New County Jail

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New County Jail

Post by FangKC »

East Kansas City trailer park selected as new home for Jackson County Detention Center

https://www.kmbc.com/article/east-kansa ... r/36999254
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Hard to believe there is no other viable (or vacant) land between downtown and Independence that didn't displace lower income residents from their homes. And $70,000+ per acre?!?!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcjak wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:14 pm Hard to believe there is no other viable (or vacant) land between downtown and Independence that didn't displace lower income residents from their homes. And $70,000+ per acre?!?!
That mobile home park is a terrible use of the land. Look at it on google. It's over 80% vacant. That trailer park is probably about to close anyway. No way can those few homes sustain the maintenance of all those streets etc. This actually seems like a good location for the county jail.

However, I hope they can find a way to help those that are left at the park relocate. As much as they are paying for the land, there should be some money to help the families relocate or even build a much smaller trailer park nearby to house what's left of the trailer homes.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcjak wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:14 pm Hard to believe there is no other viable (or vacant) land between downtown and Independence that didn't displace lower income residents from their homes. And $70,000+ per acre?!?!
90k is about what you pay for a standard 1/4 acre lot in a suburban development. So it's probably a little high but not outrageous. Little high because no one else is going to make an offer on that land.

100 family's at 10 trailers per acre would only take up 10 to 15 acres. You would think they could find space for them or move them a half mile up the hill to La Casita.

I only count about 50 homes in Heartland from the satellite view. Not sure where they are getting 100 families.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't get why they aren't building it on land the County already owns at Blue Ridge Cutoff and Raytown Road. There's a bus stop there, and it's not in a flood plain.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0383296 ... a=!3m1!1e3

What do you bet they build this new jail complex, and once it's done we have a freak weather event and it all gets flooded out?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCBJ says only 100 people live there, not 100 families and:

"People living at Heart Mobile Village will be offered compensation packages to move. The county said it has set aside $240,000 in relocation costs and plans to give $5,000 to residents to cover other expenses."

5k in moving expenses is a lot for somebody that lives in a trailer. Plus they have the 240k to hand out.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:40 pm KCBJ says only 100 people live there, not 100 families and:

"People living at Heart Mobile Village will be offered compensation packages to move. The county said it has set aside $240,000 in relocation costs and plans to give $5,000 to residents to cover other expenses."

5k in moving expenses is a lot for somebody that lives in a trailer. Plus they have the 240k to hand out.
5k ain't much if you are having to move the trailer.

Edit: I googled it. it's about 5k for under 100 miles.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:22 pm I don't get why they aren't building it on land the County already owns at Blue Ridge Cutoff and Raytown Road. There's a bus stop there, and it's not in a flood plain.

What do you bet they build this new jail complex, and once it's done we have a freak weather event and it all gets flooded out?
Don't be naïve.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if anyone said that about the Country Club Plaza before it was flooded during a freak storm event.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:34 am
FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:22 pm I don't get why they aren't building it on land the County already owns at Blue Ridge Cutoff and Raytown Road. There's a bus stop there, and it's not in a flood plain.

Don't be naïve.
Is this a joke or are you seriously questioning why they didn’t convert the stadium complex into a jail
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Not the stadium complex. There is land to the southeast of the stadium that the county owns along Blue Ridge Cutoff.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Depending upon the ages of those trailers -and I bet most of them are way over 30 years old - there is a very good chance that no jurisdiction’s codes will allow them to be reset. The only place they’re going is to scrap. Any money given for moving will probably wind up being for personal items only.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

missingkc wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:11 am Depending upon the ages of those trailers -and I bet most of them are way over 30 years old - there is a very good chance that no jurisdiction’s codes will allow them to be reset. The only place they’re going is to scrap. Any money given for moving will probably wind up being for personal items only.
There's some sites that claim upwards of 80% of mobile/manufactured homes never move. If you figure they're occupied for their affordability paying $8-10k or more to move one isn't realistic even in the first year
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 am
missingkc wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:11 am Depending upon the ages of those trailers -and I bet most of them are way over 30 years old - there is a very good chance that no jurisdiction’s codes will allow them to be reset. The only place they’re going is to scrap. Any money given for moving will probably wind up being for personal items only.
There's some sites that claim upwards of 80% of mobile/manufactured homes never move. If you figure they're occupied for their affordability paying $8-10k or more to move one isn't realistic even in the first year
Agreed, see my post on the previous page. Mobile homes are dangerous, terrible investments, costly & break often if they are ever moved. They are also sold often using preditory practices due to the fact rentors often have bad credit and financial records.

Mobile Homes: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:01 pm
flyingember wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 am
Agreed, see my post on the previous page. Mobile homes are dangerous, terrible investments, costly & break often if they are ever moved. They are also sold often using preditory practices due to the fact rentors often have bad credit and financial records.

Mobile Homes: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU
Interesting topic that I have been reading about recently.

Mobile Homes refer to the early industry where there was no construction regulation (40-50 years ago). The proper term is "manufactured housing." (I have been corrected multiple times). Everything made today is built to set codes and you can get a bank loan for. Can be a good value as long as you are buying the land out right. Some of the units are pretty nice and they can be set on permanent foundations. Great for urban infill!

I am sure that Heartland is mostly mobile homes with little value.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I've forgotten the details, but this area is already shutting down. The father or someone that owned it died and the current owners want out. They're not leasing any more space and haven't for awhile.

Don't quote me on those exact details but it's something like that.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Glad someone noticed this. It's in the Blue River floodplain. While the Blue River flood risk is somewhat mitigated by channel straightening, there are no reservoirs in the Big Blue River basin to provide any storage of excess floodwaters so a big event could still put the entire complex under water. It's the upstream reservoirs along the Missouri River along with an extensive dike system that allows GM to operate in Fairfax at low risk and keeps both the Missouri floodplain relatively free of major flood events (Tuttle Creek, Perry Reservoirs et al lower the risk on the Kansas River floodplain).

The current trailer park is not very densely populated. Use the Browse Street View Function on the Google Map below.

Map with terrain:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Heart ... 82!5m1!1e4
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FEMA posts flood plain maps that are actually functional for this purpose

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search?Addr ... ultsanchor

The land between the river and the mobile home park is outside the formal flood plain. The fix is simple, bring dirt and rock in and raise the land up to the same elevation.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There has been flooding in the Blue River valley before.

https://kchistory.org/index/water-bogs- ... ffset%5D=0

Hauling in fill dirt is an expensive endeavor.

Why not build outside a flood plain on land the county already owns?

I still think it's foolish.

Not fun to have this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If86Mo__ySU
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Just curious. What happens to the old jail building DT KC? That's a fairly substantial building that is not all that old but could be difficult to repurpose.