NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:06 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:55 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:55 pm

A new stadium won’t solve every problem.
Honestly it's 90% because of the how incompetent & shitty the team is. It's really sad.
I’m just saying STL has just as many pro-teams now and seems to support them just as well if not better.

Ofc no NFL but even their MLS team has off the charts season ticket demand
Haha, that’s because their teams are actually good. If we were the Cardinals we’d be selling out. The Chiefs do fine tho.
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:57 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:06 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:55 pm

Honestly it's 90% because of the how incompetent & shitty the team is. It's really sad.
I’m just saying STL has just as many pro-teams now and seems to support them just as well if not better.

Ofc no NFL but even their MLS team has off the charts season ticket demand
Haha, that’s because their teams are actually good. If we were the Cardinals we’d be selling out. The Chiefs do fine tho.
Their MLS team doesn’t even exist yet and has higher demand
WoodDraw
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by WoodDraw »

The royals went to the World Series two years in a row and topped off at around 10th in attendance.

I wouldn’t read too much into those mls numbers. If we were building downtown like that we’d have similar numbers. Sporting does well, even out in Kansas.
Fountains
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Fountains »

FangKC wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:21 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:50 pm The players won’t go to Mexico City, lol. Do your research first instead of reading headlines.
And uhh it’s because Mexico City is unsafe, pretty far away in a foreign country, and oh yeah it’s not even a developed country? It’s not some thing about “Mexico City is cOoLeR than KC”. Players just don’t want to live outside the US or Canada. I can’t believe I actually had explain that.
P.S.- they play in Indy, Sacramento, Memphis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc…nobody has a problem playing in any low level US cities like these. They just don’t want to live in the middle of Mexico.
I'm not here to argue about whether teams will end up in KC or any other US city.

I'm here to push back a bit on some statements. First of all, Mexico City is the largest metropolitan area in North America. Its metro area is 21.8 million. It has 10 times more people than the Kansas City metro. New York City's metro population is 20.1 million. Los Angeles' metro population is 13. 2 million.

Mexico City is a very cosmopolitan city. There are probably basketball players that would prefer to live in Mexico City over some US cities.

It's also not that "far away."

Air distance between cities

Mexico City to Houston: 766 miles
Mexico City to Dallas: 939 miles
Mexico City to Phoenix: 1254 miles
Mexico City to LA: 1548 miles
Mexico City to KC: 1213 miles
Mexico City to NYC: 2093 miles
Mexico City to Seattle: 2335 miles
Mexico City to Miami: 1275 miles
Mexico City to Denver: 1450 miles

NYC to LA: 2464 miles
Seattle to Miami: 2722 miles
Boston to San Diego: 2583 miles
KC to Boston: 1254 miles
KC to Miami: 1253 miles
KC to Seattle: 1487 miles
KC to LA: 1361 miles
KC to Portland: 1479 miles
KC to San Francisco: 1496 miles
Denver to Miami: 1708 miles
Denver to Boston: 1750 miles

Kansas City is closer to Mexico City than it is to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Miami, Portland, and Seattle.
Los Angeles is closer to Mexico City than it is to NYC.
Denver is closer to Mexico City than it is to Miami or Boston.
Miami is closer to Mexico City than it is to Seattle.
New York City is closer to Mexico City than Los Angeles.
Yup and lots more money from an ownership stand point. The NBA is becoming an international game it makes sense.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm Honestly, I really only want an NBA team for the development aspect of it and bringing more people DT. It's SO boring to watch and I'm not even interested in the personalities of the players anymore. They need a fullscale overhaul of that sport.
+1
Anthony_Hugo98
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:40 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm Honestly, I really only want an NBA team for the development aspect of it and bringing more people DT. It's SO boring to watch and I'm not even interested in the personalities of the players anymore. They need a fullscale overhaul of that sport.
+1
+2
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:12 pm The royals went to the World Series two years in a row and topped off at around 10th in attendance.

I wouldn’t read too much into those mls numbers. If we were building downtown like that we’d have similar numbers. Sporting does well, even out in Kansas.
I mean, come on though, it’s the St. Louis Cardinals. They’re the best franchise outside the Yankees. Perennial contenders. Baseball royalty. They’re the Packers of the MLB.

A couple World Series isn’t gonna get us near tbhI attendance of a century of baseball royalty. Yeah I’m not buying the MLS thing though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't see how you can ignore the MLS. They directly compete for the same entertainment dollars. What's the difference between 19,000 people at the soccer stadium vs 19,000 people at Kauffman stadium or 19,000 people at a NHL or NBA game downtown?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 am I don't see how you can ignore the MLS. They directly compete for the same entertainment dollars. What's the difference between 19,000 people at the soccer stadium vs 19,000 people at Kauffman stadium or 19,000 people at a NHL or NBA game downtown?
TV ratings
dukuboy1
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by dukuboy1 »

NBA in KC would be awesome, but pretty much a pipe dream. Unless a franchise and their ownership group moves to KC the chances of us getting a franchise are very very slim. Would the NBA want us as a market? Sure they would. They have seen the TV audience numbers for KC when it comes to all sports and those of NBA and college basketball. They know there are fans of the game here. There are dollars here for people ready to spend on sports. And the more teams win the more popular they are, regardless of the sport.

