2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by langosta »

kboish wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:25 pm Apparently the city council may fire the city manager today. In closed session right now
What is the reason given?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Reason given:
The complaints range from items being taken out of the budget from ordinances passed, issues with hiring practices in the Kansas City Fire Department, and other general "micromanagement."
Nothing particularly bad has been listed. Wonder what exactly they mean?

I feel like I hear some push back by staff over how things are getting done now - they get no sympathy from me. There are still a lot of people, even in high up positions, at the city who do not support or understand urbanism, downtown's revival, or transit.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The African American councilpeople were angry when Platt was hired. They wanted an AA candidate and I have no reason to believe that's not the push now. By bringing this resolution, I think they think it will push Platt out and that he'll start looking for a new position. I don't really think there are enough votes to oust him, but sometimes just the fear of being fired can cause someone to move on. It's a bad look. If Robinson wants him out, she can run for mayor and oust him herself. I think it's the only way, besides him finding another job out of frustration, that he leaves.

I think noise like this will get more aggressive as the city continues to change. The Hispanic population is growing and you could see it pass AA in the next decade as that population moves to the suburbs. We've tried to carve out council districts to keep two majority AA. That is likely unsustainable. You'll see changes in the public school system too. Unfortunately, I think we're likely headed for some major conflict the more the city changes.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

I do have some concerns with some of the things he's done however they seem to be minor. Overall I think he's done a terrific job actually prefer Platt over Schuttle. Things like fixing streets & snow removal have really improved with him.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:09 pm The African American councilpeople were angry when Platt was hired. They wanted an AA candidate and I have no reason to believe that's not the push now. By bringing this resolution, I think they think it will push Platt out and that he'll start looking for a new position. I don't really think there are enough votes to oust him, but sometimes just the fear of being fired can cause someone to move on. It's a bad look. If Robinson wants him out, she can run for mayor and oust him herself. I think it's the only way, besides him finding another job out of frustration, that he leaves.

I think noise like this will get more aggressive as the city continues to change. The Hispanic population is growing and you could see it pass AA in the next decade as that population moves to the suburbs. We've tried to carve out council districts to keep two majority AA. That is likely unsustainable. You'll see changes in the public school system too. Unfortunately, I think we're likely headed for some major conflict the more the city changes.
Striking while the irons hot while folks are still rightfully upset about the racist Northland shooting. Seems like alot of local politicians are exploiting that tragedy.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Firing Platt would be detrimental to the city. More good news has occurred with him at the helm than we've had in the previous 30 years. Local politicians need to stop setting this city back because of their personal vendettas. I can't believe we're even having this discussion. The only thing I've found while reading the complaints about flat is that he has a "get it done" attitude, and the mountain of lazy ass folks the city employs can't stand that.

Personally, I hate paying folks to be a bunch of mediocre, worthless contributors to a bloated bureaucracy. If you can't perform, leave. It's that simple. Stop standing in the way of progress and development.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

This is the clown the board is pushing for? Yikes.

https://twitter.com/mkelleykc/status/16 ... 5373574145
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Metro wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:52 pm This is the clown the board is pushing for? Yikes.

Just remember, there’s always more to a person than a tweet. You can’t judge someone based off a tweet. His policies are ones quite a few on this board like and agree with. And from what I’ve heard, he’s also very nice in person. Those sorts of values are what people appreciate.

I have my own opinions on each candidate, but I’m not going to really talk about them here because I’m not registered to vote in KC. But I do have my preferred candidates if I was registered.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Metro wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:52 pm This is the clown the board is pushing for? Yikes.

And what exactly is clownish about that thread? I'd think twice about knocking on random doors after what just happened and I'm fortunate to not be perceived as more threatening due to the color of my skin.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:10 pm

And what exactly is clownish about that thread? I'd think twice about knocking on random doors after what just happened and I'm fortunate to not be perceived as more threatening due to the color of my skin.
Yet if someone from the burbs says they won't come to the city because it's dangerous this board would crawl up their ass even though violence in the city is a much more common occurrence than what happened in NKC.

We already have one clueless council member in Bunch we don't need another with Kelley. His comments about people shouldn't be pulled over on 4:20 for driving high because of racism was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen a politician tweet. His supporters have learned absolutely nothing from 2020.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Any predictions for what happens on Tuesday?

I'm pretty sure Melissa Patterson-Hazley and Nathan Willet are going to be the newest council members. I'm unsure about French vs Manley, Rea vs Short, Curls vs Kelley, and Duncan vs Tarwater. If the results of the primary carry over, then French, Rea, Curls and Tarwater are the winners.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

I'm voting against everyone the KC Tennants suggests voting for. Getting corrupt vibes from that organization.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

The alternatives are a bunch of candidates supported by a parking lot mogul.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Reddit post. Wash, rinse, repeat.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

KC_Ari wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:26 pm The alternatives are a bunch of candidates supported by a parking lot mogul.
and stealth MAGA candidates, in non partisan elections you have to look at endorsements, Tarwater seems Manchinish, he was a consistent vote against mask mandates in the JACKCO legislature
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:50 pm and stealth MAGA candidates, in non partisan elections you have to look at endorsements, Tarwater seems Manchinish, he was a consistent vote against mask mandates in the JACKCO legislature
We’re still voting based on mask mandates?! He’s not likely to vote against a development project or money to bring business to the city. I’d take a roads and bridges Republican over a KC Tenants anti-everything candidate any day.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Felt like there was almost no momentum for this today. Will be easy for small groups of highly motivated persons to impact this election
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:35 pm Felt like there was almost no momentum for this today. Will be easy for small groups of highly motivated persons to impact this election
That's good for Justin Short then. He needed that.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Initial 7:30pm results in Clay are out and pro short and anti KC tenants. Bough -Sasse neck n neck. Lucas not doing as well as I would have expected

7:50 Ellington loosing wide and short continues to power through.