Jamestown Square - W39th St

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Jamestown Square - W39th St

Post by kcjak »

Parking lot behind the restaurants (Jazz, Blue Koi, etc.) will be developed into 224 apartments and 359 parking spaces. The same number of public spaces currently available will be available in the parking garage, which will be wrapped with the apartments. The developer has been working with the neighborhood (as required by the City, they repeatedly said) to address concerns, but during our neighborhood meeting I was surprised that there was no real opposition other than parking.

Parking garage will be first to be built in order to minimize disruption to businesses but will take ~9 months to complete. A small pocket of green space will separate the apartments from the restaurants. The apartments along Bell on the east will be 3-4 stories and outsides will feature balconies, and the building along State Line will be 1-2 stories taller to keep things at scale. Developer is hoping to start construction next Spring. There are some images available in a slideshow from our neighborhood meeting but I'm not good at taking screenshots and posting - info in the April meeting, and a single image available in the most recent newsletter on the neighborhood website.

https://www.volkerkcmo.org/archives
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Jamestown Square - W39th St

Post by earthling »

^Great news. Exactly what many here have been saying is needed for many years. The local biz should be satisfied with parking being the same even though disruptive for a time. And over 300 new residents on top to patronize biz. Maybe they can do garage in phases where one part can open while other half in works. Any retail space along State Line?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Wow. this is great news. very surprised there isn't more push back.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What a great project! Would love to see something like this go in where the Starbucks is
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I live in the neighborhood. Seems like this will be a good project that will add a lot of foot traffic to 39th Street. Glad there weren't many objections.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

earthling wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:40 am ^Great news. Exactly what many here have been saying is needed for many years. The local biz should be satisfied with parking being the same even though disruptive for a time. And over 300 new residents on top to patronize biz. Maybe they can do garage in phases where one part can open while other half in works. Any retail space along State Line?
No retail was planned in the proposal I saw. They are doing the project in phases, with the first phase being the garage to minimize disruption to the businesses, but residents are already pretty livid about the number of KU Med employees parking along the street in the neighborhood but there are 2 hour limits on the street (mostly enforced). Should be great for the neighborhood.

The only real opposition I heard was that some residents were upset that the 4-plex that Harry Truman owned will be torn down. The developer said Truman only owned a portion of the property as an investment and only for a few months.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The lot is massive so yeah, don't see a need to tear the existing buildings down. That's reasonable to challenge.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Do you know the address of the multifamily slated to be torn down? The sixplex at 3934 Bell seems to be the only multifamily building near the site from what I can tell on google maps.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Project is applying for incentives.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Project plan shows two houses and the “Scotford” 6-plex coming down. None of the 39th street and adjacent buildings will be touched.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

normalthings wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:13 am Project plan shows two houses and the “Scotford” 6-plex coming down.
Damn ok. This site absolutely needs to be elevated for higher use but the Scotford 6 plex is a great example of missing middle housing in a state of fine repair. Those type of buildings will never be built again. I would push back on the destruction of that building if nothing else.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Damn ok. This site absolutely needs to be elevated for higher use but the Scotford 6 plex is a great example of missing middle housing in a state of fine repair. Those type of buildings will never be built again. I would push back on the destruction of that building if nothing else.
Agree. Love this plan, it's great to see. And pleased that aesthetically, it leans modern and they've brought in Helix vs. another NSPJ top-hatted box. But it would be great to see at least the 6-plex saved.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:40 am The lot is massive so yeah, don't see a need to tear the existing buildings down. That's reasonable to challenge.
True. Allowing greater height will have to be the trade off.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Interesting. Looking forward to hearing more.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here is the footprint of the development from the Volker Neighborhood meeting video.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

rxlexi wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:23 am
Agree. Love this plan, it's great to see. And pleased that aesthetically, it leans modern and they've brought in Helix vs. another NSPJ top-hatted box. But it would be great to see at least the 6-plex saved.

This is the 6-plex building to be demolished. I don't see the point of removing this building. It appears in good condition. As mentioned, is the missing middle-type housing that we need to retain in neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.056162 ... 8192?hl=en
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The 6 plex , 3 lots to north, and the lot to the south are all owned by the developer already.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I dont see the need to take down that six-plex. That is a really nice building and we just cant afford to lose anymore. Im against it. They have plenty of room to build on
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

This is a great infill project but I too would like the six-plex saved. It’s a great transition property from the proposed multi-family project to the mainly single family residences in the area. I’ve walked by/parked in front of this property many times over the years and it’s always looked well maintained.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

5 floors along state line and 4 along Bell street. Sizable public outdoor space along the northside.