But I just do not see the local big money players that have a desire to make it work. Mahomes may want basketball, and he has a nice bankroll. But we need ownership, a person or select group, that can provided like 5 times the wealth he has and one that can sustain it for the long haul and has the money to spend right away to make it happen. Like I said I would love for the NBA to return and I would be first in line spending my money to go to games. But until there is more corporate dollars in town, more big businesses, and the money people behind them, I just find it hard to see an NBA team any time soon.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:12 pm But I just do not see the local big money players that have a desire to make it work. Mahomes may want basketball, and he has a nice bankroll. But we need ownership, a person or select group, that can provided like 5 times the wealth he has and one that can sustain it for the long haul and has the money to spend right away to make it happen.
I'll say this again for tenth time- we do not need a local ownership group to bring a team here. We just need Mahomes to lead it & start it and he will attract investors from everywhere. The hardest part of getting a team here will be finding a small market team up for sale that we can move.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:01 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 am I don't see how you can ignore the MLS. They directly compete for the same entertainment dollars. What's the difference between 19,000 people at the soccer stadium vs 19,000 people at Kauffman stadium or 19,000 people at a NHL or NBA game downtown?
TV ratings
True, but when it comes to fans and corporate support I would bet Sporting KC is very much in play.

I do think Mahomes is KC's shot at the NBA. Probably KC's only shot. It doesn't need to be all Mahome, just him being a major investor and major involved owner is probably enough. He would just need to put together an investment team and go after a team. But I really doubt he has the time for that right now and may not even have enough cash on hand yet to really get the ball rolling. I think this is something that is at least a decade out, but I would bet that KC has a NBA or NHL team within the next 20 years.
Link2
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Link2 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:31 pm
shinatoo wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:40 pm
+1
+2
NBA's TV numbers continue to grow and the league's revenue is skyrocketing. And there's so much young, future superstar talent spread across the league. The NBA is in a good place.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:12 pm
TV ratings
True, but when it comes to fans and corporate support I would bet Sporting KC is very much in play.

I do think Mahomes is KC's shot at the NBA. Probably KC's only shot. It doesn't need to be all Mahome, just him being a major investor and major involved owner is probably enough. He would just need to put together an investment team and go after a team. But I really doubt he has the time for that right now and may not even have enough cash on hand yet to really get the ball rolling. I think this is something that is at least a decade out, but I would bet that KC has a NBA or NHL team within the next 20 years.
I agree. I think it's gonna happen & Mahomes (local lead owner) was the final piece.

The timeframe is the only part of this equation that I don't know about. It just all depends on when a small market owner decide to sell, die, etc. It's out of our control. However it's inevitable to happen at some point.
TheSmokinPun
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheSmokinPun »

TV ratings
If this were really true, Apple would have walked right on by rather than taking a chance. They know the regular ratings system has changed & might even be completely different in a couple of years. Just look at how key demo dominates absolutely everything now.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:44 pm
TV ratings
If this were really true, Apple would have walked right on by rather than taking a chance. They know the regular ratings system has changed & might even be completely different in a couple of years. Just look at how key demo dominates absolutely everything now.
I’m not saying it’s not a nice growing league. It’s just not in the Big 4 yet. They don’t have following even at the NHL’s level yet.

Where that could change is after the US hosts the 2026 World Cup. FIFA is banking on that. And that’s why Apple signed that long term deal too.
Fountains
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Fountains »

TV ratings
Yeah and it's like the 4th best league in its respective sport. Not the case with NFL, NBA or NHL. Until that gap closes I just don't see much of an argument.
dukuboy1
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by dukuboy1 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:08 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:12 pm But I just do not see the local big money players that have a desire to make it work. Mahomes may want basketball, and he has a nice bankroll. But we need ownership, a person or select group, that can provided like 5 times the wealth he has and one that can sustain it for the long haul and has the money to spend right away to make it happen.
I'll say this again for tenth time- we do not need a local ownership group to bring a team here. We just need Mahomes to lead it & start it and he will attract investors from everywhere. The hardest part of getting a team here will be finding a small market team up for sale that we can move.
I’ll say it for the 11th time, it’s a pipe dream with a scenario you’ve put in place that is not really obtainable. Mahomes is not a magic bullet to financial development. Investors do not salivate to Pat ringing the bell like Pavlovian dogs. I appreciate your passion & optimism. I would love an NBA team and if KC grows into a market to sustain a 3rd major pro franchise (I still consider MLS to be fringe, but gaining every day) then the NBA would be my preference rather than NHL. If a team decides to relocate we have a shot. I’d put it 30% of us getting a relocated team. New expansion team is out at 5%
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:37 pm
TV ratings
Yeah and it's like the 4th best league in its respective sport. Not the case with NFL, NBA or NHL. Until that gap closes I just don't see much of an argument.
Even if MLS was a juggernaut league- it’s not a winter sport. There are markers much smaller & dying that have NBA & NFL and do fine. The Mayor & others know we can handle it, we just need a team to come up for sale. I think Pat will get us the ownership group in 8-10 years.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:32 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:08 pm
I’ll say it for the 11th time, it’s a pipe dream with a scenario you’ve put in place that is not really obtainable. Mahomes is not a magic bullet to financial development. Investors do not salivate to Pat ringing the bell like Pavlovian dogs. I appreciate your passion & optimism. I would love an NBA team and if KC grows into a market to sustain a 3rd major pro franchise (I still consider MLS to be fringe, but gaining every day) then the NBA would be my preference rather than NHL. If a team decides to relocate we have a shot. I’d put it 30% of us getting a relocated team. New expansion team is out at 5%
I’m gonna have to just disagree with you there. Guys like Mahomes, Lebron, Magic Johnson, Alex Rodriguez are the “magic bullet” types that are leading almost every new sports franchise purchase.

A-Rod bought the T-Wolves, Michael Jordan bought the Hornets, Magic led the Dodgers group, Lebron is trying to get a team to Vegas right now, etc. It’s very common. I’d be more shocked in 8-12 years if Mahomes wasn’t involved in buying a sports franchise.