NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:03 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:44 pm
Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:12 pm Nashville, Mexico City, Tampa Bay are all ahead of KC on the pecking order
Lol no they’re not.
Nashville & Tampa are way too close to current teams in Orlando & Memphis.

Mayyybe Memphis would go to Nashville…but they’re *way* more focused on getting MLB since they already have NHL & NFL in winter. They need a summer sport.

The players won’t go to Mexico City, lol. Do your research first instead of reading headlines.
But players will go to Kansas City? You're delusional and this has became a trend of your posts on juat about any subject: anything you want to happen magically is backed by your "research"
Dude, you originally thought that Tampa & Nashville were spots for NBA teams without even realizing the proximity to existing NBA cities. Don’t tell me about “research” when you don’t have a clue.

And uhh it’s because Mexico City is unsafe, pretty far away in a foreign country, and oh yeah it’s not even a developed country? It’s not some thing about “Mexico City is cOoLeR than KC”. Players just don’t want to live outside the US or Canada. I can’t believe I actually had explain that.

They play pre-season in MX to grow the international game, they already know places like KC know basketball. FYI- the NBA is known for having a ton of small shitty markets, and KC would actually be towards middle of the pack. It’s not like MLB where we’re small. Also…since when has any player said they don’t want to come to Kansas City? Milwaukee just won the Finals last season and they’re smaller. Go figure.

P.S.- they play in Indy, Sacramento, Memphis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc…nobody has a problem playing in any low level US cities like these. They just don’t want to live in the middle of Mexico.

I’m not trying to be mean or come off as hostile, but I have researched this topic for years on how we can get a team and it irritates when people just say unfounded blanket statements like “KC can’t have an NBA team. Why? Just because it’s KC” it’s just BS sorry there are much shittier markets with many teams.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:12 pm NBA hot bed KC yet again not even hosting a pre season bame meanwhile Mexico City https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/list ... a-en-cdmx/

Mexico City is also much larger than KC. You must do the same "research" as the anti vaxx crowd
Outside of political data & some sports stuff I don’t make claims in research. That’s because I do political data for a living, and I follow sports industry closely. If you’re referring to something outside of that please enlighten me. I have always fully admitted I don’t know ‘development’ as well as most people of Rag do. I just give opinions on that stuff.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:56 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 am Mahomes doesn't have the money either, and KC doesn't have an ownership group. This is pure wishcasting. The sprint center has been sitting there for a decade free to use and I don't think the NBA has even shown an interest or played a game.
Mahomes is only in year 5. But he is *definitley* going to be a billionaire in his career. I’m talking about towards the end of his career when he’s a billionaire, has tons & tons of connections and is similar to how Lebron is bringing a team to Vegas right now in the exact same circumstances.
You are full of wishing and hoping. A lot can happen in 10 years. Mahomes may be playing and living in London or Berlin, or let's say a Texas town. If that is the case KC is in his rearview mirror. Or much like any football player he could be a serious injury away from ending his career early.
Much like what happened to the Kings with local owners without deep pockets there are few in KC with deep enough pockets with interest to form an ownership group. The deep pockets could have saved the Scouts in 76 and the Kings in 85 but had no interest to do so. The deep pockets didn't want to save the KC tradition of the American Royal as it was. With regards to T Mobile who knows what would be expected of an arena to attract a NBA team and what it would cost the city to bring it up to date. Who knows who will be the city's leaders in 10 years and their interest in having a fulltime tenant of the arena. Right now it appears the city leaders are content with the performance of T Mobile just the way it is.
No matter what 10 years is a very long time and much can happen, good and bad.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:47 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:56 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 am Mahomes doesn't have the money either, and KC doesn't have an ownership group. This is pure wishcasting. The sprint center has been sitting there for a decade free to use and I don't think the NBA has even shown an interest or played a game.
Mahomes is only in year 5. But he is *definitley* going to be a billionaire in his career. I’m talking about towards the end of his career when he’s a billionaire, has tons & tons of connections and is similar to how Lebron is bringing a team to Vegas right now in the exact same circumstances.
You are full of wishing and hoping. A lot can happen in 10 years. Mahomes may be playing and living in London or Berlin, or let's say a Texas town. If that is the case KC is in his rearview mirror. Or much like any football player he could be a serious injury away from ending his career early.
Much like what happened to the Kings with local owners without deep pockets there are few in KC with deep enough pockets with interest to form an ownership group. The deep pockets could have saved the Scouts in 76 and the Kings in 85 but had no interest to do so. The deep pockets didn't want to save the KC tradition of the American Royal as it was. With regards to T Mobile who knows what would be expected of an arena to attract a NBA team and what it would cost the city to bring it up to date. Who knows who will be the city's leaders in 10 years and their interest in having a fulltime tenant of the arena. Right now it appears the city leaders are content with the performance of T Mobile just the way it is.
No matter what 10 years is a very long time and much can happen, good and bad.
I mean, sure, anything could happen, but alot of sports business guys think he's well on his way to billionaire status.
https://twitter.com/andrewpetcash/statu ... 6539677696

