NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:00 pm Didn't Sacramento just build a new arena? KC has always just lacked an owner, but I can see Mahomes bringing a team to KC, but it's probably many years out.
Does anyone know how Mahomes contract is structured? That is how much cash he is paid annually and how much is deferred. In 10 years he may be a billionaire on paper but be cash poor. Not poor poor but not having enough cash to be the lead in an ownership group, just a face. For KC to wait 10 or more years for Mahomes can be the wrong choice. Who knows, the so-called troubled NBA teams might have already solved their problems one way or another.
If the city wants a team the time is now to get an ownership group together and be ready to strike if and when a team becomes available.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Not counting MLS as legit competition is dumb. The ratings are a bit of an issue but cash flow & attendance continues to go way up & is above the NHL in many ways. You're better off not counting NHL over MLS.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:28 am
Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:36 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:36 pm

I do look at that. And I don't count MLS as a legit sports competition yet.

Right now New Orleans has an NFL & NBA team all winter and they're half our size with no growth. Cleveland & Pittsburgh are the smallest metros with 3 of the "Big 4" sports and we're in a better situation than either of those metros. Yes I'm confident we can do it.
I think you need to look beyond metro population for sports. Cities like Buffalo and New Orleans stay afloat with multiple pro teams as they have good secondary markets to draw from in their regions (Baton Rouge, Rochester, Gulf Coast, Ontario etc). Heck even Omaha could probably support say an NBA team as it would have four or five other decent secondary cities in its catchment unapposed (KC, Des Moines, Lincoln, Sioux Falls). There are good metrics for us supporting an NBA team. The problem comes when all four teams want a palace and someone ends up squeezed out . Two of them are wanting something shiney in the near future. One of our best options might be to try and tempt SKC to share with the Chiefs in a facility like Atlanta (not as glitzy) but can be adapted for soccer and smaller attendances and essentially kills two birds with the one stone and gets more value out of the facility in terms of year round use.
This is actually something that could go a long ways towards team retention. For both NFL and MLS, they’d both lower their cost burden for stadium maintenance, LRT becomes a (more) viable option to actually run to and past TSC. Again obviously a long shot, but who knows
A KC version of what Seattle has with the Seahawks/Sounders in the West Bottoms? I'm here for that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:28 am
Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:36 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:36 pm

I do look at that. And I don't count MLS as a legit sports competition yet.

Right now New Orleans has an NFL & NBA team all winter and they're half our size with no growth. Cleveland & Pittsburgh are the smallest metros with 3 of the "Big 4" sports and we're in a better situation than either of those metros. Yes I'm confident we can do it.
I think you need to look beyond metro population for sports. Cities like Buffalo and New Orleans stay afloat with multiple pro teams as they have good secondary markets to draw from in their regions (Baton Rouge, Rochester, Gulf Coast, Ontario etc). Heck even Omaha could probably support say an NBA team as it would have four or five other decent secondary cities in its catchment unapposed (KC, Des Moines, Lincoln, Sioux Falls). There are good metrics for us supporting an NBA team. The problem comes when all four teams want a palace and someone ends up squeezed out . Two of them are wanting something shiney in the near future. One of our best options might be to try and tempt SKC to share with the Chiefs in a facility like Atlanta (not as glitzy) but can be adapted for soccer and smaller attendances and essentially kills two birds with the one stone and gets more value out of the facility in terms of year round use.
This is actually something that could go a long ways towards team retention. For both NFL and MLS, they’d both lower their cost burden for stadium maintenance, LRT becomes a (more) viable option to actually run to and past TSC. Again obviously a long shot, but who knows
This becomes a league question. For the most part, MLS is requiring teams to have dedicated facilities. Sporting KC ownership LOVES having their own stadium. Lots of minds must be convinced.

It would be great to have NFL and MLS in the West Bottoms. IIRC, MLS required separate spaces for each league(ie locker rooms training etc).

My only issue with WB is running LRT to the stadium and through downtown. Needs to be actual dedicated ROW stuff and idk where that’s going to go.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:59 am Not counting MLS as legit competition is dumb. The ratings are a bit of an issue but cash flow & attendance continues to go way up & is above the NHL in many ways. You're better off not counting NHL over MLS.
Even if you count it, it’s a spring-summer sport whereas NBA is basically be opposite season.

