NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:36 pm T-Mobile Center stands as a shining example of ongoing renovations, recently further enhanced through a new naming rights agreement. It not only meets the standards set by the finest NBA arenas in the country but, in many aspects, surpasses them. The venue excels in every aspect that an NBA team values - from its impressive scoreboard and high-definition video displays to its state-of-the-art ribbon boards and outstanding sound system.

While the arena's overall quality is remarkable, there are a few areas where potential enhancements might be considered by an NBA team. Customized locker rooms and branded aesthetics could be explored to further elevate the experience. Customizable exterior lighting options could transform the venue's nighttime appearance, providing more opportunities for branding and creating a distinct visual identity. It's fairly lame at night currently.

Additionally, converting some of the current open bar areas into level 100 suites would not only enhance the fan experience but also maximize revenue potential. It was built with this option in mind.

T-Mobile Center is so well-equipped that an NBA team could start playing there tomorrow, likely outpacing the facilities of several existing teams in the league.
Are you a professional copywriter or this written by ChatGPT?

Agreed on all points—T-Mobile center remains a top-tier venue. Quick question though, is the trend not towards increasing open bar areas in modern arenas to drive F&B sales?

As to the general thread: count me as skeptical that OKC would relocate. New Orleans, IMO, remains the likeliest candidate.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:20 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:36 pm T-Mobile Center stands as a shining example of ongoing renovations, recently further enhanced through a new naming rights agreement. It not only meets the standards set by the finest NBA arenas in the country but, in many aspects, surpasses them. The venue excels in every aspect that an NBA team values - from its impressive scoreboard and high-definition video displays to its state-of-the-art ribbon boards and outstanding sound system.

While the arena's overall quality is remarkable, there are a few areas where potential enhancements might be considered by an NBA team. Customized locker rooms and branded aesthetics could be explored to further elevate the experience. Customizable exterior lighting options could transform the venue's nighttime appearance, providing more opportunities for branding and creating a distinct visual identity. It's fairly lame at night currently.

Additionally, converting some of the current open bar areas into level 100 suites would not only enhance the fan experience but also maximize revenue potential. It was built with this option in mind.

T-Mobile Center is so well-equipped that an NBA team could start playing there tomorrow, likely outpacing the facilities of several existing teams in the league.

Agreed on all points—T-Mobile center remains a top-tier venue. Quick question though, is the trend not towards increasing open bar areas in modern arenas to drive F&B sales?

As to the general thread: count me as skeptical that OKC would relocate. New Orleans, IMO, remains the likeliest candidate.
Shockingly, ChatGBT did not write it.
I did not write the passage you provided. It appears to be a description or evaluation of the T-Mobile Center, specifically in the context of its suitability for hosting an NBA team and potential areas for improvement. If you have any questions or need further information about the T-Mobile Center or any other topic, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to provide assistance.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:13 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:25 pm Is that realistic? Have to imagine that the Thunder would want some updates to our arena, especially since it just celebrated its 16th birthday
Somehow I don't buy that a $200 million 16-year-old arena is competitive with a $900 million brand-new arena.

Sprint Center is frankly pretty close in age to what OKC has determined is too old/outdated for their needs.
$900 million today is what $200 million 16 years ago was. Comparing costs is useless. Compare features. Sprint Center has everything any modern arena does. There's no way it would need hundreds of millions in upgrades to be NBA ready. It IS NBA ready. It has all the standard quips for todays world.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

im2kull wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:32 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:25 pm Is that realistic? Have to imagine that the Thunder would want some updates to our arena, especially since it just celebrated its 16th birthday
Somehow I don't buy that a $200 million 16-year-old arena is competitive with a $900 million brand-new arena.

Sprint Center is frankly pretty close in age to what OKC has determined is too old/outdated for their needs.
$900 million today is what $200 million 16 years ago was. Comparing costs is useless. Compare features. Sprint Center has everything any modern arena does. There's no way it would need hundreds of millions in upgrades to be NBA ready. It IS NBA ready. It has all the standard quips for todays world.

