10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:09 pm ^And could be a catalyst garage-less project for more if pulled off. Lots of reasons it should happen, but can it get the financing?
I would think getting financing would be dependent on incentives being approved. Sure, the residential market is hot and there's an office tenant signed on, but for something like this, lenders would likely want an incentive deal approved and/or parking agreement reached.
kboish wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:18 pm Since ATA is looking to move their offices here I think there is a high probability something is built here. Now, will there be a 28 story tower? that seems much less likely.
As long as it doesn't fall below 12 floors, I'll be good with it. That's what I thought would go here and not something as big as we've seen.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:23 pm The first mid rise tower in the city that’s not on a parking pedestal.
OneLight isn't on a pedestal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

looking through kcata meeting minutes. Authorized spending on this project indicates its more than vaporware
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I really think with the cities affordable housing goals, and potential redevelopment of the old KCATA HQ, this does have a decent chance... but I'm still a skeptic until groundbreaking.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

daGOAT wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:34 pm I really think with the cities affordable housing goals, and potential redevelopment of the old KCATA HQ, this does have a decent chance... but I'm still a skeptic until groundbreaking.
Isn't the city also pursuing a city backed low income residential tower on the parking lot on Broadway across from Bartle Hall? Or is that dead? Last I heard there was something about putting a tower in the Barney Allis Plaza (which is stupid IMO). Hopefully that Broadway lot is still a thing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not sure that's dead but KC southern merger with the Canada train company put a bump in the road if memory serves.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:28 am
daGOAT wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:34 pm I really think with the cities affordable housing goals, and potential redevelopment of the old KCATA HQ, this does have a decent chance... but I'm still a skeptic until groundbreaking.
Isn't the city also pursuing a city backed low income residential tower on the parking lot on Broadway across from Bartle Hall? Or is that dead? Last I heard there was something about putting a tower in the Barney Allis Plaza (which is stupid IMO). Hopefully that Broadway lot is still a thing.
i thought they were pursuing a garage on Broadway, which i dont think will happen given our current desire to stop being so auto centric. fingers crossed something mixed use does happen there because that stretch of Broadway through Quality Hill is by far one of our best urban stretches.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Given the lack of recent comments from Dave on this project since rendering, hard to tell if he's taking it very seriously. Maybe he can't/shouldn't say anything but would think if he's excited about it thinking there's some substance, there'd be something?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Often these initial drawings are vaporware, and end up getting scaled back.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Shhh, of course as I alluded to after posting rendering.. rhetorical question, trying to draw a response lol.

Thoughts Dave? Even if carefully stated with ambiguous political speak? Hidden easter eggs would work.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I'm excited! I hated the idea of yet another pocket park we can't take care of and encouraged residents to engage in the process.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Any thoughts on chances being anywhere near rendered? Or a project this large with little/no new parking?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If this project looks anything like the renderings, I'll sign on as a resident.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looking through a presently private document, there's a lot more in this chosen proposal than it initially seems. It's very well thought out and more details were thought of for a concept than you'd expect. Not saying this translates to it being built as presented, but it makes me feel a little better about it happening in a similar form (at least). There also some design elements that aren't visible in the renderings we've seen that would make this building more interesting.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:08 am Looking through a presently private document, there's a lot more in this chosen proposal than it initially seems. It's very well thought out and more details were thought of for a concept than you'd expect. Not saying this translates to it being built as presented, but it makes me feel a little better about it happening in a similar form (at least). There also some design elements that aren't visible in the renderings we've seen that would make this building more interesting.
Is there any timeline at all on this project?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:33 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:08 am Looking through a presently private document, there's a lot more in this chosen proposal than it initially seems. It's very well thought out and more details were thought of for a concept than you'd expect. Not saying this translates to it being built as presented, but it makes me feel a little better about it happening in a similar form (at least). There also some design elements that aren't visible in the renderings we've seen that would make this building more interesting.
Is there any timeline at all on this project?
It's early in the process but by reading some news stories, you can find that the desire is to start next spring and wrap up 2 years later in 2025. However, that's only a desire and likely will change.

I assure you, the moment a firm timeline is established, this will be the first place you'll see it. Same with any updates regarding any project we've posted about on the forum.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Financing to the level of rendering also a question.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Having the office tenants lined up hopefully means that capital/financing can come forward quickly. The apartment market downtown has been strong, as long as they can make the numbers work with the affordable housing requirements.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Edgemoor having experience with the City on it's largest infrastructure project to date I think puts them in decent standing with the Council. I'm not sure what percentage of the 200 planned units but there was mention of affordability which will help the cities goals. The lack of parking is huge for DTKC's goals and a benchmark for development. If there is any real substance to a potential KCATA HQ redevelopment, relocating downtown will receive even more of a blessing. I know we've seen more vaporware than groundbreakings with high rises but I like the odds of this happening, even if it gets a height reduction. It just seems like an all around win for everyone involved, including us urban development junkies lol.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm Image
top section cut out. Will maintain the cool roof.

Now 20 stories