2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:47 pm Surprised KC council members halt bid exploring some privatization

(Probably) An example of tensions between the council and Platt's desire to move quickly
The city recently issued a request for information from groups "that would increase revenues, bookings and reduce the cost of operations" through privatizing management and operations for the Kansas City Convention Center and American Royal Center. The city's Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department now oversees both.
But the City Council last week pressed pause on the effort after several members said they were surprised to learn about the request for information. On Jan. 19, the council unanimously passed an ordinance directing Platt to "refrain from engaging in any further actions to outsource the Convention and Entertainment Facilities operations performed by City staff without City Council approval."
The measure also mandates council approval for future RFPs on outsourcing any city services or functions. And it directed Platt to create a process and threshold for future outsourcing that factors in job retention, relevant collective bargaining agreements, reducing costs of service delivery and public feedback on customer satisfaction.
One those 4 council members blocking this in Fowler. He's already getting replaced by Rogers in a few months. I'm optimistic we get a faster moving council after elections. Maybe Brian Platt is counting on that as well.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://twitter.com/JazHays/status/1629 ... 08/photo/1

MEC filings for the KCMO city council candidates. Hadn't realized Darrell Curls had raised so much/received an endorsement from Kay Barnes.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Why so much money flowing into 4th At-Large?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Wow. Hazley outraising the crap out Ellington is the biggest stunner on there. Pleasantly surprising.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Alright, everyone get out your "checkbooks" for Justin Short. I think he'd be a great advocate for urban issues.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:44 pm Alright, everyone get out your "checkbooks" for Justin Short. I think he'd be a great advocate for urban issues.
From the interactions I’ve had with him, he seems very much DT progress minded, but has also expressed solving the issues with services and QOL. Seems decently well rounded on the issues, and quite balanced so as not to turn off support from NorthLand reps
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:29 pm Wow. Hazley outraising the crap out Ellington is the biggest stunner on there. Pleasantly surprising.
He votes no on everything, so I'm sure the logic is anybody-but-Ellington.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

6th AL is such a joke. The two fundraising leaders are
a.) the KC tenants person who hates development
b.) the conservative nimby that hates seeing change, and therefore development
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:17 pm 6th AL is such a joke. The two fundraising leaders are
??? Bough is a conservative nimby?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:33 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:17 pm 6th AL is such a joke. The two fundraising leaders are
??? Bough is a conservative nimby?
I think what was meant it 6th In-District. Duncan and Tarwater.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yep, my bad. 6th in district. Just an awful slate. I saw the 4th candidate on there (Shuckman) come out against the South Loop cap yesterday too.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Was anyone at the KC Tenants Candidate forum Saturday? Why did Robinson say she was most hopeless about development in the 3rd District? Playing to the crowd?

Seems like there's a lot of opportunity near 18th & Vine, the Blue River Corridor and the east side of an E/W streetcar if that ever happens?
Q: what makes you hopeless and what gives you hope?

Melissa Robinson: hopeless about development in 3rd, hope for grassroots power
https://twitter.com/celisa_mia/status/1 ... 815558656
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:58 am Image
https://twitter.com/JazHays/status/1629 ... 08/photo/1

MEC filings for the KCMO city council candidates. Hadn't realized Darrell Curls had raised so much/received an endorsement from Kay Barnes.
Rizzo brought in $5250 in donations according to his 40-day before election report. He has $36,794 cash on hand.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I would take KC Tenants over Tarwater any day of the week.

I am in 6th District too.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

March 8 is the last day to register for to vote if you want to vote in the April primary!
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Is there somewhere to check if you're registered?
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KC_Ari wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:07 pm Is there somewhere to check if you're registered?
https://www.kceb.org/voters/status/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Someone told me Crispin Rea is polling ahead in the 4thAL and I just can't get past that he was Funks right-hand-man and people would still vote for him. People are terrified of Trump but I'm still having nightmares about Funk and his wife.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:24 pm Someone told me Crispin Rea is polling ahead in the 4thAL and I just can't get past that he was Funks right-hand-man and people would still vote for him. People are terrified of Trump but I'm still having nightmares about Funk and his wife.
I suspect it's only a campaign or two that are polling or maybe someone unsolicited with an agenda (Remington), so you can't really trust that narrative. I wish local media would pool their resources and do some polling in local races.

Also, it's a crowded race so at-large voters whose candidates don't advance may unpredictably swing either way in the general. Blubaugh/Short/Rea are fairly aligned on policy and statements they've made, plus they've each presented themselves as capable public speakers. IMO it's anyone's guess which two of those three advance.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:55 am ...plus they've each presented themselves as capable public speakers.
This is something I've never thought much about and I don't think is talked about enough. We've had/have councilpeople now who I really align with but they get up to speak and almost sound like they are apologizing for doing it. Unprepared, unconfident, etc. Having the right ideas on the council is super important, but you have to be able to communicate them and convince other councilmembers to buy in.