NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:12 pm But I just do not see the local big money players that have a desire to make it work. Mahomes may want basketball, and he has a nice bankroll. But we need ownership, a person or select group, that can provided like 5 times the wealth he has and one that can sustain it for the long haul and has the money to spend right away to make it happen.
I'll say this again for tenth time- we do not need a local ownership group to bring a team here. We just need Mahomes to lead it & start it and he will attract investors from everywhere. The hardest part of getting a team here will be finding a small market team up for sale that we can move.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:01 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 am I don't see how you can ignore the MLS. They directly compete for the same entertainment dollars. What's the difference between 19,000 people at the soccer stadium vs 19,000 people at Kauffman stadium or 19,000 people at a NHL or NBA game downtown?
TV ratings
True, but when it comes to fans and corporate support I would bet Sporting KC is very much in play.

I do think Mahomes is KC's shot at the NBA. Probably KC's only shot. It doesn't need to be all Mahome, just him being a major investor and major involved owner is probably enough. He would just need to put together an investment team and go after a team. But I really doubt he has the time for that right now and may not even have enough cash on hand yet to really get the ball rolling. I think this is something that is at least a decade out, but I would bet that KC has a NBA or NHL team within the next 20 years.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:31 pm
shinatoo wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:40 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm Honestly, I really only want an NBA team for the development aspect of it and bringing more people DT. It's SO boring to watch and I'm not even interested in the personalities of the players anymore. They need a fullscale overhaul of that sport.
+1
+2
NBA's TV numbers continue to grow and the league's revenue is skyrocketing. And there's so much young, future superstar talent spread across the league. The NBA is in a good place.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:12 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 am I don't see how you can ignore the MLS. They directly compete for the same entertainment dollars. What's the difference between 19,000 people at the soccer stadium vs 19,000 people at Kauffman stadium or 19,000 people at a NHL or NBA game downtown?
TV ratings
True, but when it comes to fans and corporate support I would bet Sporting KC is very much in play.

I do think Mahomes is KC's shot at the NBA. Probably KC's only shot. It doesn't need to be all Mahome, just him being a major investor and major involved owner is probably enough. He would just need to put together an investment team and go after a team. But I really doubt he has the time for that right now and may not even have enough cash on hand yet to really get the ball rolling. I think this is something that is at least a decade out, but I would bet that KC has a NBA or NHL team within the next 20 years.
I agree. I think it's gonna happen & Mahomes (local lead owner) was the final piece.

The timeframe is the only part of this equation that I don't know about. It just all depends on when a small market owner decide to sell, die, etc. It's out of our control. However it's inevitable to happen at some point.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

TV ratings
If this were really true, Apple would have walked right on by rather than taking a chance. They know the regular ratings system has changed & might even be completely different in a couple of years. Just look at how key demo dominates absolutely everything now.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:44 pm
TV ratings
If this were really true, Apple would have walked right on by rather than taking a chance. They know the regular ratings system has changed & might even be completely different in a couple of years. Just look at how key demo dominates absolutely everything now.
I’m not saying it’s not a nice growing league. It’s just not in the Big 4 yet. They don’t have following even at the NHL’s level yet.

Where that could change is after the US hosts the 2026 World Cup. FIFA is banking on that. And that’s why Apple signed that long term deal too.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:08 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:12 pm But I just do not see the local big money players that have a desire to make it work. Mahomes may want basketball, and he has a nice bankroll. But we need ownership, a person or select group, that can provided like 5 times the wealth he has and one that can sustain it for the long haul and has the money to spend right away to make it happen.
I'll say this again for tenth time- we do not need a local ownership group to bring a team here. We just need Mahomes to lead it & start it and he will attract investors from everywhere. The hardest part of getting a team here will be finding a small market team up for sale that we can move.
I’ll say it for the 11th time, it’s a pipe dream with a scenario you’ve put in place that is not really obtainable. Mahomes is not a magic bullet to financial development. Investors do not salivate to Pat ringing the bell like Pavlovian dogs. I appreciate your passion & optimism. I would love an NBA team and if KC grows into a market to sustain a 3rd major pro franchise (I still consider MLS to be fringe, but gaining every day) then the NBA would be my preference rather than NHL. If a team decides to relocate we have a shot. I’d put it 30% of us getting a relocated team. New expansion team is out at 5%
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:37 pm
TV ratings
Yeah and it's like the 4th best league in its respective sport. Not the case with NFL, NBA or NHL. Until that gap closes I just don't see much of an argument.
Even if MLS was a juggernaut league- it’s not a winter sport. There are markers much smaller & dying that have NBA & NFL and do fine. The Mayor & others know we can handle it, we just need a team to come up for sale. I think Pat will get us the ownership group in 8-10 years.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:32 pm
I’ll say it for the 11th time, it’s a pipe dream with a scenario you’ve put in place that is not really obtainable. Mahomes is not a magic bullet to financial development. Investors do not salivate to Pat ringing the bell like Pavlovian dogs. I appreciate your passion & optimism. I would love an NBA team and if KC grows into a market to sustain a 3rd major pro franchise (I still consider MLS to be fringe, but gaining every day) then the NBA would be my preference rather than NHL. If a team decides to relocate we have a shot. I’d put it 30% of us getting a relocated team. New expansion team is out at 5%
I’m gonna have to just disagree with you there. Guys like Mahomes, Lebron, Magic Johnson, Alex Rodriguez are the “magic bullet” types that are leading almost every new sports franchise purchase.

