NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:31 pm I cross checked the whole T-Mobile center schedule and only one day right now has a conflict. On that day, the my could just play in Lawrence at Allen Fieldhouse!
T-Mobile center already has several contracts signed for events in 2022 but they've not been announced. You typically see these events announced several months in advance, but covid has changed that. For example, they just announced a show today that takes place January 21st. These shows usually get locked in 12 months out or more. Wild West out here right now.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TMO Center has a decent schedule considering pandemic still in motion...
https://www.t-mobilecenter.com/events/all

Pollstar sometimes updated with concerts before official site...
https://www.pollstar.com/venue/t-mobile ... tes&page=0
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: NBA to Kansas Ci

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:38 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:31 pm I cross checked the whole T-Mobile center schedule and only one day right now has a conflict. On that day, the my could just play in Lawrence at Allen Fieldhouse!
T-Mobile center already has several contracts signed for events in 2022 but they've not been announced. You typically see these events announced several months in advance, but covid has changed that. For example, they just announced a show today that takes place January 21st. These shows usually get locked in 12 months out or more. Wild West out here right now.
This is correct. They could do it but it would be rough. There are other things that have to happen than just booking the dates.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Saints to play home opener in Jacksonville now as NOLA is without power and running water
https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/arti ... bd9a4.html
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

We should just have zero sports teams in all arenas then if we can't figure out scheduling with concerts!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:37 pm We should just have zero sports teams in all arenas then if we can't figure out scheduling with concerts!
Yeah even though every other NBA arena in the country hosts usually NHL and a bunch of concerts year round, somehow T-Mobile Center isn't allowed to ever even think about having NBA because...something!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:40 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:37 pm We should just have zero sports teams in all arenas then if we can't figure out scheduling with concerts!
Yeah even though every other NBA arena in the country hosts usually NHL and a bunch of concerts year round, somehow T-Mobile Center isn't allowed to ever even think about having NBA because...something!
The best argument is it was highly successful without a team. It was fourth busiest in the country and number 15 in the entire world the first half of 2016.
Why would you mess with success?

But if numbers drop so much that we can’t fill the space then limiting future opportunity because of past results is a horrible idea.
We should have a team without question if overall numbers (tickets sold) is higher with them than without
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

flyingember wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:46 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:40 pm
The best argument is it was highly successful without a team. It was fourth busiest in the country and number 15 in the entire world the first half of 2016.
Why would you mess with success?

But if numbers drop so much that we can’t fill the space then limiting future opportunity because of past results is a horrible idea.
We should have a team without question if overall numbers (tickets sold) is higher with them than without
Counter-argument would be that one of the reason the arena is busy filled with so many events is because it’s basically an NBA arena with no NBA or NHL team, so they can fill it alot more. And tbh, even if we had to, I think we’d still all rather see a team than a couple extra concerts- as for the city itself, the spin off from an NBA team would be alot more
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:06 pm Saints to play home opener in Jacksonville now as NOLA is without power and running water
https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/arti ... bd9a4.html
Power will be back on by opening night of NBA season.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Counter-argument would be that one of the reason the arena is busy filled with so many events is because it’s basically an NBA arena with no NBA or NHL team, so they can fill it alot more. And tbh, even if we had to, I think we’d still all rather see a team than a couple extra concerts- as for the city itself, the spin off from an NBA team would be alot more

Yes, there are some who would prefer a professional sports team but from a financial perspective an arena like TMC makes more money from those events than from a NBA or NHL game. Why? The teams demand much more of the revenue generated by their event than a concert or family show.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

My hot take here is that getting a World Cup bid validates us to the sports world that we're very viable for an NBA team.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:48 pm Of the mid-market cities available for NBA that aren't currently hosting NHL in the winter, you have:
Kansas City, San Diego, Tampa, Cincinnati, Louisville, Austin

All of these cities are too close to an existing team except for San Diego, except they don't have a viable stadium. It really does only leave KC once Vegas and Seattle expand.
San Diego is *out* on having on building an NBA viable arena in their grand plans. They've elected to go with the smaller 10k seat arena for minor events.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... -pessimism

I know probably most of you don't follow the NBA expansion/relocation stuff, but I have been for a couple years now heavily, and this is a huge break for 'NBA to KC' news. San Diego was really the only city I was worried about these next few years to compete with for the relocation team because they're building a brand new arena & district. Thankfully they went small and even said "we don't think we can do NBA".

Long story short- when NBA expands to Seattle & Vegas here shortly, the top remaining cities viable for a relocation team (from NOLA or Memphis) were KC or San Diego. Now it seems to be KC sitting at the top alone as the most viable (go to start of thread for factors).

P.S.- It was funny seeing San Diego say "were settling for small" because that's what we see people here claim KC does too lol
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

why not nashville?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:54 pm why not nashville?
Memphis already has a team in the same state.
They also already have NHL & NFL in the winter sports section.

Nashville is gunning very very hard for an MLB team though. They've got the ownership group ready, stadium plans already done and all. They don't have their eye set on NBA.

Three factors for an NBA to look at are:
1. Proximity to an existing team
2. A viable NBA ready venue
3. Competition from other winter sports

Kansas City is the only city that fits all three of these well. I had thought SD was the biggest threat, but they went small. Now we wait.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:06 pm

Nashville is gunning very very hard for an MLB team though. They've got the ownership group ready, stadium plans already done and all. They don't have their eye set on NBA.

Kansas City is the only city that fits all three of these well. I had thought SD was the biggest threat, but they went small. Now we wait.
you say that memphis might loose a team, why not to Nashville. They have the tourism and money to support another winter sport
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:51 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:06 pm

you say that memphis might loose a team, why not to Nashville. They have the tourism and money to support another winter sport
Yes, it's possible. Memphis could go over to Nashville, although I think KC has a better case for a team all around.

From everything I've read, Nashville isn't focusing much on NBA right now and is wanting MLB foremost. I get why, since they're lacking a summer sport and already have two winter teams. The lease on Memphis is 2027 and NOLA is 2024.

On the flip side, KC is solely focused on NBA and isn't seeking anything else. We're mostly watching for New Orleans to move though anyway. There's just way to big of a gap in this part of the country without NBA. I think the league knows that too.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:48 pm On the flip side, KC is solely focused on NBA and isn't seeking anything else.

How is KC "focused" on seeking the NBA? Or better yet, "who" is focused on bringing a team here? I'm not aware of any organized push to sell the league on the city or identify an appropriate ownership group.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Predators are in Nashville.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:45 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:48 pm On the flip side, KC is solely focused on NBA and isn't seeking anything else.

How is KC "focused" on seeking the NBA? Or better yet, "who" is focused on bringing a team here? I'm not aware of any organized push to sell the league on the city or identify an appropriate ownership group.
Articles from CNBC and other sites have talked about KC showing a keen interest and grassroots campaigns organizing to get the movement started.

This is where people get most confused though- we do NOT need a local ownership group. We just need Memphis or NOLA to sell or relocate and for someone to bring it here. There’s no better place for a team given all the factors.

It will probably be Mahomes and then a bunch of investors from all over, with Mahomes steering the team here. As I’ve mentioned before, there won’t be a better market and place for a team than here. Any ownership group would recognize that.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:45 am

There was an organized push to sell the NBA on KC when the Raptors were looking to temporarily relocate. The ownership question is a good one and KC's biggest hurdle.