NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

By the time KC gets a team a new arena will be needed.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Kansas City Kings at Kemper again. Don't know what you got till it's gone.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCKev wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:04 pm Kansas City Kings at Kemper again. Don't know what you got till it's gone.
And it ain’t easy to get back. Takes so long.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Trieing to remember the players from the Kc Kings. Nate Archibald the only one that comes to mind.
Dont even recall the last year they where here🤯
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCKev wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:43 pm Trieing to remember the players from the Kc Kings. Nate Archibald the only one that comes to mind.
Dont even recall the last year they where here🤯
Same here. Otis Birdsong is another player from that era. Cotton Fitzsimmons was the coach at least for part of their stay in KC.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Scott Wedman. Sam Lacy.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:20 am By the time KC gets a team a new arena will be needed.
I don’t think so. I think TM Center is in fine shape. Was just there for the Big 12 tournament last month and thought it looked as good as any arena I’ve been to for NBA.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:40 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:20 am By the time KC gets a team a new arena will be needed.
I don’t think so. I think TM Center is in fine shape. Was just there for the Big 12 tournament last month and thought it looked as good as any arena I’ve been to for NBA.
Think 10-25 years from now when we may get a team. Plus you may as well renovate before the team starts instead of a few years after while dealing around their schedule
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:40 am
In 10 or 15 years, even if it happens then, it will be a different story.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It’s not gonna be 10- 25 years. If we don’t have a team within the next 10 years we’re never getting one and it’ll be NHL we get. I’ve done extensive research on this topic for years, more than any other KC related ordeal (refer to page 1 of this thread for details).

If they take care of it and do minor renovations over the years. T-Mobile Center will be fine. It’s in perfectly good condition inside and out. Also the draw the TMC for the NBA is the location.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:16 pm It’s not gonna be 10- 25 years. If we don’t have a team within the next 10 years we’re never getting one and it’ll be NHL we get. I’ve done extensive research on this topic for years, more than any other KC related ordeal (refer to page 1 of this thread for details).

If they take care of it and do minor renovations over the years. T-Mobile Center will be fine. It’s in perfectly good condition inside and out. Also the draw the TMC for the NBA is the location.
I agree wholeheartedly. In 5-10+ years other metros are outgrowing KC so fast that many will be in a position then to support their first pro team. If KC doesn't get a team soon we're ass out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Probably the only way KC gets NBA/NHL is if an outsider willing billionaire specifically wants it in KC and not elsewhere.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:33 pm Probably the only way KC gets NBA/NHL is if an outsider willing billionaire specifically wants it in KC and not elsewhere.
I've been saying outside billionaire for a while now, everyone keeps focusing too much on local billionaires. We have to get NBA expansion done here, then we're going to be the best market for a team remaining, fairly easily. At that point we just need one of the smaller markets to sell and I can't imagine it going anywhere else. Every other similar city either has a team too close, an NHL team, or no venue.

I think what will get it done is Mahomes leading an ownership group of investors from all over.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:28 am I'm sure countless studies have been done and if NBA were to be profitable howcome a group hasn't came forward?
Obligated to leases on the stadiums. Or in the case of New Orleans, owner refuses to sell it till she dies. Best bet may be the Memphis lease that opens in 2027. That guy is willing to sell or relocate.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:51 pm
Goonies wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:28 am I'm sure countless studies have been done and if NBA were to be profitable howcome a group hasn't came forward?
Obligated to leases on the stadiums. Or in the case of New Orleans, owner refuses to sell it till she dies. Best bet may be the Memphis lease that opens in 2027. That guy is willing to sell or relocate.
Memphis has the 2nd best record in the NBA and a superstar in the making and they cannot sell out games
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

that's a big knock on Memphis and their appetite for sports entertainment I would say.

KC does enjoy sports and watching sports. We always have some of the highest TV viewing numbers for sporting events in across the country. I think an NBA team would do well.

I hope we continue to grow as a city/metro to have as strong as economy as possible to support things like a 3rd major tier pro franchise (I count MLS as tier 2 behind NBA, MLB, and NFL)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:37 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:51 pm
Memphis has the 2nd best record in the NBA and a superstar in the making and they cannot sell out games
True. All that will matter is how Memphis is doing 2026-27 range though when the lease is up.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://t.co/HiNPwuAp3c

An article from a Portland sports journalist claims the Portland Trail Blazers will be, “positioned for auction in the next 6-18 months.”
Bert Kolde, the vice chair of the Blazers, has been put in charge of the auction of the late Allen’s beloved NBA franchise. Kolde is said to be closely following the auction of the NFL’s Denver Broncos that began in February. Kolde’s target price for the NBA franchise: $3 billion. The Blazers were valued at $1.7 billion when Allen died.
Also says it is unlikely the team will move to Seattle or LV as NBA is expected to announce two new expansion teams, in Seattle and Las Vegas, after their media rights deal expires in 2024. Owners don’t want to cannibalize the billions of dollars in expansion fees for those cities.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:54 pm https://t.co/HiNPwuAp3c

An article from a Portland sports journalist claims the Portland Trail Blazers will be, “positioned for auction in the next 6-18 months.”
Bert Kolde, the vice chair of the Blazers, has been put in charge of the auction of the late Allen’s beloved NBA franchise. Kolde is said to be closely following the auction of the NFL’s Denver Broncos that began in February. Kolde’s target price for the NBA franchise: $3 billion. The Blazers were valued at $1.7 billion when Allen died.
Also says it is unlikely the team will move to Seattle or LV as NBA is expected to announce two new expansion teams, in Seattle and Las Vegas, after their media rights deal expires in 2024. Owners don’t want to cannibalize the billions of dollars in expansion fees for those cities.
I saw yesterday that after the media rights deal for NBA expires they're gonna expand. That would be 2025. Sounds about right.

My contention, as it was when this thread was it started on the first message, is that KC will be first in line for any relocation as soon as expansion is announced to LV & SEA. I have no doubt about that. The difficult part will actually just be finding a team that's willing to sell & move.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:25 pm
freedog wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:54 pm https://t.co/HiNPwuAp3c

I saw yesterday that after the media rights deal for NBA expires they're gonna expand. That would be 2025. Sounds about right.

My contention, as it was when this thread was it started on the first message, is that KC will be first in line for any relocation as soon as expansion is announced to LV & SEA. I have no doubt about that. The difficult part will actually just be finding a team that's willing to sell & move.
Pure fantasy
agree