I think the flaw people don't think about when getting an ownership group is we don't *have* to have billionaires from KC to make this happen. We just need Mahomes to lead it and businessmen from all over will prob jump to join an ownership group with him. That's how it happens in modern day atleast with people like Lebron, MJ, Magic, etc. And again, this isn't theory- Mahomes has said he wants to get an NBA team one day. I believe he will make that happen.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:50 pm The players won’t go to Mexico City, lol. Do your research first instead of reading headlines.
And uhh it’s because Mexico City is unsafe, pretty far away in a foreign country, and oh yeah it’s not even a developed country? It’s not some thing about “Mexico City is cOoLeR than KC”. Players just don’t want to live outside the US or Canada. I can’t believe I actually had explain that.
P.S.- they play in Indy, Sacramento, Memphis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc…nobody has a problem playing in any low level US cities like these. They just don’t want to live in the middle of Mexico.
I'm not here to argue about whether teams will end up in KC or any other US city.

I'm here to push back a bit on some statements. First of all, Mexico City is the largest metropolitan area in North America. Its metro area is 21.8 million. It has 10 times more people than the Kansas City metro. New York City's metro population is 20.1 million. Los Angeles' metro population is 13. 2 million.

Mexico City is a very cosmopolitan city. There are probably basketball players that would prefer to live in Mexico City over some US cities.

It's also not that "far away."

Air distance between cities

Mexico City to Houston: 766 miles
Mexico City to Dallas: 939 miles
Mexico City to Phoenix: 1254 miles
Mexico City to LA: 1548 miles
Mexico City to KC: 1213 miles
Mexico City to NYC: 2093 miles
Mexico City to Seattle: 2335 miles
Mexico City to Miami: 1275 miles
Mexico City to Denver: 1450 miles

NYC to LA: 2464 miles
Seattle to Miami: 2722 miles
Boston to San Diego: 2583 miles
KC to Boston: 1254 miles
KC to Miami: 1253 miles
KC to Seattle: 1487 miles
KC to LA: 1361 miles
KC to Portland: 1479 miles
KC to San Francisco: 1496 miles
Denver to Miami: 1708 miles
Denver to Boston: 1750 miles

Kansas City is closer to Mexico City than it is to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Miami, Portland, and Seattle.
Los Angeles is closer to Mexico City than it is to NYC.
Denver is closer to Mexico City than it is to Miami or Boston.
Miami is closer to Mexico City than it is to Seattle.
New York City is closer to Mexico City than Los Angeles.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:46 pm "They are after expansion is done and we get SEA/LV placed. Kansas City has more checked boxes for NBA than any other “prospective” city available. Including the three most important: geography, Mahomes & viable arena+district"

Immaterial without an ownership group.
Tampa Bay has Lighting,Rays,Bucs,Brady and so on.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Mahomes is already investing in business in the area too. Hes the reason Whataburger is here now.

I agree with all of Alkali's points, the problem is just going to be finding a team to move and thats probably about 10 years away. The NBA doesn't really have any basketcase franchises, even at the lower end. NHL has 4 or 5 bad sunbelt teams, MLB has Tampa and Oakland, the NFL has the Chargers.

