Urban Target

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Urban Target

Post by earthling »

Maybe time for a dedicated thread given actual preliminary talks and potential selection next year. Collison coverage...
Target did flirt briefly with locating a store in downtown three years ago when the former City Center Square building was being renovated to become the lightwell project.

“We talked in a very cursory way early on in lightwell,” said Tim Schaffer, president of AREA Real Estate Advisors. “It didn’t go very far. We couldn’t get the space in the right location and decided it wasn’t the right time.”

Peter Cassel of Mac Properties, said Target was among several chain stores his firm approached to be part of its planned mixed-use project at Armour and Main.

“We called all the usual suspects including Target, but nobody bit,” he said. “We certainly made folks familiar there was a large site in Midtown.”

Target however, has a strong interest in locating a store in the River-Crown-Plaza corridor, according to sources, and a decision could come sometime next year.
“I think Target is interested and in discussions and trying to figure out what location would work.”
https://cityscenekc.com/st-louis-gets-f ... ar-behind/

For those who've missed past conversations on Target, the urban ones tend to be smaller stores, focused on items lacking in area and in some cases they don't compete with locally owned stores, like if a local pet store nearby, they may not stock many if any pet related items. Urban Targets fill in the general merchandise gaps in area. They typically range from 12K-75K sqft. For comparison, DT Cosentino's is about 35K sqft.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Urban Target

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I still hope it goes in the loop downtown. But the bottom line, yeah at this point I don’t see how Target can avoid the urban core KC anymore. I think even they understand that now.

Greatest troll of all time would them announcing “we’re bringing Target to the urban core! We’ve bought out the Home Depot and are making it a Target now! See? Urban Target incoming!”
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^My guess is MIdtown given midway for urban core and Midtown STL site selection, though downtown KC population higher than STL. Crown Center second guess. CBD if they want to start small.

Would expect City to push for location with good E Side bus connections and perhaps maybe even push for Troost site but would be surprising if Target would go for it given the buying power along streetcar line.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:01 am “We certainly made folks familiar there was a large site in Midtown.”
I'm curious what the large site they mentioned would have been? Car dealership? Uptown lot before redo? Oak Hall location at the south terminus?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It was Peter Cassel of MAC that said that, referring to MAC's Armour/Main project.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:54 pm It was Peter Cassel of MAC that said that, referring to MAC's Armour/Main project.
I don't really see how that space would be big enough though. I assume if they go Midtown, Target would want a full size store and that they would only do an urban, small Target if it was inside the CBD. Personally, if I were them, I'd beg to be part of a UMKC project like Whole Foods. I imagine it would be crazy successful.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

City Targets range from 12K-75K sqft typically. The Midtown STL store will be on the higher end of City Target but not considered a full sized store, which are usually over 130K sqft. Now it's possible they may do a full sized suburban store in Midtown but then that's a whole other scenario with need for parking lots and carts allowed to lots - not streetcar friendly and not where Midtown should be heading anyway. City Targets are mostly about carry out, not full product line including large items.
Last edited by earthling on Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:57 pm
earthling wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:54 pm It was Peter Cassel of MAC that said that, referring to MAC's Armour/Main project.
I don't really see how that space would be big enough though. I assume if they go Midtown, Target would want a full size store and that they would only do an urban, small Target if it was inside the CBD. Personally, if I were them, I'd beg to be part of a UMKC project like Whole Foods. I imagine it would be crazy successful.
Imagine being able to take the train from Brookside/Waldo to target at UMKC. ONE DAY!!!!!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I agree with those who have been floating the idea of putting it in Crowne Center. Seems like a perfect location either in Halls or south in one of those vacant lots as part of a mixed use. UMKC seems too close to Ward Parkway Target, even though it's not on streetcar line.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

How about on the other side of I-35.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

They toured the PNL district recently and liked the old "garment district" space.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Lightwell would have been great. Garment district is, good but not quite as good. I like the idea of being able to hit Target and Consentinos at once though.
Developersanonymous
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Developersanonymous »

What about the plaza? not part of UMKC, but nearby. Able to serve a mixed demographic but not 'urban'. To me the true urban core got hit too hard by Covid and hasn't recovered enough to support an urban Target.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Developersanonymous wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:35 pm What about the plaza? not part of UMKC, but nearby. Able to serve a mixed demographic but not 'urban'. To me the true urban core got hit too hard by Covid and hasn't recovered enough to support an urban Target.
Amazon is going there. I would think similar concept from what I have read.
Developersanonymous
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Developersanonymous »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:38 pm
Developersanonymous wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:35 pm What about the plaza? not part of UMKC, but nearby. Able to serve a mixed demographic but not 'urban'. To me the true urban core got hit too hard by Covid and hasn't recovered enough to support an urban Target.
Amazon is going there. I would think similar concept from what I have read.
taking the forever 21 space?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Tesla space iirc
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:14 pm Lightwell would have been great. Garment district is, good but not quite as good. I like the idea of being able to hit Target and Consentinos at once though.
Would have taken that entire corner, including old Joseph Bank space.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:49 pm Tesla space iirc
Yes Amazon in Plaza Tesla space but unclear if 4 Star, Bookstore or Go store. And could just be a temp Popup store for holidays. Not sure if Amazon stores pay attention to what the neighborhood needs (and doesn't need) like many City Targets do.

Downtown could use all Amazon store concepts given how light with retail, in addition to urban Target. Plaza would benefit most from Go store but betting it will be 4 Star.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:50 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:14 pm Lightwell would have been great. Garment district is, good but not quite as good. I like the idea of being able to hit Target and Consentinos at once though.
Would have taken that entire corner, including old Joseph Bank space.
Is it still a definite no? Would think they are downplaying all potential sites as leverage for negotiation purposes. Playing coy would be to their advantage even if already dead set on making a move within a year. Could see them playing the 'don't call us, we'll call you' implying not really interested card even if very interested. At least for initial site discovery stage.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Amazon Grocery,Walmart Neighborhood Market,smaller Meijer.