A-Rod bought the T-Wolves, Michael Jordan bought the Hornets, Magic led the Dodgers group, Lebron is trying to get a team to Vegas right now, etc. It’s very common. I’d be more shocked in 8-12 years if Mahomes wasn’t involved in buying a sports franchise.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

MLS ~17 home matches per season = 323,000 people downtown
MLB ~80 home games per season = 1,520,000 people downtown
NBA/NHL ~40 home games per season = 760,000 people downtown

I prefer MLS over any of the other leagues but there really is no comparison in terms of the spending potential.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:12 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:32 pm

I’m gonna have to just disagree with you there. Guys like Mahomes, Lebron, Magic Johnson, Alex Rodriguez are the “magic bullet” types that are leading almost every new sports franchise purchase.

A-Rod bought the T-Wolves, Michael Jordan bought the Hornets, Magic led the Dodgers group, Lebron is trying to get a team to Vegas right now, etc. It’s very common. I’d be more shocked in 8-12 years if Mahomes wasn’t involved in buying a sports franchise.
No worries, and agree to disagree for sure. There are examples of such super star players getting involved in the business/ownership side of sports. Could something like this happen after Mahomes retires? Sure. A lot of it depends on how his career pans out and assuming he keeps himself at the very top of the game and thus top of the media world we live in. We shall see what Mahomes appetite is for pro sports ownership based on his investment now in the Royals & Current. Plus I'm not sure what a guy like Mahomes end game is when it comes to his life after football. Does he stay around KC, or move on? He loves KC now and is deeply involved in the community for sure. I do not see him leaving and him wanting to remain a fixture but you never know. I just look at that as a answer to getting an NBA franchise with a lot more questions than the simple "Mahomes" is the key. He's a factor for sure. Regardless though, I hope you are right or the combination of our 2 thoughts is right and KC gets a NBA Team. Bottom line, I want an NBA franchise in KC. How we get it is somewhat immaterial to me as I will be buying tickets to games, watching on TV, buying merchandise, etc. as a fan of the team.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

kcjak wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:04 am

I prefer MLS over any of the other leagues but there really is no comparison in terms of the spending potential.
I reject these numbers, but you also have to look at who owns the facility and makes money off of it and who pays for it.

Especially hosting other events.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:36 am
kcjak wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:04 am

I reject these numbers, but you also have to look at who owns the facility and makes money off of it and who pays for it.

Hmmm not sure how one rejects numbers like this - if you have more games/matches in Sport A than Sport B you would see more people in a given location for Sport A. I thought we were talking about $ spent not just inside a sporting venue but in a hypothetical surrounding area.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"NBA/NHL ~40 home games per season = 760,000 people downtown"

So you must be assuming a sellout for each and every game.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

"A-Rod bought the T-Wolves"

A-Rod and his partner bought the T-Wolves for $1.5B, each being a 50/50 partner. Can you imagine how much a team might cost 10 years from now. Do you think Mahomes could fork over $750M in ten years?
The time to try and secure a NBA team is now. By that I mean getting an ownership team together and working with the city and T-Mobile management group on what a lease would look like. That way the city is ready to strike if and when a team becomes available.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:36 am

Especially true if it is a concert. T-Mobile management makes more money off of a concert than what a NBA team would bring in for a game, much more. Simple reason being the sports team would demand much of what the management company brings in not just for their games but also suites and advertising revenues and likely concessions. That is if the team doesn't demand total control of the arena.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:14 am Plus I'm not sure what a guy like Mahomes end game is when it comes to his life after football. Does he stay around KC, or move on? He loves KC now and is deeply involved in the community for sure.
Mahomes said in an interview with the Star last year that getting an NBA team here is in the plans of something he wants to do. He is also setting down his permanent roots in KC.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:14 pm "A-Rod bought the T-Wolves"

A-Rod and his partner bought the T-Wolves for $1.5B, each being a 50/50 partner. Can you imagine how much a team might cost 10 years from now. Do you think Mahomes could fork over $750M in ten years?
The time to try and secure a NBA team is now. By that I mean getting an ownership team together and working with the city and T-Mobile management group on what a lease would look like. That way the city is ready to strike if and when a team becomes available.
It's too soon for us to do that because Mahomes still needs to build up his wealth empire. I think it's very possible Mahomes would fork over that much money because investing in a sports franchise is one of the most sure-fire ways to get returns on your investment. He also doesn't necessarily have to be 50% or more, he just needs to be the face of the group.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:09 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:14 am Plus I'm not sure what a guy like Mahomes end game is when it comes to his life after football. Does he stay around KC, or move on? He loves KC now and is deeply involved in the community for sure.
Mahomes said in an interview with the Star last year that getting an NBA team here is in the plans of something he wants to do. He is also setting down his permanent roots in KC.
He is still a young man filled with hopes, dreams, and desires. However a lot can happen during that ten year, or longer, period that can change those hopes, dreams, and desires. Placing your bets on Mahomes at this point in time is a long shot.
As I wrote, the time to prepare in now and be ready if or when a team becomes available. To wait till an announcement that a team is willing to be sold or moved may just be too late. It takes time to get a group together and an arena committed. You would want your offer/proposal to be the first one out there to set the standard.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Suns/Mercury for sale.