NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

mgsports wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:57 pm Suns/Mercury for sale.
Was hoping someone locally would make a run at the Mercury since NWSL has done so well & is growing here.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

KCBJ ran article today on new billionaire moving to town. Woman to be in charge of Leads Bank, tech & fintech guru. Maybe she has friends that want to help her get an NBA & WBNA to town 🤷🏼‍♂️
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 am KCBJ ran article today on new billionaire moving to town. Woman to be in charge of Leads Bank, tech & fintech guru. Maybe she has friends that want to help her get an NBA & WBNA to town 🤷🏼‍♂️
The same thought crossed my mind, although I'm not putting any stock in it. Mahomes & lady could be a force one day for it.

I do think it's been undersold that a billionaire chose to move here. I don't think that happens if this is 2003.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:35 pm
Was hoping someone locally would make a run at the Mercury since NWSL has done so well & is growing here.
A WNBA team feels like the last thing we need. Where would they play? It wouldn’t be at t-mobile.

Can’t imagine the Suns are leaving the Phoenix market.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Hy-Vee Arena. Some play in NBA area's because Sparks,Liberty and so on.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Why can't they play at municipal?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah, they are not expected to relocate. Just an issue with the owner making issues for himself time after time, this was long overdue.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:25 am
A WNBA team feels like the last thing we need. Where would they play? It wouldn’t be at t-mobile.

Because having WNBA is a good precursor to getting an NBA team one day. Vegas having the Aces is a reason they’re getting expansion. League likes having both in town.

If league or investors see that KC has people show up for WNBA (which I think we would) then they’ll be much more open to relocating a team here one day.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:11 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:25 am

Because having WNBA is a good precursor to getting an NBA team one day. Vegas having the Aces is a reason they’re getting expansion. League likes having both in town.

If league or investors see that KC has people show up for WNBA (which I think we would) then they’ll be much more open to relocating a team here one day.
I wouldn't touch that concept with a thousand foot pole. The sparks struggle to get 5,000 people to a game in a city of 12 million people and arguably the most liberal, pro-female market in the world. Getting a WNBA team to KC is just a great way to push the idea of getting a NBA team back a decade.

Not to mention, we don't need any baby steps before getting a NBA or NHL team. This city has proven it's a great sports town. We have the facility, the fans and the demand.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Women's soccer it's just different, similar to tennis or gymnastics or ice skating. I don't know what it is but culture is weird.

I've been at power and light for women's soccer games and it's often more fun than the men's watch parties and just as busy.

I don't see any of that culture in WNBA. I'm the wrong one to ask because I don't care much for NBA or WNBA, but I don't see their fan base making the cultural push to make them things people want to be involved in.

If you walk by power and light this weekend you'll see a bunch of people at 7am watching an English women's soccer game at Johnny's.

It's a fairly liberal, young, international group that cares about women's sports, enjoys watching it, and wants it to be successful.

I haven't seen anything like that from the NBA.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Tulsa has WNBA and OKC Thunder.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:59 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 am KCBJ ran article today on new billionaire moving to town. Woman to be in charge of Leads Bank, tech & fintech guru. Maybe she has friends that want to help her get an NBA & WBNA to town 🤷🏼‍♂️
The same thought crossed my mind, although I'm not putting any stock in it. Mahomes & lady could be a force one day for it.

I do think it's been undersold that a billionaire chose to move here. I don't think that happens if this is 2003.
Just having some fun honestly, & never expect them to leave Phoenix. However like you said the fact that a woman billionaire from the tech industry is moving to KC is a big deal. If you read her bio & follow her story she is heavily connected, brilliant, and motivated worker. Having her here & eventually becoming a champion for the metro will bring some clout. Places like Austin & Nashville grew out of grassroots word of mouth. Now both bring state capitals helped spur dollars to backup that grassroots momentum but, so yeah I get that. But point is the more of these people who want come here, put down roots, & invest in the metro is great & will go a long way to attracting business development & bringing in other successful, progressive leaders that will help move the needle more & quicker for KC. Curious to see what she brings to Leads Bank
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:06 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:59 am

Just having some fun honestly, & never expect them to leave Phoenix. However like you said the fact that a woman billionaire from the tech industry is moving to KC is a big deal. If you read her bio & follow her story she is heavily connected, brilliant, and motivated worker. Having her here & eventually becoming a champion for the metro will bring some clout. Places like Austin & Nashville grew out of grassroots word of mouth. Now both bring state capitals helped spur dollars to backup that grassroots momentum but, so yeah I get that. But point is the more of these people who want come here, put down roots, & invest in the metro is great & will go a long way to attracting business development & bringing in other successful, progressive leaders that will help move the needle more & quicker for KC. Curious to see what she brings to Leads Bank
Yeah. Like I said, I doubt she comes here in 2003 or even 2010. It's a great sign. And concur, don't think Suns are leaving Phoenix. But one day some team will come available and we'll be poised to strike if we have residents like this + a face like Mahomes to promote it.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Suns are the oldest franchise in PHX, they are never leaving that city, they have a ton of history
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Clark Hunt is rich enough to own an NBA team.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:22 pm Clark Hunt is rich enough to own an NBA team.
Need a face though. Have to get a star to lead the group.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:46 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:22 pm Clark Hunt is rich enough to own an NBA team.
There is no need to? Hunt Family is in the top 20 wealthiest families. He has power and wealth enough to syndicate the team ownership.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:49 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:46 pm
There is no need to? Hunt Family is in the top 20 wealthiest families. He has power and wealth enough to syndicate the team ownership.
That kind of stuff worked 30+ years ago when all u needed was money, NBA wants owners that people know like a bezos or a musk, a Jordan, nobody wants crusty old white men anymore
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

lol Bezos is a "crusty old white person" and so is Musk...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:05 am lol Bezos is a "crusty old white person" and so is Musk...
And neither own an NBA team lol