The pro leagues all have a hard on for Vegas but that market is going to become saturated very quickly.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

FangKC wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:21 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:50 pm The players won’t go to Mexico City, lol. Do your research first instead of reading headlines.
I'm not here to argue about whether teams will end up in KC or any other US city.

I'm here to push back a bit on some statements. First of all, Mexico City is the largest metropolitan area in North America. Its metro area is 21.8 million. It has 10 times more people than the Kansas City metro. New York City's metro population is 20.1 million. Los Angeles' metro population is 13. 2 million.

Mexico City is a very cosmopolitan city. There are probably basketball players that would prefer to live in Mexico City over some US cities.

It's also not that "far away."

Air distance between cities

Mexico City to Houston: 766 miles
Mexico City to Dallas: 939 miles
Mexico City to Phoenix: 1254 miles
Mexico City to LA: 1548 miles
Mexico City to KC: 1213 miles
Mexico City to NYC: 2093 miles
Mexico City to Seattle: 2335 miles
Mexico City to Miami: 1275 miles
Mexico City to Denver: 1450 miles

NYC to LA: 2464 miles
Seattle to Miami: 2722 miles
Boston to San Diego: 2583 miles
KC to Boston: 1254 miles
KC to Miami: 1253 miles
KC to Seattle: 1487 miles
KC to LA: 1361 miles
KC to Portland: 1479 miles
KC to San Francisco: 1496 miles
Denver to Miami: 1708 miles
Denver to Boston: 1750 miles

Kansas City is closer to Mexico City than it is to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Miami, Portland, and Seattle.
Los Angeles is closer to Mexico City than it is to NYC.
Denver is closer to Mexico City than it is to Miami or Boston.
Miami is closer to Mexico City than it is to Seattle.
New York City is closer to Mexico City than Los Angeles.
It's also not very dangerous in the areas anyone would be. It's a fantastic city. I don't care about basketball, but people should for sure visit!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Rusty Irish wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:28 pm Mahomes is already investing in business in the area too. Hes the reason Whataburger is here now.

I agree with all of Alkali's points, the problem is just going to be finding a team to move and thats probably about 10 years away. The NBA doesn't really have any basketcase franchises, even at the lower end. NHL has 4 or 5 bad sunbelt teams, MLB has Tampa and Oakland, the NFL has the Chargers.

The pro leagues all have a hard on for Vegas but that market is going to become saturated very quickly.
Agreed- the hardest part out of our control is just getting a franchise to relocate. If that happens, we've got it. It just needs to happen. At some point it will because that's inevitable in sports.

Sacramento is the worst basket case franchise in the league. Memphis & New Orleans are weak markets could that could be poached. Especially New Orleans since they already have the Saints. It's just a matter of waiting till the shoe drops on one of these 3.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Didn't Sacramento just build a new arena? KC has always just lacked an owner, but I can see Mahomes bringing a team to KC, but it's probably many years out.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Yeah they did. I'd agree that New Orleans is the likely candidate as cities like Memphis and Sacramento have nothing else and they would put up much more of a fight to keep their teams.

The other issue is, sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for and adding another team can risk diluting the market. I can live with people feeling like they are quite happy with the teams they already have and they don't need more.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Rusty Irish wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:37 pm The other issue is, sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for and adding another team can risk diluting the market. I can live with people feeling like they are quite happy with the teams they already have and they don't need more.
I think there is a feeling last few years we're ready for more. Especially with downtown being the way it is now & FIFA saying you're a World Cup city.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Downtown being the way it is means 20k more residents and negative job growth. That’s not enough to support new major teams
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:17 pm Downtown being the way it is means 20k more residents and negative job growth. That’s not enough to support new major teams
Considering that there are downtowns with far less population, and no rail, supporting teams, I think we'll be just fine. I've gathered from your takes you seem to think every city with an NBA team is like Atlanta in size & growth. It's far from it. We'd be right in the middle.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:13 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:17 pm Downtown being the way it is means 20k more residents and negative job growth. That’s not enough to support new major teams
Considering that there are downtowns with far less population, and no rail, supporting teams, I think we'll be just fine. I've gathered from your takes you seem to think every city with an NBA team is like Atlanta in size & growth. It's far from it. We'd be right in the middle.
You need to compare us to cities with 4 pro teams from major leagues. Memphis or OKC such compared to KC but they have no pro-competition.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:26 pm
You need to compare us to cities with 4 pro teams from major leagues. Memphis or OKC such compared to KC but they have no pro-competition.
I do look at that. And I don't count MLS as a legit sports competition yet.