$200 million in 2005 = $311.92 in 2023.

16 years at 10% annual inflation gets you to $900 million.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:20 pm

Sometimes I'm still in work mode when I type up a response and you can tell. I also work heavily in the arena, stadium design and operations world, so I've got a lot to say!

Each market is different when it comes to what's trending in the amenities world. Some cities just can't get enough suites and other premium areas to satisfy demand. That's always the better bang per square foot for arenas if they can sell them. Our market would more than likely benefit more from keeping the large open areas to general admission guests opposed to creating more suites. There are still a handful of unsold suites in T-Mobile because they're not useable for end-stage configuration concerts.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:58 pm
im2kull wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:32 pm

$200 million in 2005 = $311.92 in 2023.

16 years at 10% annual inflation gets you to $900 million.
It's cute you go by the governments figure, as if they're unbiased and accurate. Everyone in the real world knows inflation is multitudes higher. I take it you don't do much shopping and price gauging? Or construction management? Cost management? Financing?

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/footba ... 234736155/

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffa ... rry-pegula

There's no way you could build the T-Mobile Center for $312 million in todays world.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

T-mobile center is not NBA ready. It needs practice courts, new locker rooms and offices for the team, and a new scoreboard at minimum.

That said, t mobile center itself is still a quality arena and I'd argue it's nicer than Denver and STLs arenas (only current NHL/NBA arenas I've been inside)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Couldn't an NBA team use the HyVee Arena for practice courts?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dnweava wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:56 pm

T-mobile center is not NBA ready. It needs practice courts, new locker rooms and offices for the team, and a new scoreboard at minimum.

That said, t mobile center itself is still a quality arena and I'd argue it's nicer than Denver and STLs arenas (only current NHL/NBA arenas I've been inside)
NBA/NHL is not going to be lured out of existing markets for anything but a Tier-1 arena. Sprint Center is ok but its not the best or remotely closed to the best. Even the 2010s arenas blow it out of the water.

Comparing Sprint Center to 1990s arenas (lower tier in their respective leagues too) is not an inspiring thesis. The 2007 dated Sprint Center is not an equal to new arenas being built even in small and mid-market cities. There was not 5x inflation in 15 years. The quality of materials, technology, etc. has increased tremendously. What Sprint Center does have going for it is size. Roughly the right size for an NBA/NHL. Will need a big makeover before it could ever attratct a team. Basic bones are there though.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't know the current state, but the plan was always to put money into it if they got a professional tenant.

I think all the deals had agreements to pay more depending on the tenants.

That's gone up for sure, but it was always the plan.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It really doesn't need that much. Most teams have training facilities outside of the arena now, operating like NFL teams.

New videoboard, upgraded luxury seating as useless to the common mass that it is, and minor upgrades and it's ready to go. Technology has progressed a bit in the arena game since 2007 but it isn't like the arena is decrepit, I honestly feel better about it's long term health compared to the new arenas in SF & Milwaukee.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

I would rather we have an NBA team than a hockey team.

The Big 3 are NFL, MLB and NBA.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

And MLS outdrew the NHL this season.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

People are still debating if KC will get a NBA team?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:20 pm And MLS outdrew the NHL this season.
Total attendance for last season:

MLS 10.9 million
NBA 22.1 million
NHL 22.4 million
Minor league baseball 32.1 million.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

dnweava wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:32 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:20 pm And MLS outdrew the NHL this season.
Total attendance for last season:

MLS 10.9 million
NBA 22.1 million
NHL 22.4 million
Minor league baseball 32.1 million.
MLS 10.9 million - 986 games, 11054 per game
NHL 22.4 million - 2624 games, 8536 per game
Minor league baseball 32.1 million 16800 games, 2910 per game

I hate pro basketball so not bothering.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Metro wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:10 pm People are still debating if KC will get a NBA team?
Has a potential ownership group come forward?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/ ... 673926007/

Requirements for an NBA All Star Game.

Does KC have any of these??

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:16 pm https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/ ... 673926007/

Requirements for an NBA All Star Game.

Does KC have any of these??

No yes no