Kindler Hotel (1110 Grand)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Kindler Hotel (1110 Grand)

Post by earthling »

Feels like an homage to the art deco era w/out replicating it. Sooo well done in a cleanly simplistic modern manner.. if they can pull this off. Really could become KC's 'masterpiece' hotel if they focus on it. Can happen if they truly respectfully humbly understand the roots while managing to tastefully update it. My brain is tickled so far.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm surprised to see the jump in price to get this project done. Originally it was to be an $11 million project and now it's $24 million (price per room went from $314,286 to $685,714). I know that the document I was provided includes a breakdown with financial incentives, but still. Loews had a cost of $406,250 per room and even the planned "ultra-luxury" Hotel Bravo had a cost of $437,931 per room. Nearby Canopy in the Palace Building has a per room cost of $272,727.

So, Kindler is reaching a price per room level not seen in Kansas City yet.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That's a high room cost. Maybe they intend to rely on reduced staff, as many upper scale hotels continue to. Some hotel guests are lenient on reduced hotel staff - like not expecting daily room cleaning/towels, often spun as a green 'feature rather than a bug'. But not sure how much longer that can last.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:45 pm That's a high room cost. Maybe they intend to rely on reduced staff, as many upper scale hotels continue to. Some hotel guests are lenient on reduced hotel staff - like not expecting daily room cleaning/towels, often spun as a green 'feature rather than a bug'. But not sure how much longer that can last.
I’ve stayed at nicer hotels over the past two years and don’t mind not getting daily room services. I actually prefer not to get the full set of work (beds made, vacuum, and so on). All I normally want is a new set of towels after a day or two. But I get that others want daily housekeeping and I semi expect Kindler to have that since it appears to be small enough and aiming to go above other hotels in the area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am invested in an independent operator (Marriott flags, private equity, not in KC area) with reduced staff and while the profits are great some reviewers are noting the reduced staff even though high reviews.

So far it's working and the plan is to maintain as low staff as possible but I'm not so sure is wise to rely on this as a long term biz plan - especially to use as a factor for triggering a new hotel. Operators are learning to run leaner either way and using tech correctly can help if the 5-year cost/maintenance lower than staff. Marketing to green-oriented customers upfront might help too, setting expectations before booking.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This project would look even better if they could put a cover over the giant parking garage next door.

If something would fill the Grand office tower site then you'd finally get a real dense & active corridor here on Grand for a really long stretch
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:19 pm This project would look even better if they could put a cover over the giant parking garage next door.

If something would fill the Grand office tower site then you'd finally get a real dense & active corridor here on Grand for a really long stretch
Do a kinetic art cover on the garage. Can give the garage a fresh look and make it interesting to look at as the wind blows (see Centene garage in Clayton).
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Present day details.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:50 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:19 pm This project would look even better if they could put a cover over the giant parking garage next door.

Do a kinetic art cover on the garage. Can give the garage a fresh look and make it interesting to look at as the wind blows (see Centene garage in Clayton).
The garage isn't public and isn't owned by the group redeveloping the hotel. I doubt any money will be spent on the garage.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I understand. It's owned by the Wall Street Tower condo. Just wishful thinking on our part.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Architect has the project listed on their website. Should be moving forward.
https://peacestudioarch.com/project/kindler-hotel-kc/
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Hate to see that facade go.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It's not going anywhere but to be restored.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Held in NPD today due to not having full financials, requesting $24.5m in taxable industrial revenue bonds. Slightly hostile committee, led by Ellington.
https://kansascity.legistar.com/Legisla ... DE3A6614C5
https://twitter.com/Justin__Short/statu ... 5941115907
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

bspecht wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:45 pm Held in NPD today due to not having full financials, requesting $24.5m in taxable industrial revenue bonds. Slightly hostile committee, led by Ellington.
I expect nothing less from Ellington. He knows his goose is cooked after that poor showing in the April primary. So, he'll just burn down the house on his way out like a gentleman of courage and accomplishment.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

bspecht wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:45 pm Held in NPD today due to not having full financials, requesting $24.5m in taxable industrial revenue bonds. Slightly hostile committee, led by Ellington.
Oh, well good thing Ellington will be gone in a couple months
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Pre-development agreement approved at City Council today 10-1 abstention.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Project has a ton of approvals going through this month and is still moving forward