Jamestown Square - W39th St

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Jamestown Square - W39th St

Post by normalthings »

Roughly 1 space per unit and a 1-1 replacement of existing spaces. I doubt the developer would building so many if not to appease the neighborhood. Dave on Twitter posted that this garage sizes pays no attention to 15 minute frequency buses or a potential streetcar extension. I am sure the neighborhood would approve of lower parking if an extension was announced or studied.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

normalthings wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:55 pm Roughly 1 space per unit and a 1-1 replacement of existing spaces. I doubt the developer would building so many if not to appease the neighborhood. Dave on Twitter posted that this garage sizes pays no attention to 15 minute frequency buses or a potential streetcar extension. I am sure the neighborhood would approve of lower parking if an extension was announced or studied.
Living in the neighborhood I'll certainly participate in the next community engagement meeting. I will try to raise points on the potential negatives of assuming that growing the residential population of Volker necessarily means a one to one increase in the number of cars to the number of units. Not viable for the neighborhood longterm in my opinion. I will also lodge my objection to the destruction of the sixplex. I wish I believed my comments would matter. The parking point will probably be at odds with the neighborhood and on the point of the sixplex I doubt the developer will change course. Diappointing but I will speak my mind. A new study on streetcar extension is likely moot on this point. Other routes besides 39th would be higher priority (Independence Ave, Linwood, ect). 15 minute frecuency busses will be an argument to make but unfortunately one that I don't see swaying enough residents.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Saving the 6plex would cut off the proposed construction over 2 lots. I also suspect there is a longer term plan to build over the houses to the west of the six plex. Doing so would take the per unit parking ratio below 1-1 but of course you don’t want to announce a plan before securing the land. It looks like Block has bought up some houses in the area too.

As for the tweet:

https://twitter.com/kclightrail/status/ ... 6544?s=21
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We need to convince developers to stop tearing down viable buildings to build new buildings, and focus instead of just building on already-vacant lots, and surface parking lots. There are plenty of those to create housing in the Metro area.

I'm uncomfortable with that 6-plex being demolished, but I'm also uncomfortable with tearing down the three single-family houses on Bell. None of them seem "blighted" to me. The one north of the 6-plex looks to be in good condition actually. All three seem to be in good enough condition for renovation if need be.

In essence, the developer is tearing down perfectly-good structures to build a new structure on those parcels.

Tearing down still viable buildings and building over them is bad for the climate. We have to stop doing that, and create housing on vacant lots where we can enhance city tax revenues as well.
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I did a quick cut and paste job using the apartment building on the NE corner of State Line and 39th Street as the model. I can't see why that building is viable financially, and a smaller footprint Jamestown Square wouldn't also be viable financially without tearing down the four structures on Bell.

Even the smaller Jamestown Square would be larger than the Stateline and 39th building.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Btw, on that block, I noticed 3947 State Line Road is for sale. It's a KCPL substation building. It appears in good condition.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3947-St ... O/5952547/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:24 pm Btw, on that block, I noticed 3947 State Line Road is for sale. It's a KCPL substation building. It appears in good condition.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3947-St ... O/5952547/
Perform some minor renovations and market it as office spaces for small start up companies
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:07 am Project is applying for incentives.
Scratch that. They are moving forward w/o incentives. Will likely change if lumber prices remain elevated
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:11 pm We need to convince developers that stop tearing down viable buildings to build new buildings, and focus instead of just building on already-vacant lots, and surface parking lots. There are plenty of those to create housing in the Metro area.

I'm uncomfortable with that 6-plex being demolished, but I'm also uncomfortable with tearing down the three single-family houses on Bell. None of them seem "blighted" to me. The one north of the 6-plex looks to be in good condition actually. All three seem to be in good enough condition for renovation if need be.

In essence, the developer is tearing down perfectly-good structures to build a new structure on those parcels.

Tearing down still viable buildings and building over them is bad for the climate. We have to stop doing that, and create housing on vacant lots where we can enhance city tax revenues as well.
The project is specifically focused on KU students and staff. The Jazz Parking lot is the largest redevelopment site in the 39th street area and the largest on the MO side within walking distance to the hospital. There is really nothing else left to build on that doesn't involve demoing existing structures. Replacing 1 house with 8-12 apartments gives the city a sizable boost in e-tax and property tax income.

The Price Brothers development has a sub 1-1 unit parking ratio. The neighborhood is requiring this project to not only hit 1-1 but also replace all exiting spaces and provide residential guest parking. All of those parking costs are going to need to be spread across more units, especially if you want to avoid using incentives. Milhaus is a pretty urban-minded developer. They will do sub 1-1 if it were not required by land owner, neighborhood, etc.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I walked around the block on Friday and there was work being done in the 3947 Stateline building. For sale sign outside indicated class A office space.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I also saw some renders from Volker neighborhood meeting, can't seem to find them now. The previously discussed six-plex will be preserved based on the most recent plan presented.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:21 pm I also saw some renders from Volker neighborhood meeting, can't seem to find them now. The previously discussed six-plex will be preserved based on the most recent plan presented.
Here they are. Not the best quality. Seems like they're going for an Artistry look on State Line.
Recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x6OWUS ... -HmGt/view
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Two tone red/black brick would be more fitting to surrounding block
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Absolutely would love for the6 plex to be saved-very KC style!
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Goonies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:52 am Anyway that 6 plex can be saved? If so I see no reason why this shouldnt be approved.
I believe it will be. The current plan shows them building around it. The one we are talking about is the red brick in the rendering of the view of Bell Street. Public input was key to this. I was heartened that there actually was a response from the developer on this.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Design altered a little bit. Mostly the colors of the brick. These come from the November 18th Volker neighborhood meeting. City Plan Commission meeting scheduled for December 21st at 9AM.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Is this one going ahead?