2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by chaglang »

Sure. But it’s not like he can point at things and they just happen. Anecdata, but I’ve noticed that the road striping throughout the city is in terrible condition. That’s all in PW’s court.
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by grovester »

He's maneuvered himself through some pretty hairy situations, gotta give credit where due, regardless if you agree on his stance.

Solid political chops.
User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 16842
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by FangKC »

I think calling him the darling of the Democratic Party is an overstatement.
ericwyner
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:37 pm

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by ericwyner »

Goonies wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:34 pm I'm surprised Lucas doesn't have a challenger. He's accomplished basically nothing.
who'd challenge him?
User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 19390
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by DaveKCMO »

Has anyone seen any polling data that says he's vulnerable or unpopular?
User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:37 pm Has anyone seen any polling data that says he's vulnerable or unpopular?
Do Facebook comments count? :lol: but in all seriousness, I don’t know any group who’s done polling recently
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7489
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:15 pm
grovester wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:07 pm He's maneuvered himself through some pretty hairy situations, gotta give credit where due, regardless if you agree on his stance.

Solid political chops.
Examples please? He's seemed to have taken both sides on the police thing, lied about signing off on the feds coming here, his road rehab program has seemed to hit a snag, and been all over the place on development. I get that he's became the darling of the Democrat party but if he runs for anything other than congress he's probably going to lost by 15%
KC Star article about road rehab was sensationalist. Completly repaving roads does more to fix the problem than just repairing pot holes.
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by grovester »

Goonies wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:15 pm
grovester wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:07 pm He's maneuvered himself through some pretty hairy situations, gotta give credit where due, regardless if you agree on his stance.

Solid political chops.
Examples please? He's seemed to have taken both sides on the police thing, lied about signing off on the feds coming here, his road rehab program has seemed to hit a snag, and been all over the place on development. I get that he's became the darling of the Democrat party but if he runs for anything other than congress he's probably going to lost by 15%
BLM protests and Covid.

Everyone forgets who made him mayor, an unlikely alliance of African-Americans, republicans and less progressive democrats.

This fits completely with how he has governed.
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7489
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by normalthings »

NathanWillet (formerly with ShowMe Institute) is running for 1st District, immediate reaction is no from me

Former police captain Richard Sayles is running for 2nd District.
The Northland has long been referred to as the ‘cash cow’ for city project funding. You deserve a city government that respects your tax dollars and will use them to your benefit, rather than just funneling money out of your community.”
Yikes! Hope Wes Rogers beats him

Lindsey French vs Matt Mauer (KCFD) for the 2nd District at large. Looks like she’s worked on some KCATA stuff. He’s anti downtown from what I’ve seen
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by grovester »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:29 pm
grovester wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:12 pm
Goonies wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:15 pm

Examples please? He's seemed to have taken both sides on the police thing, lied about signing off on the feds coming here, his road rehab program has seemed to hit a snag, and been all over the place on development. I get that he's became the darling of the Democrat party but if he runs for anything other than congress he's probably going to lost by 15%
BLM protests and Covid.

Everyone forgets who made him mayor, an unlikely alliance of African-Americans, republicans and less progressive democrats.

This fits completely with how he has governed.
I was surprised the week before the election a Republican group that I had left because of their love for Trump called and recommended voting for him. Needless to say I'm pretty confident that marriage is over.
They gonna vote for the Jolie Justus candidate next time?
User avatar
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: King in the North(Land)

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by alejandro46 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:41 pm
grovester wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:36 pm
Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:29 pm

I was surprised the week before the election a Republican group that I had left because of their love for Trump called and recommended voting for him. Needless to say I'm pretty confident that marriage is over.
They gonna vote for the Jolie Justus candidate next time?
Is she running again? I would imagine a moderate who pretends to be on the side of the police in an off year election would do very well in the North/South wouldn't win but wouldn't lose by 20% either. Though I would be willing to bet alot of her backers are on Quintons side now. KC is an establishment town and that establishment has spoken. Those white appearances and CBS interviews didn't happen by accident.
Yep, I don't think a serious candidate would run against QL. I bet Justus is busy in her role as General Counsel at Truman Medical Center. I have family that knows her and she is a very capable lawyer.
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by grovester »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:41 pm
grovester wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:36 pm
Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:29 pm

