Infrastructure Stimulus

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Infrastructure Stimulus

Post by cityscape »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm I would love to settle for a $225k house, alas, almost everything on the market is going fast, gets extreme bids out of nowhere, & almost everyone is waiving inspections & more just to be able to buy. But as you said, facts that you personally know hit harder than studies & statistics, so whatever. I guess I'm the fool for struggling to find work in an awful economy & never being able to buy home/land.
Don't give up. I don't know your current situation, but I will say buying your first home takes real sacrifice for the average American. I moved into an apartment with 2 other friends to reduce my living expenses for two years (one of which I didn't really get along with). Ate mostly PBJ sandwiches and rarely went out. Even remember having a huge argument about not wanting to contribute to TIVO (yes, I'm dating myself) with my roommates because I was trying to save every dollar for a house. After 2 years, I had saved enough to put a down payment on a 3 bedroom/1 bath house in PV. That was a stretch for me, but I knew that we could do so because my fiance and I had been living off a reduced budget for two years. Flash forward several years and I sold the house in PV for almost double what I paid for it. Used that money to buy a bigger house and invest in other areas. I will say there were times when I looked at friends or others on TV and kept thinking "how in the world can they afford that? What am I doing wrong?". Reality is many of them were living beyond their means and it shows now. Others had significant family help, which most of us don't have the privilege of seeking. I think my point here is that getting to your first house really is one of the hardest parts. Best of luck to you and don't give up. Owning your first home is one of the best feelings and if done properly will set you up for success later in life.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

cityscape wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:39 am
TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm I would love to settle for a $225k house, alas, almost everything on the market is going fast, gets extreme bids out of nowhere, & almost everyone is waiving inspections & more just to be able to buy. But as you said, facts that you personally know hit harder than studies & statistics, so whatever. I guess I'm the fool for struggling to find work in an awful economy & never being able to buy home/land.
Don't give up. I don't know your current situation, but I will say buying your first home takes real sacrifice for the average American. I moved into an apartment with 2 other friends to reduce my living expenses for two years (one of which I didn't really get along with). Ate mostly PBJ sandwiches and rarely went out. Even remember having a huge argument about not wanting to contribute to TIVO (yes, I'm dating myself) with my roommates because I was trying to save every dollar for a house. After 2 years, I had saved enough to put a down payment on a 3 bedroom/1 bath house in PV. That was a stretch for me, but I knew that we could do so because my fiance and I had been living off a reduced budget for two years. Flash forward several years and I sold the house in PV for almost double what I paid for it. Used that money to buy a bigger house and invest in other areas. I will say there were times when I looked at friends or others on TV and kept thinking "how in the world can they afford that? What am I doing wrong?". Reality is many of them were living beyond their means and it shows now. Others had significant family help, which most of us don't have the privilege of seeking. I think my point here is that getting to your first house really is one of the hardest parts. Best of luck to you and don't give up. Owning your first home is one of the best feelings and if done properly will set you up for success later in life.
Simply put beggars can't be choosers.. and make wise choices. We each have brains, use them. Every member of my family has relocated around the Kansas City area within the past year and they have each not had a single problem finding a property that fit their budget and needs. Did they cover all of their wants, probably not. But I know for a fact that one of them only spent $130,000 on a pretty awesome home. Was it built in 2018, 19, or 20? No. Is it decrepit? No. It is a normal house built in the early 80s. Those are the kinds of things you have to settle for if you want to actually buy within your means. If you can accept that, then it's super easy. I've purchased two more properties within the last 2 years each for under $200,000, and each is extremely modern, nice, and in great areas. It's not rocket science, you just have to make what you want happen. And that means you can't be lazy and wait around for something to fall into your lap.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

More than $350B in federal recovery cash starts rolling out to states, cities, counties
Missouri will receive $2.7 billion in federal funding, with another $2.5 billion in direct aid for counties and the state’s 15 largest cities. The biggest chunks of that funding are $439.6 million for St. Louis and $194.7 million for Kansas City.
Parson’s office confirmed later in the day that he will not propose a spending plan for the $2.7 billion in federal funds that make up the state’s portion until 2022.
The White House fact sheet listed seven categories of uses for the state and local stimulus dollars:

Services and programs to contain and mitigate the spread of COVID-19;
Addressing negative economic impacts caused by the public health emergency, including aid to families; recovery support for businesses and industries; and rehiring public sector staff;
Addressing disproportionate public health and economic impacts of the crisis on the hardest-hit communities, including educational disparities;
Increasing pay for essential workers, such as workers at nursing homes, child care centers and grocery stores;
Rebuilding water and sewer infrastructure;
Expanding broadband infrastructure;
Replacing lost public sector revenue, to provide government services to the extent of the reduction in revenue experienced due to the pandemic.
https://missouriindependent.com/2021/05 ... -counties/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:17 pm Let's talk about broadband and getting rid of lead pipes!
It's not only lead pipes that's the problem.

Kansas State to study cost-effective ways cities can reduce exposure to lead in soil
The research will focus on vacant lots and residential sites in Kansas City
A new study being conducted by Kansas State University researchers is looking at ways to reduce the risk of exposure to lead in soil in the hopes of finding affordable methods that could be replicated around the country.
“I came to know that the elevated blood lead levels in children in [the] urban core in Kansas City is about nine times higher than the national average,” Hettiarachchi said. “And then nearly 50% of the parcels they tested, tested soil lead concentrations greater than 400 parts per million.”
https://missouriindependent.com/2022/03 ... d-in-soil/