10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: 10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Post by AlkaliAxel »

That's okay. If they're making moves like that though, doesn't that mean they're trying to realistically get this done? To me, that's a good sign.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Even faster downsize than expected. Woof.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The shrinking was expected though. News companies have used the 20-story height in their reporting. I am just happy to hear that the design were made mostly the same, just without the top tier. Now, if they were able to keep the stepped effect in place where they could have three different tiers, I’d be really happy. Overall though, another 20-story mixed-use building in downtown without any parking in replaces a dead corner on the nations busiest streetcar line is a great thing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

May break ground in 2023, 20 floors, 20% affordable, biggest challenge is parking...
https://cityscenekc.com/kcata-briefed-o ... n-in-2023/

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up 5 floors of parking and 10 floors of residential, breaking ground in 2025.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

earthling wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:41 am May break ground in 2023, 20 floors, 20% affordable, biggest challenge is parking...

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up 5 floors of parking and 10 floors of residential, breaking ground in 2025.
Beat me to it. Yeah I would love if the 2023 date happens, but I’m not betting on it. Even those involved sound like they’re gearing up for a fight
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:41 am May break ground in 2023, 20 floors, 20% affordable, biggest challenge is parking...

The Collison article states that Commerce Bank / Tower Properties opposes this development, preferring that the tract be used for a park. Seriously? what the hell? To this day Commerce owns something like half of the North Loop parking lot crater, a vast area, and I have never seen them float any kind of redevelopment plans for their tracts. I don't understand why they'd oppose someone else in the neighborhood making proactive, productive use of a half acre lot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is a parking garage connected to the site and one across the way. I can't imagine parking is a real concern outside of those entities not agreeing to sublease which is ridiculous in itself.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I thought the whole point of this tower was to show why we didn’t need parking at all
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

there may be concerns of successfully leasing without offering parking.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

HalcyonKC wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:08 am

The Collison article states that Commerce Bank / Tower Properties opposes this development, preferring that the tract be used for a park. Seriously? what the hell? To this day Commerce owns something like half of the North Loop parking lot crater, a vast area, and I have never seen them float any kind of redevelopment plans for their tracts. I don't understand why they'd oppose someone else in the neighborhood making proactive, productive use of a half acre lot.
Never underestimate what Commerce/Tower will be opposed to that is really none of their business. It's probably just habit since they were used to calling all the shots downtown for decades.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Seems odd, as a park would most likely attract some undesirable elements at times, which when it was a bus depot thingy there were issues. A park may be nice to have some greenspace close but along with it would be the potential to increased trouble, etc. A building I would think be better usage and getting residents in the area.

Maybe Commerce is opposed because they own rival developments of residential towers, etc. and looking to have less competition will mean higher leasing rates in their properties. I'm not sure
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They might also be worried about another competing bank occupying any retail or office space.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Could be, but there are already banks around. I mean we have the new Branch at Corner of 10th and Main in the Commerce Bank Building. Then head south on Main and you have BOK Financial, Country Club & Bank Midwest, all within the 10th & 11th.

Plus some new BOA video branch at 12th & Main (replaced the traditional branch in the 1 KC Place location I believe).

So maybe they are worried but given the other open retail spots in the area it would be an odd concern, but who knows :)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Tower properties needs to be told where to go. Totally worthless company that does more harm downtown than good.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm talking about more large financial institutions that might enter the market.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Let Tower Properties offer some of the North Loop parking lots for conversion to a park.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The vibe has been thrown off.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:17 pm The vibe has been thrown off.
If it’s as tall as 10 Main Center, as it appears in the rendering, then no I don’t think so. You’re still getting that canyon effect from street level, a perspective that matters a lot more than the view from the 30th floor of Town Pavilion, or wherever the rendering is taken from
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:17 pm The vibe has been thrown off.
Totally fine with it only having two sections instead of three but would like those sections to be stretched a bit for a few more floors of height. I still like it though.