Sky and Cordish $253M project

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Sky and Cordish $253M project

Post by FangKC »

KC Parks is not known for good programming of city parks -- even those downtown.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

It would not be a surprise if the pedestrian section of the bridges are given a streetscape to encourage the foot traffic.

..It is a less expensive option than a full-up capping of the expressway.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kenrbnj wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:45 am It would not be a surprise if the pedestrian section of the bridges are given a streetscape to encourage the foot traffic.

..It is a less expensive option than a full-up capping of the expressway.
Agreed. The installation of glass across the entire length of Grand's bridge over 670 was major improvement. Nothing to stop anyone from adding planters make the space even more palatable. Grand is a brand-new bridge and can handle the added weight.

When Main was rebuilt the sidewalks were widened.

Baltimore over 670 will be rebuilt soon.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I suspect the western building in this project to be taller than the east. If I am Cordish, I want to preserve the views from 3 Light as much as possible.

It would be nice if Cordish mixed up the facade design or even glazing colors significantly.

H&R Block's green hues will soon be blocked from many angles of our skyline. Might I suggest this project go with a nice green glazing?

or teal

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Or not all glass. I read last week that developers in NYC are moving away from the all-glass wall towers.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:58 pm Or not all glass. I read last week that developers in NYC are moving away from the all-glass wall towers.
Yes, I also liked mixed materials. Its just if they must use glass, please pick a color and style that doesn't look like Loews, 1-3 Light, WR.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't see Cordish moving away from glass.

I do think they should stop the light branding in the crossroads and move to a new design look.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:22 am I don't see Cordish moving away from glass.

I do think they should stop the light branding in the crossroads and move to a new design look.
If they help fund the cap over the park, having buildings like Five and Six Light on the other side of it from Two to Four Light would make complete sense. It would be a unified development fronting a common public amenity
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This new midrise in Lincoln Nebraska would be a good design
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

show a sense of humor, make just one of these brutalist and call it oneDARK and i will never ever ever complain about the other eighteen lights.

also, if we assume the existence of a oneDARK then the only reason not to put oneDARK in the crossroads is if it's going to be subterranean infill of the south loop, which.... i assume we can all get one hundred percent behind.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

wahoowa wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:52 am show a sense of humor, make just one of these brutalist and call it oneDARK and i will never ever ever complain about the other eighteen lights.

also, if we assume the existence of a oneDARK then the only reason not to put oneDARK in the crossroads is if it's going to be subterranean infill of the south loop, which.... i assume we can all get one hundred percent behind.
This post is an inspiration.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

grovester wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:43 pm
wahoowa wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:52 am show a sense of humor, make just one of these brutalist and call it oneDARK and i will never ever ever complain about the other eighteen lights.

This post is an inspiration.
It’s exquisite
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cerner office downtown would be great. They struggle with catching and retaining quality coastal talent because of their suburban focus.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

This is great!

I'd also suggest calling the buildings on the crossroads side "CrossLight". I'm joking of course.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The land purchase contract had a 6/1 closing date. No indication on the county website of a sale yet
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Biz Journal reporting that each building will be 20+ floors
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Any updates on this project? I find it to be one of the more interesting proposals, but it strangely reminds me of “the wellington(?)” on the north side of the loop that was cancelled years ago.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I think this project is a ways off.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think it was announced a bit earlier and more than they expected.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This is the project that's filling in on the other side of the future cap, right?

Always thought for years that parking lot at that hotel on Main/Truman needed to go away. Looked really bad.

I think they announced this early only because that ordinance forced everyone to file their future plans.