10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: 10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:56 am I think it’s happening. They said next June is when they can really start moving. This project has good vibes, good people.
I hope you're right - but so much has changed at KCATA since this was announced.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCATA board decided not to extend the redevelopment contract. I would imagine doing Highrise construction with limited incentives & high affordable rates is nearly impossible.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So Kempers win?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

A real shame that this died out, but not surprising considering 30% of the apartments here would've been affordable and workforce housing. With continued high interest rates, high material costs, and continued debate over incentives, this one was doomed. I know it was undergoing a significant redesign that would've saw its "layer cake" design nixed in favor of a more standard rectangle, but I guess even that version was too hard to make work.

My hope is the ATA re-issues the RFP and have a longer submittals period so that a better development team can come along and propose something logical. Putting a pocket-park here would be a long-term loser for downtown. We need more residents and office workers, not more pocket-parks that sit under utilized 90%+ of the year.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

not too surprising, to build 30% affordable in a high quality design high rise at a prominent street corner would take immense subsidies, which would be very unpopular even with those who stand to benefit. a better trade off would be build 100% luxury in exchange to build a smaller mid rise in East Village or Paseo West. it's a common practice here in Los Angeles.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would be happy if the trade-off is simply the developer of the highrise renovates vacant houses and apartment buildings, scattered around the City. This would provide affordable housing units and benefit the entire block by dealing with derelict structures that are unpleasant for neighbors, attract squatters, risk fires, and bring down property values.

They wouldn't have to do the work themselves. They could subcontract it out, but provide the funding.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0688149 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1004171 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1052996 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0788046 ... ?entry=ttu
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

FangKC wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:30 pm I would be happy if the trade-off is simply the developer of the highrise renovates vacant houses and apartment buildings, scattered around the City. This would provide affordable housing units and benefit the entire block by dealing with derelict structures that are unpleasant for neighbors, attract squatters, risk fires, and bring down property values.

They wouldn't have to do the work themselves. They could subcontract it out, but provide the funding.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0688149 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1004171 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1052996 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0788046 ... ?entry=ttu
That would be a good substitute for Kansas City since she has higher vacancy rates then Los Angeles. Some of the larger 4-square homes could be subsidized into apartments like they have been in the Hanover Heights or Broadway-Gilham neighborhoods of midtown. This would keep it affordable, return an ROI, and increase density. It looks like 4135 E 6th St was renovated last time I was in the city but my hopes are 4214 E 7th St will be renovated, I got personal sentiments to that building, her demolished neighbor, and the old school.

*sorry got off-topic
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Kind of sucks that PortKC got knocked back to just doing developments on the riverfront after trying to reach to the Plaza. This project would have been right up their alley.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:43 pm Kind of sucks that PortKC got knocked back to just doing developments on the riverfront after trying to reach to the Plaza. This project would have been right up their alley.
They approved a Crossroads project recently.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:01 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:43 pm Kind of sucks that PortKC got knocked back to just doing developments on the riverfront after trying to reach to the Plaza. This project would have been right up their alley.
Were they approached about this project?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:10 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Were they approached about this project?
Probably not, since KCATA and PortKC incentives are similar. I certainly don't remember the discussion when I was at KCATA, but I wasn't in every 10th & Main conversation.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Could KCATA subcontract this development out to an independent developer and provide them with certain subsidies, and then transfer the land to the developer like the City will with VanTrust in the East Village?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:43 am Could KCATA subcontract this development out to an independent developer and provide them with certain subsidies, and then transfer the land to the developer like the City will with VanTrust in the East Village?
That is what they tried to do. The subsidies are not enough to cover the construction cost + affordable rents at the level of incentive they can provide.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was thinking about a hybrid KCATA TOD subsidy deal where a developer could build market-rate only housing at 10th and Main, and then make up the 30 percent affordable housing units on some other proposed TOD parcel KCATA owns where they could do a cheaper 3-story stick-built apartment complex. I know KCATA is trying to develop the former K-Mart parcel on Antioch and Vivion in the Northland. Another location would be the 18th and Troost site.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

27th and Indiana has two vacant corners ready for housing and a neighborhood that would welcome the affordable units, especially if it entices demand for better stores at the remaining structures. 27th and Cleveland could handle anywhere from 150-300 units easy too. Sounds like a good tradeoff.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

So is the high rise project dead? That sucks we need more housing
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I have a view of this site from my apartment. Looking at it, I do hope that the ATA decides to sell the property to a developer with no strings attached. Allow a developer to build something that is transit oriented, but market-rate or luxury instead of needing to meet certain affordability requirements. A developer won't be able to get Light Towers-level rent here, but they'll get top dollar if done right. My personal idea for this site is 2-levels underground parking, first floor retail and lobby, floors 2-5 creative office, 6th floor amenity, 7th-24th floors apartments, and 25th floor sky lounge and second level of 24th floor penthouses (alternative would be 1 level underground parking, 2nd and 3rd floor office, 4th floor amenity, and 5th-17th floors apartments with 18 being a sky lounge). My design would be a modern take on Art Deco. If any developer is reading this, please make my dreams come true 8)

This might not be politically popular, but it beats getting a park and it infuses the ATA with some cash for usage elsewhere.

Besides, I want to be spoiled and watch a building rise from my apartment. Watching a building rise at 10th and Main and the Royals Stadium rise on the other side would give me enough entertainment for a while.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If I were going to develop that site, I would combine it with the 1034 Main and the Peck Building garages to the south. I would build up against the Peck Building five floors and then step the tower back as not to block Peck's upper-floor windows. I would then put retail on the corner and 5 floors of apartments on top. I wouldn't completely block the windows of the Hanover Lofts that way. On the Baltimore and 11th Street corner, I'd build up five floors against the Peck Building to allow the windows on the west wall of the Peck Building to remain unblocked. Then I'd build 20 stories down Baltimore, step down to five floors, so as to not completely block the windows of the Finance Lofts. There would be 20 stories fronting Main, but only mid-block. The tower would be L-shaped.