Are the search settings tweakable?

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
scooterj
Ambassador

Are the search settings tweakable?

Post by scooterj »

Before I posted a new topic about 311 a few minutes ago I did a search to see if there was an existing thread I could tack my comment on to. I got the following error searching for "311". Is it possible to tweak the search settings to allow for search terms shorter than 4 characters?
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: 311.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 4 characters and must not contain more than 84 characters excluding wildcards.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Are the search settings tweakable?

Post by langosta »

search rarely works for me. I get stuck on a loading screen after 2-3 queries.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Bump to the initial ask here. Hard to search for addresses / acronyms when terms require 4 characters.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The minimum threshold for a search term to be indexed is four characters. Reducing that to three would dramatically increase the size of the index, but maybe we can try it. I'm in the process of migrating the forum to new hosting, and maybe in the new location I can try allowing that setting and see how it affects storage utilization and overall system resource use. The host we're moving to has much better realtime graphing anyway.