We have the Royals/SKC play 100+ home games together during the spring/summer and nobody sees it as a problem.

But the Chiefs with their 8 home games in the winter CANT handle an NBA team? Insanity.

See what I’m saying? We easily have the room for NBA team since we sorely lack a winter time sport.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

No everyone is saying Royals is a problem. The stadium is empty even on the busiest days.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:48 pm No everyone is saying Royals is a problem. The stadium is empty even on the busiest days.
1. That's mostly because they're a shitty team
2. New stadium will be much smaller
3. New stadium should more fans regardless
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:54 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:48 pm No everyone is saying Royals is a problem. The stadium is empty even on the busiest days.
A new stadium won’t solve every problem.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:55 pm
Honestly it's 90% because of the how incompetent & shitty the team is. It's really sad.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:55 pm

Honestly it's 90% because of the how incompetent & shitty the team is. It's really sad.
I’m just saying STL has just as many pro-teams now and seems to support them just as well if not better.

Ofc no NFL but even their MLS team has off the charts season ticket demand
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Honestly, I really only want an NBA team for the development aspect of it and bringing more people DT. It's SO boring to watch and I'm not even interested in the personalities of the players anymore. They need a fullscale overhaul of that sport.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:06 pm

I’m just saying STL has just as many pro-teams now and seems to support them just as well if not better.

Haha, that’s because their teams are actually good. If we were the Cardinals we’d be selling out. The Chiefs do fine tho.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:57 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:06 pm

Haha, that’s because their teams are actually good. If we were the Cardinals we’d be selling out. The Chiefs do fine tho.
Their MLS team doesn’t even exist yet and has higher demand
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The royals went to the World Series two years in a row and topped off at around 10th in attendance.

I wouldn’t read too much into those mls numbers. If we were building downtown like that we’d have similar numbers. Sporting does well, even out in Kansas.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm Honestly, I really only want an NBA team for the development aspect of it and bringing more people DT. It's SO boring to watch and I'm not even interested in the personalities of the players anymore. They need a fullscale overhaul of that sport.
+1
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:40 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm Honestly, I really only want an NBA team for the development aspect of it and bringing more people DT. It's SO boring to watch and I'm not even interested in the personalities of the players anymore. They need a fullscale overhaul of that sport.
+1
+2
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:12 pm The royals went to the World Series two years in a row and topped off at around 10th in attendance.

I wouldn’t read too much into those mls numbers. If we were building downtown like that we’d have similar numbers. Sporting does well, even out in Kansas.
I mean, come on though, it’s the St. Louis Cardinals. They’re the best franchise outside the Yankees. Perennial contenders. Baseball royalty. They’re the Packers of the MLB.

A couple World Series isn’t gonna get us near tbhI attendance of a century of baseball royalty. Yeah I’m not buying the MLS thing though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't see how you can ignore the MLS. They directly compete for the same entertainment dollars. What's the difference between 19,000 people at the soccer stadium vs 19,000 people at Kauffman stadium or 19,000 people at a NHL or NBA game downtown?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 am I don't see how you can ignore the MLS. They directly compete for the same entertainment dollars. What's the difference between 19,000 people at the soccer stadium vs 19,000 people at Kauffman stadium or 19,000 people at a NHL or NBA game downtown?
TV ratings
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

NBA in KC would be awesome, but pretty much a pipe dream. Unless a franchise and their ownership group moves to KC the chances of us getting a franchise are very very slim. Would the NBA want us as a market? Sure they would. They have seen the TV audience numbers for KC when it comes to all sports and those of NBA and college basketball. They know there are fans of the game here. There are dollars here for people ready to spend on sports. And the more teams win the more popular they are, regardless of the sport.

But I just do not see the local big money players that have a desire to make it work. Mahomes may want basketball, and he has a nice bankroll. But we need ownership, a person or select group, that can provided like 5 times the wealth he has and one that can sustain it for the long haul and has the money to spend right away to make it happen. Like I said I would love for the NBA to return and I would be first in line spending my money to go to games. But until there is more corporate dollars in town, more big businesses, and the money people behind them, I just find it hard to see an NBA team any time soon.