10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:07 pm Not only do the Kempers want to maintain control, they feel entitled to have control over anything that happens in that part of downtown.
+1
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

You got to root for any project Tomas "Buzz" Willard is against, but it's hard not to be skeptical because of 3rd and Grand. Why can't the KCATA get anything built?

I wonder how this project would affect Copaken Brooks Macy's site? Along with Lightwell and Mark Twain redevelopment, filling in these two holes would create a really nice high rise urban district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Rabble wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:11 pm You got to root for any project Tomas "Buzz" Willard is against, but it's hard not to be skeptical because of 3rd and Grand. Why can't the KCATA get anything built?

I wonder how this project would affect Copaken Brooks Macy's site? Along with Lightwell and Mark Twain redevelopment, filling in these two holes would create a really nice high rise urban district.
3rd and Grand is moving forward but a long process in trying to deal with the large (water or sewage) pipes below the site.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Normalthings, are those left over from the former brewery on that site?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rabble wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:11 pm You got to root for any project Tomas "Buzz" Willard is against, but it's hard not to be skeptical because of 3rd and Grand. ...
Henceforth, Buzz Willard will be referred to as "Buzzkill Willard" on this site. :lol:
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:53 pm Normalthings, are those left over from the former brewery on that site?
no, active use. deep under the site. run across the river iirc?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:43 pm I was thinking about the apartment pipeline for downtown today and really hope that everything gets built as it would greatly increase population density and activity.
So does everyone on this whole board except GRID :lol: :lol: :lol:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:24 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:43 pm I was thinking about the apartment pipeline for downtown today and really hope that everything gets built as it would greatly increase population density and activity.
You don't think I want everything to be built? You need a reality check sometimes. I think nearly everything in the pipeline right now will be built (residential, not the office projects and probably half the hotel projects). Some may take several years longer than you want to admit, like everything Cordish has planned. I mean a tower even every five years it going to take a long time for Cordish to built just a few more towers. But if anybody can do it, Cordish can.

This KCATA project is pretty pie in the sky stuff with the ATA's history and the development team assembled. If the city really gets behind it, then it just might be possible, but I have serious doubts about this an until something changes. KCMO city government and most of the voting population is pretty anti growth and anti incentives. I hope they pull it off, but I do think this is jut another East Village that just never gets going.
It really is okay to be a realist sometimes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:30 pm
... Some may take several years longer than you want to admit, like everything Cordish has planned. I mean a tower even every five years it going to take a long time for Cordish to built just a few more towers. But if anybody can do it, Cordish can.
I'd like to see more developers do some of the building (Related, Durst, Brookfield akfa ForestCityRatner, Millennium Partners, Trammell Crow, Extell Development, The Domain Co., Hines, etc.).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:08 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:30 pm

... Some may take several years longer than you want to admit, like everything Cordish has planned. I mean a tower even every five years it going to take a long time for Cordish to built just a few more towers. But if anybody can do it, Cordish can.
I'd like to see more developers do some of the building (Related, Durst, Brookfield akfa ForestCityRatner, Millennium Partners, Trammell Crow, Extell Development, The Domain Co., Hines, etc.).
Yeah. KC still desperately needs to get the attention of some big time national developers. Cordish has been great and you really can't expect them to build any faster than they are doing, but like I said, a tower every five years is going to take them 10-20 years just to build out what they have on their plate now. KC needs more than one tower crane up at a time and that will require more than one developer. And that's if KCMO doesn't run Cordish out of town when they do decide to start some of their other projects. KCMO barely kept the promises they made for 3light.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There also needs to be competition in offerings and developers that use a variety of architecture firms so that every building doesn't end up being a clone of the previous one. I still haven't seen any new ultra-high-end product built downtown that would appeal to The Walnuts crowd ($,$$$,$$$). Maybe that one penthouse apartment on top of 909 Walnut, and perhaps One Park Place. But not everyone wants floor-to-ceiling curtain walls. Some want more wall space to hang their fine art and apply fancy wallpaper, lush draperies, etc. They don't want kitchens in one end of the living room.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ yep. And I'm really surprised that KC has not attracted at least one additional out of town developer (for high end high rise construction, not just the 5 story wood stuff).

Maybe rents in KC still just are not there yet.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe we can leave the "KC doesn't build anything" out of the thread talking about a 28 story res tower??
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 am Maybe we can leave the "KC doesn't build anything" out of the thread talking about a 28 story res tower??
Point taken. Hopefully KCATA and Edgemoore can get it done.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Since ATA is looking to move their offices here I think there is a high probability something is built here. Now, will there be a 28 story tower? that seems much less likely.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That. And it's fairly realistic with residential on top and 30% affordable as well, but perhaps end up as a 6 floor basic lego block building. Am hopeful they can pull off close to rendered as that would be a nice notable downtown addition. Not too confident with all the moon/planet alignments needed but maybe, somehow.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

and I am ABSOLUTELY rooting for them to swing for the fences on this and succeed. To get something even close to this initial rendering would be a huge win for them and downtown.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I feel like another reason Tower is opposing this is because the “vertical neighborhood” concept the new KCATA HQ is going for hasn’t been as successful in Commerce Tower as first projected. If they make the finance work, and in an affordable housing shortage they might, I’m sure it will be catalytic. The first mid rise tower in the city that’s not on a parking pedestal. I’m really bullish on KC rn and if this gets built is will change the real estate game downtown. Realistically the lack of parking probably keeps the cost down and increases the number of units that can be built. If the occupancy rates stay up skies the limit on a denser more vibrant Kansas City.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:23 pm I feel like another reason Tower is opposing this is because the “vertical neighborhood” concept the new KCATA HQ is going for hasn’t been as successful in Commerce Tower as first projected. If they make the finance work, and in an affordable housing shortage they might, I’m sure it will be catalytic. The first mid rise tower in the city that’s not on a parking pedestal. I’m really bullish on KC rn and if this gets built is will change the real estate game downtown. Realistically the lack of parking probably keeps the cost down and increases the number of units that can be built. If the occupancy rates stay up skies the limit on a denser more vibrant Kansas City.
This is basically 3 Light but with no garage. Not pushing the mixed-use envelope that much imho but still a great project
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And could be a catalyst garage-less project for more if pulled off. Lots of reasons it should happen, but can it get the financing?