2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yeah I'd say were def going to come out of tonight with a MUCH better council...
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:05 pm Yeah I'd say were def going to come out of tonight with a MUCH better council...
If clay’s 40% holds, I will believe that a legitimate challenger could have beaten Lucas.

Edit: ratio has shifted
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Oh wtf. Short just collapsed and now even French is barely hanging on..oh no..
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:18 pm Oh wtf. Short just collapsed and now even French is barely hanging on..oh no..
Results show Manley is ahead. Duncan way ahead in 6th District. Michael Kelley behind Darrel Curls.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:18 pm Oh wtf. Short just collapsed and now even French is barely hanging on..oh no..
Both basically in a dead heat. French HAS to win! It’s really the only race I care about.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:48 pm
Both basically in a dead heat. French HAS to win! It’s really the only race I care about.
Short & French are the only ones I really care about.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Damn. It's over for Short. At this point the best hope is Lindsay French can drag across the finish line. 87% in...if she holds we'll still be looking at a much better council.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Ellington, gone. French & Rogers big upgrades. Rea & Curls will be fine. Only wild card really is Duncan.

Overall, much better it seems.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Wtf happened to Short? Or should I say wtf happened to James? He was a really popular mayor his endorsement didnt seem to help Short nor did it help Jolie when she ran for mayor.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Generally, I'm pleased with the result. Every candidate I wanted to win, did so (save for Justin Short).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Metro wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:15 pm Wtf happened to Short? Or should I say wtf happened to James? He was a really popular mayor his endorsement didnt seem to help Short nor did it help Jolie when she ran for mayor.
Experience. Shorts weakness against Rea was a fairly weak resume, and it might not be wrong. Rea has a fairly strong resume of both political and law background. As much as I probably agree with candidates like Bunch and Mike Kelley, their inexperience really shows. They talk and promote social issues in stead of doing some of the hard work this city really needs. They cave to KC Tenants because they lead with emotions instead of strength and power. They’re unpolished when they speak and not cutthroat consensus builders. As much as I want walkability and bike lanes, this city needs some negotiators, arm twisters, business closers. Sorry to say for Justin, but cruise ship entertainer probably isn’t the background needed.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Justin needs to get elected as a neighborhood president, and maybe serve on some city boards first.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Justin spoke at our neighborhood meeting a while back and his shpeel reminded me of someone running for high school student council.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Willet and Rea I found advertising very strong versus their opponents. Signs, mailers, neighborhood meetings etc. Plus Rea's work as a prosecutor plays well in Northland. While I agreed w Shorts stances more (housing and transit should be some of the top priorities) I understand why Rea won.

His whole platform was to reinstate KC NoVa seemed kind of one-dimensional tbh.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:17 pm Willet and Rea I found advertising very strong versus their opponents. Signs, mailers, neighborhood meetings etc. Plus Rea's work as a prosecutor plays well in Northland. While I agreed w Shorts stances more (housing and transit should be some of the top priorities) I understand why Rea won.

His whole platform was to reinstate KC NoVa seemed kind of one-dimensional tbh.
What happened with NoVa? Didn't it work really well in 2014 and fell off since?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Ryana Park-Shaw chosen as Mayor Pro Tem by Lucas. East side districts getting a lot of representation for being the smallest number of residents per district and losing at a rapid pace.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:28 pm Ryana Park-Shaw chosen as Mayor Pro Tem by Lucas. East side districts getting a lot of representation for being the smallest number of residents per district and losing at a rapid pace.
Uh, okay. Does that mean your Pro Tem Choice would always be from the Northland or greater downtown? Nothing else is growing in KCMO...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

What does the mayor pro-tem do other than fill in when the mayor is out?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sec. 2-48. - Mayor pro tempore.
(a)Job responsibilities. The mayor pro tempore shall have the following job responsibilities:

(1)Preside over legislative and business session in the absence of the mayor.
(2)Manage the council office including the staff, budget, purchasing and office assignments, but take only an advisory role regarding the staff and offices of individual councilmembers.
(3)Suggest guidelines for council office ethics and office procedures training for city council aides.
(4)Approve travel expense requests for city council members prior to departure, subject to any appeal to the municipal officers and officials ethics commission for a waiver of rules.
(5)Administer the legislative account.
(6)Review and suggest updates to the standing rules at the beginning of his/her term as mayor pro tempore.

(b)Compensation. The compensation of the acting mayor of the city, during the absence of the mayor from the city or when for any cause the mayor is unable to perform the mayor's official duties, is hereby fixed at the sum of $25.00 for each and every day such acting mayor shall perform the official duties of mayor. Such compensation shall be paid in the same manner and at the same time as employees of the city are now paid.

(Admin. Code 1967, § A2.8; Ord. No. 990306, § 1, 3-25-99; Ord. No. 130249 , § 3, 5-30-13; Ord. No. 140093 , § 1, 2-20-14)