Sky and Cordish $253M project

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Sky and Cordish $253M project

Post by shinatoo »

Rabble wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:16 pm If you build a house next to a freeway you should expect freeway noise. Is the city suppose to drop everything and build a 5 block park over a freeway just because expensive housing got built next to it? Is that how it works in the suburbs?
Does the increase in property assessment outweigh the cost of the cap?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Rabble wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:16 pm If you build a house next to a freeway you should expect freeway noise. Is the city suppose to drop everything and build a 5 block park over a freeway just because expensive housing got built next to it? Is that how it works in the suburbs?
That is exactly how it works in the suburbs

https://www.google.com/search?q=sound+w ... 80&bih=724
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:07 pm
That is exactly how it works in the suburbs

https://www.google.com/search?q=sound+w ... 80&bih=724
Not to mention the highway caps and removals that have happened across the US, including STL.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Cordish would pay for a lot of it. I think you'd be surprised that a municipality can do more than one thing at once and having this amenity would be a great asset for residents all throughout DT and Crossroads.

Also, that is not how the ADA works. The ADA doesn't require a pedestrian bridge. The ADA does not require the city to build a sidewalk. The city being shitheads reneging on helping fund the river bridge is another ball game all together and not related to this park.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’m still entirely unclear how ADA relates to the park cap.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:54 pm I’m still entirely unclear how ADA relates to the park cap.
Same.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I don’t think anyone expects the city to pay for much of the cap project. Ideally, would be private money, MoDot and federal grants.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:36 pm
Cordish would pay for a lot of it.
Show me.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:04 pm
Show me.
Considering they’re investing 3/4 of a billion dollars all along this future park, why do you think they wouldn’t invest a good chunk of the 140 million cap project?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 am

Show me.
Considering they’re investing 3/4 of a billion dollars all along this future park, why do you think they wouldn’t invest a good chunk of the 140 million cap project?
Logically they should spend $0 on it until they stop being able to raise rent in future at a rate to maintain profits without the cap reducing freeway noise.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Show me.
I don't think he's doubting there is desire, just let's see the decision to invest in more concrete terms.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:54 pm I’m still entirely unclear how ADA relates to the park cap.
Maybe this is in reference to the part of the cap West of Baltimore? That section bridges over a grade change. I think a tiered portion was proposed there. The ramps would be insane.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 am

Show me.
I don't think he's doubting there is desire, just let's see the decision to invest in more concrete terms.
I understand. I know Cordish has funded the studies to see how possible and expensive the idea is, which isn't cheap. The conversations I've had with them have been consistent. It's something they want done and are willing to help pay for, but the biggest factor is getting a little help from a government grant/program to help with some of the cost.

It seems like the two biggest items for pushback locally will be:
Little or no tax dollars to be used.
Leave open or close off Walnut? Good arguments to be made on both sides of this one.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:55 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 am

Leave open or close off Walnut? Good arguments to be made on both sides of this one.
Leave it open but allow it to be closed during special events?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is no good argument for closing Walnut that doesn't exclusively mean "good for Cordish".
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I've seen no public commitment to fund the project from Cordish because there isn't a public commitment. It's all hearsay.

Funding a study is easy, especially when others chip in, but since it was facilitated by the Downtown Council there's no record of Cordish's contribution. Again, hearsay.

I know you've made comments that there have been discussions with the Crossroads, but that would mean the Crossroads Community Association and I can assure you've there have been no discussions -- in particular about closing Walnut -- that can be remotely considered binding (I'm on the board and co-chair the infrastructure committee).

You are hearing skepticism because there has been no transparency. That's very easy to resolve. Pass it on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 pm I've seen no public commitment to fund the project from Cordish because there isn't a public commitment. It's all hearsay.

Funding a study is easy, especially when others chip in, but since it was facilitated by the Downtown Council there's no record of Cordish's contribution. Again, hearsay.

I know you've made comments that there have been discussions with the Crossroads, but that would mean the Crossroads Community Association and I can assure you've there have been no discussions -- in particular about closing Walnut -- that can be remotely considered binding (I'm on the board and co-chair the infrastructure committee).

You are hearing skepticism because there has been no transparency. That's very easy to resolve. Pass it on.
ot exactly hearsay when I’ve talked to a decision maker with the last name Cordish. The study was 10’s of thousands of dollars and organized by DTC and partially funded by Cordish. This is public knowledge. Cordish is the biggest advocate for capping the loop.

I don’t recall saying that there has been any conversations between your crossroads and Cordish about the project. Did they talk to you and the CCA before the word got out about the project in your district?

I was told closing Walnut wasn’t a must but would make for a better pedestrian and park experience. Too early to go down that route and I’m sure several conversations will happen about that and other issues before a final plan is executed.

There has been no transparency at this point because it’s far too early to get bogged down with too many chefs. Being a public use project, there will be time and opportunity for plenty of input.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Midtownkid wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:53 am
Maybe this is in reference to the part of the cap West of Baltimore? That section bridges over a grade change. I think a tiered portion was proposed there. The ramps would be insane.
One of the many places in kc worthy of a funicular railway

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 pm I've seen no public commitment to fund the project from Cordish because there isn't a public commitment. It's all hearsay.

Following up here? Would like to hear your beef? Weren’t you on a downtown board with the executive director of PNL? Why don’t you pass along your own thoughts?

“Funding a study is easy” ..... lol.

I’m sincerely curious. Crossroads, River Market and PNL. Which one is the biggest TDD contributor?

Also, when was the last time you spent a dollar in PNL?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I see Cordish using the park as only a good thing. They would bring in Active programming, cleaning, security, upkeep. St. Louis's linear downtown park has an intersecting road at one point that can be closed for events. It is a good compromise.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.