Sky and Cordish $253M project

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Sky and Cordish $253M project

Post by atticus23 »

Thanks guys!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:56 pm This is the project that's filling in on the other side of the future cap, right?

Always thought for years that parking lot at that hotel on Main/Truman needed to go away. Looked really bad.

I think they announced this early only because that ordinance forced everyone to file their future plans.
Correct.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:56 pm This is the project that's filling in on the other side of the future cap, right?

Always thought for years that parking lot at that hotel on Main/Truman needed to go away. Looked really bad.
There’s no parking lot for a hotel at Main and Truman..

The south side lots one is for the office building, the other for the auto repair place.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

There is a sink hole forming in that parking lot where it meets the sidewalk next to mainstreet. I hope that the streetcar does not get undermined.

Interested to see if 4 Light advances soon as we were promised.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:50 pm There is a sink hole forming in that parking lot where it meets the sidewalk next to mainstreet. I hope that the streetcar does not get undermined.

Interested to see if 4 Light advances soon as we were promised.
It is probably from a vaulted sidewalk not properly filled in.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

More details. Anyone have renderings?
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -site.html
To either side of Main Street, the project site has the potential to support at least 20 stories of construction, said Nick Benjamin, The Cordish Cos.' vice president of development and executive director of the Power & Light District, in June.

Monthly rent for the planned apartments is expected to range from $1,200 for studios, averaging 375 square feet, to $3,500 for penthouse units, around 1,300 square feet.

A project timeline denotes a possible construction start in the third or fourth quarter of 2022. The project would be complete 2025 and 2026.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Completed just in time for the World Cup! :D
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:14 pm More details. Anyone have renderings?
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -site.html
To either side of Main Street, the project site has the potential to support at least 20 stories of construction, said Nick Benjamin, The Cordish Cos.' vice president of development and executive director of the Power & Light District, in June.

Monthly rent for the planned apartments is expected to range from $1,200 for studios, averaging 375 square feet, to $3,500 for penthouse units, around 1,300 square feet.

A project timeline denotes a possible construction start in the third or fourth quarter of 2022. The project would be complete 2025 and 2026.
No renderings that I've been able to find. Doesn't seem like too much information though. The height is about it. I think the timeline was mentioned before and the rents/unit sizes were surely mentioned.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

So Cordish is going to have four towers and one renovation going at once? Something seems off
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:51 pm So Cordish is going to have four towers and one renovation going at once? Something seems off
What’s the fourth tower
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:51 pm So Cordish is going to have four towers and one renovation going at once? Something seems off
What’s the fourth tower
You have the two planned by Cordish and Sky, 3 Light, and it was mentioned on this forum that 4 Light could begin while 3 is underway. So I guess that’s the 4
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Exactly
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:29 am
kenrbnj wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 am Let's all be cautiously optimistic: The key to this is whether the financing will fall into-place. Conjecture: Cordish is already exposed with the #3 development. Hence the JV approach to this development.

Whatever the case, it is good news. Cordish has been moving their product successfully. They have confidence and experience. Interest rates remain low.

500+ units plus a parking and a retail component? The "magic 350'" mark seems attainable with at least one of the structures.

The intangible is the potential work force brought into the area, together with the removal of office product. Perhaps spec office space is going to have it's time?
Sporting KC had been working on an apartment project for a while. I look at this as SKC getting Cordish on board to help them bring their project to life. Je Dunn has invested in big new construction projects in the hot sunbelt cities but not much here in KC. Their involvement shows a belief this market will heat up

https://jedunncapitalpartners.com/paget
What's the connection with the Sporting apartment? Is it supposed to be Sporting themed or something?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sporting KC had been working on developing an apartment building. No, I don’t think it is soccer themed.they just owned the land
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:30 am Sporting KC had been working on developing an apartment building. No, I don’t think it is soccer themed.they just owned the land
Sporting has never owned the land. It's owned by a company controlled by some of the owners of Sporting. It has more to do with Fan360.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think they announced this early only because that ordinance forced everyone to file their future plans.
I finally figured out the name, the hotel parking lot I was referring to here was the Courtyard/Residence Inn one that stands out badly and I wish to be gone more than most surface lots.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Maybe that parking garage can be added onto or something. Seems like a waste to bulldoze a new garage with a successful business tenant
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:57 pm

I finally figured out the name, the hotel parking lot I was referring to here was the Courtyard/Residence Inn one that stands out badly and I wish to be gone more than most surface lots.
The hotel doesn't own a parking lot, they built a garage.

This is in it
https://www.streetcargrille.com/
normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:19 pm Maybe that parking garage can be added onto or something. Seems like a waste to bulldoze a new garage with a successful business tenant
Why would the hotel sell it's parking so it could be bulldozed?

Why would the owner of one building connect to a garage owned by a different building?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Parcel Viewer updated to Cordish Ownership
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This is the most underrated exciting project on the horizon