I was surprised the week before the election a Republican group that I had left because of their love for Trump called and recommended voting for him. Needless to say I'm pretty confident that marriage is over.
They gonna vote for the Jolie Justus candidate next time?
Is she running again? I would imagine a moderate who pretends to be on the side of the police in an off year election would do very well in the North/South wouldn't win but wouldn't lose by 20% either. Though I would be willing to bet alot of her backers are on Quintons side now. KC is an establishment town and that establishment has spoken. Those white appearances and CBS interviews didn't happen by accident.
No, my point was that republicans are not going to vote for the more liberal democrat and the East side isn't going to back republicans.
daGOAT
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by daGOAT »

Yeah right, do you many Eastsiders vote for Trump? I have had to teach people time and time again how horrible his "leadership" was for our country.

This is one of the guys you want in office btw if you care about the city progressing give him a vote!

https://www.thepitchkc.com/justin-short ... velopment/
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: West Plaza

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:00 pm I checked out Bunchs opponent- wow. Its like a Facebooker/Redditer deciding to run for office. She would be worse than Bunch/Ellington and that's saying something.
Yeah she's really underwhelming. I get your sentiment on Bunch, but I think we could end up with something worse
daGOAT
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by daGOAT »

If we got Bunch and Short for 4th and Kelley for 5th we would be winning.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6108
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by beautyfromashes »

Someone older and wiser just needs to take Bunch under their wing and give him some good advice and direction. I think he has good ideas and his goal is in the right place, but the execution is flawed. Every time he gets up to speak at council he almost apologizes for what he’s going to say, fumbles, messes with his hair and seems totally out of his element. He needs a pep talk. Someone to instill in him that he’s a leader. Learn to rally other council people (most all who are older and more experienced) to modern viewpoints. I’m hopeful that he will transition and grow in a second term.
daGOAT
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by daGOAT »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:28 am Someone older and wiser just needs to take Bunch under their wing and give him some good advice and direction. I think he has good ideas and his goal is in the right place, but the execution is flawed. Every time he gets up to speak at council he almost apologizes for what he’s going to say, fumbles, messes with his hair and seems totally out of his element. He needs a pep talk. Someone to instill in him that he’s a leader. Learn to rally other council people (most all who are older and more experienced) to modern viewpoints. I’m hopeful that he will transition and grow in a second term.
Maybe a public speaking seminar or two would help lol

He would work really well with Michael Kelley, who he founded and grew BikeWalkKC with.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6108
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by beautyfromashes »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:51 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:28 am Someone older and wiser just needs to take Bunch under their wing and give him some good advice and direction. I think he has good ideas and his goal is in the right place, but the execution is flawed. Every time he gets up to speak at council he almost apologizes for what he’s going to say, fumbles, messes with his hair and seems totally out of his element. He needs a pep talk. Someone to instill in him that he’s a leader. Learn to rally other council people (most all who are older and more experienced) to modern viewpoints. I’m hopeful that he will transition and grow in a second term.
Maybe a public speaking seminar or two would help lol

He would work really well with Michael Kelley, who he founded and grew BikeWalkKC with.
I think that would help immensely! The council needs to get younger anyway. Kelley would be great.
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: West Plaza

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Is Jess Blubaugh any good? Heard she's running too but don't know much about her

It says she worked for Visit KC for a while so that could be promising.
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7489
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:45 pm Is Jess Blubaugh any good? Heard she's running too but don't know much about her

It says she worked for Visit KC for a while so that could be promising.
Justin Short needs to win.
Post Reply