm warming to the idea of a line on Armour-35th. With all those apartments lining it, coupled with a straight shot to TSC via Stadium Drive makes it pretty direct and serves thousands of residents. Have it run on 39th to Broadway to connect to existing businesses then connect to the residents and hubs of activity at Main (connection), Troost (new), Paseo (future in my view), Prospect (future in my view) and the VA Hospital.
Bad idea.Nashville is building there’s next to downtown. KC wants to build it in a meaningless field? We’ve got to stop spreading our assets so thin.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Armour is a narrow and slow neighorhood street.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:28 pm Armour is a narrow and slow neighorhood street.
As currently configured, with the parking protected bike lanes. The ROW is actually quite wide and the street could be something else. But I agree that keeping its character as a lower speed neighborhood street is desirable from my point of view. All the residential on Armour is safely within the catchment of other proposed routes.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

39th - Broadway - Linwood had the most votes
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:09 pm 39th - Broadway - Linwood had the most votes
Ugh. Broadway is on the city's bike map! That's reason alone not to use it, plus the cost savings of connecting with the Main Street alignment. If you're going to spend a lot of money on special track work to cross the Main Street alignment just use it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:45 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:09 pm 39th - Broadway - Linwood had the most votes
Ugh. Broadway is on the city's bike map! That's reason alone not to use it, plus the cost savings of connecting with the Main Street alignment. If you're going to spend a lot of money on special track work to cross the Main Street alignment just use it.
I like that Broadway hits a bunch of development site and existing density, allows for center running,etc.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

normalthings wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:01 pm
I like that Broadway hits a bunch of development site and existing density, allows for center running,etc.
Based on everything I've heard... center running just isn't going to happen.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:31 pm

No point in building it then imho!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I personally chose 43rd. I think connecting KU Med with St. Lukes could build some synergy between those hospitals and build a larger life science industry in this city. Plus, I really don' t think 39th is wide enough without taking out a significant amount of street parking. I'd be fine with that, I just don't think those areas want that.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:31 pm

In the meeting they didn’t mention anything about this. This study is merely to determine the best route. They’re still evaluating busses/Brt even.