Right now New Orleans has an NFL & NBA team all winter and they're half our size with no growth. Cleveland & Pittsburgh are the smallest metros with 3 of the "Big 4" sports and we're in a better situation than either of those metros. Yes I'm confident we can do it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

You seem to refuse acknowledging growth rates and the fact that sports teams are “sticky” like menu prices. MLS is growing quickly as are numerous other cities.

CLE, Pitt, and frankly potentially KC have all of these teams because they got them when they where comparatively “more important”. Does not mean the best business decision is to stay.

NoLa like Las Vegas has strong tourism. Enough to keep 2 teams may be debatable but in the past it was a serious destination.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:39 pm You seem to refuse acknowledging growth rates and the fact that sports teams are “sticky” like menu prices. MLS is growing quickly as are numerous other cities.

CLE, Pitt, and frankly potentially KC have all of these teams because they got them when they where comparatively “more important”. Does not mean the best business decision is to stay.

NoLa like Las Vegas has strong tourism. Enough to keep 2 teams may be debatable but in the past it was a serious destination.
But again, we're not a dying rust belt city like Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has been barely holding onto its NHL team because it's dying. If the Royals left, we'd get an NBA/NHL team within 2 years.

Where's our NBA & NHL team we used to have? Teams won't stay in a market just for the hell of it. The reason KC has been featured more times to get NBA (and World Cup) than any other "peer" city is because there's a growing recognition that this is a fantastic sports region & KC/downtown is trending quickly in the right direction.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:36 pm

Right now New Orleans has an NFL & NBA team all winter and they're half our size with no growth. Cleveland & Pittsburgh are the smallest metros with 3 of the "Big 4" sports and we're in a better situation than either of those metros. Yes I'm confident we can do it.
I think you need to look beyond metro population for sports. Cities like Buffalo and New Orleans stay afloat with multiple pro teams as they have good secondary markets to draw from in their regions (Baton Rouge, Rochester, Gulf Coast, Ontario etc). Heck even Omaha could probably support say an NBA team as it would have four or five other decent secondary cities in its catchment unapposed (KC, Des Moines, Lincoln, Sioux Falls). There are good metrics for us supporting an NBA team. The problem comes when all four teams want a palace and someone ends up squeezed out . Two of them are wanting something shiney in the near future. One of our best options might be to try and tempt SKC to share with the Chiefs in a facility like Atlanta (not as glitzy) but can be adapted for soccer and smaller attendances and essentially kills two birds with the one stone and gets more value out of the facility in terms of year round use.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:36 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:36 pm

I think you need to look beyond metro population for sports. Cities like Buffalo and New Orleans stay afloat with multiple pro teams as they have good secondary markets to draw from in their regions (Baton Rouge, Rochester, Gulf Coast, Ontario etc). Heck even Omaha could probably support say an NBA team as it would have four or five other decent secondary cities in its catchment unapposed (KC, Des Moines, Lincoln, Sioux Falls). There are good metrics for us supporting an NBA team. The problem comes when all four teams want a palace and someone ends up squeezed out . Two of them are wanting something shiney in the near future. One of our best options might be to try and tempt SKC to share with the Chiefs in a facility like Atlanta (not as glitzy) but can be adapted for soccer and smaller attendances and essentially kills two birds with the one stone and gets more value out of the facility in terms of year round use.
This is actually something that could go a long ways towards team retention. For both NFL and MLS, they’d both lower their cost burden for stadium maintenance, LRT becomes a (more) viable option to actually run to and past TSC. Again obviously a long shot, but who knows