2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by daGOAT »

kboish wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:16 am He moved to take council members off all RFP/ contract selection committees. They did not like that move and so he reversed course.
Sadly would have worked well. Half of our council is incapable of turning the wheels at an acceptable speed.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Platt is one of my only consistent sources for optimism. My family has lived in this city and this region for many generations, I love KC and I'm always rooting for it. But the if the pace of change was even one iota slower than it already is I'd be looking for an exit. The city is really going to have to keep earning my desire to live here with consistent if incremental progress. Something like sacking Platt would really shake my confidence.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:28 pm Platt is one of my only consistent sources for optimism. My family has lived in this city and this region for many generations, I love KC and I'm always rooting for it. But the if the pace of change was even one iota slower than it already is I'd be looking for an exit. The city is really going to have to keep earning my desire to live here with consistent if incremental progress. Something like sacking Platt would really shake my confidence.
I feel you. This is why I eventually moved, well this and the high rates of gun violence. The recent changes have me considering an eventual move back though, the city just has to keep this momentum, specifically on infrastructure and development.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:28 pm Platt is one of my only consistent sources for optimism. My family has lived in this city and this region for many generations, I love KC and I'm always rooting for it. But the if the pace of change was even one iota slower than it already is I'd be looking for an exit. The city is really going to have to keep earning my desire to live here with consistent if incremental progress. Something like sacking Platt would really shake my confidence.
This 100%
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

daGOAT wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:23 pm
kboish wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:16 am He moved to take council members off all RFP/ contract selection committees. They did not like that move and so he reversed course.
Sadly would have worked well. Half of our council is incapable of turning the wheels at an acceptable speed.
And it's absolutely not a best practice. The governing body should set policy, that's it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Would hate to see Rizzo elected. We need to keep and grow the number of pro downtown seats
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Fountains wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:02 pm Am I understanding this right? Because of Qs stunt with the police budget amendment 4 will increase our police budget with no reimbursement from the state? Meaning our taxes will go up to pay for this?
What stunt? Police budget was never cut.

Amendment 4 is an unfounded mandate that would require the city to raise new funding (might not be constitutional).
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Fountains wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:12 pm Tonys KC (I know) speculates Robinson could challenge Lucas. No chance she would win right?
If she did, she'd likely lose considering Lucas is playing the political game well right now to try and appeal to everyone, but I could see her recent introduction of a bill to form a reparations board as a way to launch a vanity mayoral bid. One of those bids that she could then use to propel herself into a higher local office or launch a bid for mayor in 2027 thanks to the increased name recognition.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Do we know how the $40m on the ballot Tuesday for affordable housing will be spent or just a fund with council discretion?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:31 am Do we know how the $40m on the ballot Tuesday for affordable housing will be spent?
Poorly and ineffectively.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:40 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:31 am Do we know how the $40m on the ballot Tuesday for affordable housing will be spent?
Poorly and ineffectively.
I think 2,000 units of housing was the goal.

Not sure how they will do that or what the desired rents are.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:13 pm I think 2,000 units of housing was the goal.

Not sure how they will do that or what the desired rents are.
I got a call campaigning for it and they said they want to have rents at $6-700 instead of $1300. That was their tagline. So, 2000 units of vouchers or city-built housing? How long is this $40M supposed to produce the results desired? I'm real unsure about this one, especially after how the council has done poorly on affordable housing programs in the past.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Is that 3 years of vouchers?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:37 pm Is that 3 years of vouchers?
If so, what happens after the 3 years? Request for more tax money?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Charlotte O'Hara running for JoCo Commissioner is against tax subsidies for development firmly. From what I hear she's got a decent shot to win. If she does win and halts JoCo development - I wonder if KCMO can benefit from this. The Northland at the very least should, which is still much better for KCMO.

It is interesting though that JoCo is getting to that point where they've grown so much that the anti-growth crowd is gaining there now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Clay Chastain asking for signatures at Brookside Price Chopper today in his bid to....RUN FOR MAYOR!!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:31 pm Charlotte O'Hara running for JoCo Commissioner is against tax subsidies for development firmly. From what I hear she's got a decent shot to win. If she does win and halts JoCo development - I wonder if KCMO can benefit from this. The Northland at the very least should, which is still much better for KCMO.

It is interesting though that JoCo is getting to that point where they've grown so much that the anti-growth crowd is gaining there now.
Their anti growth crowd is from a conservative approach of “traditional values” and keeping others out. This mindset is also adjacent and frequently associated with the don’t work with KCMO on bettering the region mindset.

KCMO wants Kansas to help with rail to Kansas, a Europe flight, etc
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:31 pm Charlotte O'Hara running for JoCo Commissioner is against tax subsidies for development firmly. From what I hear she's got a decent shot to win. If she does win and halts JoCo development - I wonder if KCMO can benefit from this. The Northland at the very least should, which is still much better for KCMO.

My impression is that Mike Kelly has that race wrapped up. (famous last words)
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:19 pm

Idk, people were pretty pissed at the tax hearing a few months back. O’Hara also made a point of speaking to damn near everyone when I was there, and has been way more publicly available than Kelly. This one might be a tighter race than we think
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:33 am
grovester wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:19 pm

Idk, people were pretty pissed at the tax hearing a few months back. O’Hara also made a point of speaking to damn near everyone when I was there, and has been way more publicly available than Kelly. This one might be a tighter race than we think
Sure it could be close, but Allenbrand endorsing Kelly after the primary gave him a 2 to 1 advantage of votes cast if it's likely the case that an Allenbrand voter wasn't going to vote for O'hara.

Not a guarantee, but a good place to be starting from.