Sky and Cordish $253M project

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Sky and Cordish $253M project

Post by earthling »

A pair of developers is flipping the switch on a $253 million mixed-use development spanning both sides of Main Street near the Kansas City Power & Light District.

Sky Real Estate LLC and The Cordish Cos. together are pursuing 506 apartments, 85,000 square feet of retail or office space and 830 structured parking spaces southeast and southwest of Main's intersection with Truman Road.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... d-use.html
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Sky and Cordish $253M project

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Last edited by Chris Stritzel on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

No incentives for parking.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Surface lots and dilapidated buildings begone!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

85k sqft of office needs like 300 spaces. Add 500 spaces for the 500 apartments brings you up to basically where they are at now. Cordish is just building to market demands. Article mentions the buildings will have affordable units which is good. I need renderings but trust that Cordish will do good.

Exciting times!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^So would be curious if these are 5/6 Lights as you suggest. Then what about the other indicated 5/6 sites. Hopefully these won't look pretty much the same as 2/3.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:28 pm 85k sqft of office needs like 300 spaces. Add 500 spaces for the 500 apartments brings you up to basically where they are at now. Cordish is just building to market demands. Article mentions the buildings will have affordable units which is good. I need renderings but trust that Cordish will do good.

Exciting times!
It is exciting to be sure. We'll have time to hash this out even more as time goes on, but projects receiving public incentives should be asked to help shape a market in line with city goals. One of our goals is to get people out of cars. That's all I'm saying: Build with incentives, build less parking.

But don't get me wrong, this is great. Will be VERY glad to see both of these parcels redeveloped.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And given incentive requests, public input should be more seriously considered, such as the street experience and doing something different with exterior designs, not clone Two/Three Lights. Hopefully they will look completely different, otherwise imagine the monotone view from the capped freeway park.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I am not sure what the city's true goal is with parking. Council and neighborhoods (which council lean on for CPC, etc approvals) routinely ask for more parking on projects. Maybe the stated goal is less parking but the people whose approval must be one ask for more off the stuff regularly. Not a Cordish issue but more of an annoyance I have.

The Paseo South project in Nashville has some of the same equity investor (s) and the same builder as this new Cordish proposal. I think it would look fantastic here.

Last edited by normalthings on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:03 pm This project has some of the same equity investor (s) and the same builder.

Looks nice!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:03 pm This project has some of the same equity investor (s) and the same builder.

For those who don’t know, that’s Somera Road’s Paseo South in the Gulch in Nashville
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Could the highway cap park be far off with this proposal coming to light??
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

These parking garages are frustrating me. They are massive and costly but they also fill up (induced demand I am sure). Cordish appears to be reducing parking rates and they make their garages semi-open to the public. My worry will be where they want to place the garage entrances. We absolutely can not allow 800 spaces to access main street directly. 3 Light pulls it off well so I have hope.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Good to have this one out of the bag. Cordish, JED and Sporting have established a solid relationship over the last several years. Those three working together will mean big progress for downtown with more development than just this announcement.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Give me downtown soccer and downtown cerner!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm Give me downtown soccer and downtown cerner!
Some cities build new stadiums in order to be a World Cup city. ;)

It’s probably too early for Sporting to abandon their current stadium unless there’s a perfect fit for someone to take it over.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice. That aught to bust up the "glass wall" a bit. I guess this means Cordish is pretty serious about KC and that they will more than likely build Four Light behind the theater as well. I kind of thought after 3 Light, they would peter out. Guess I was wrong.

If they build the garages above ground and the 85k sq ft of retail, both those buildings will be over 25 floors.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm Give me downtown soccer and downtown cerner!
Some cities build new stadiums in order to be a World Cup city. ;)

It’s probably too early for Sporting to abandon their current stadium unless there’s a perfect fit for someone to take it over.
I have never really liked the east village site for a baseball stadium, but it would sure be perfect for a soccer stadium.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:59 pm Nice. That aught to bust up the "glass wall" a bit. I guess this means Cordish is pretty serious about KC and that they will more than likely build Four Light behind the theater as well. I kind of thought after 3 Light, they would peter out. Guess I was wrong.

If they build the garages above ground and the 85k sq ft of retail, both those buildings will be over 25 floors.
This move across the interstate into the crossroads has been in the works for sometime. They’ll likely stick with the “light” naming scheme and whenever they build behind the theatre, it will be 5L or 6,7 or 8L. 4L will be at the corner of 14th and Main.

Ive been told they’re very committed to KC and never intend on selling or moving out of the market. Being a private company is an advantage here as well.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if some of the planned residential shifts to office depending on the relationship and hopes that Cerner would finally have a legit downtown presence.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm
Passers-by soon will see workers set up two construction cranes in the Kansas City Power & Light District — "a sign of new growth and energy Downtown, following an incredibly challenging year," Nick Benjamin, the district's executive director and Cordish's managing director of multifamily development, said in a Wednesday release.
Did Cordish get it wrong or is Strata also moving forward or?
This is taken from the 3 Light thread.

I think the dots have been connected with the cranes comment. Or maybe they haven't, but I thought that two cranes for 3 Light just didn't make sense. And since the buildings in this thread have the hopes of starting next year, maybe the dots were connected.