2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by daGOAT »

Justin Short is extremely pro development.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Short & Kelley are the best prospects. I think Blubaugh is runnning out of the Northland.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:24 pm Short & Kelley are the best prospects. I think Blubaugh is runnning out of the Northland.
100%
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Kelley would get more momentum on bike, ped, and transit infrastructure so he'll def. work well with Eric Bunch.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:51 pm
daGOAT wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:06 am If we got Bunch and Short for 4th and Kelley for 5th we would be winning.
This is a pretty bad argument for Bunch if he just had 2 or 3 other people on the council he wouldn't be as shitty. No the guy is in over his head he literally has no clue what he's doing.
Distrup is bad
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I don't think Bunch is shitty at all tho I just kno Kelley and Short would give us a trifecta of support in multi modal transit, TOD, and street repurposing.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I did some research on the candidates running for council - here were the best pro-development candidates I found:

Lindsay French- District 2 at-large

She mentions several times on her page about the value of density along transit corridors. Seems very very pro-KC in general as well, no attitude about "the northland/eastside deserves more!" or anything like that.

Darron Story-District 3 at-large (challenging Ellington)

Straight from his site: "We need to focus on urban planning that aligns with our Transit-oriented Development Plan, incentivize companies to locate in our urban core already served by existing transit options and pursue innovative projects that can attract federal funding and the young professionals who will want to live here and help us grow the smart way."

Justin Short- District 4 at-large
Michael Kelley- District 5 at-large

And of course you all know these two

There were other candidates that had potential to be pro-dev but I wasn't fully clear. Some good names up there though.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Missouri Ethics Commission lays outs who is running for what and who is donating to who.

There are some anti-downtown candidates for sure. Some very pro downtown. Some who it’s unclear their take.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:30 pm Missouri Ethics Commission lays outs who is running for what and who is donating to who.

There are some anti-downtown candidates for sure. Some very pro downtown. Some who it’s unclear their take.
Yes. That site is what I scoured last night to find these names.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Which is the embarrassing part? The accusations, or the fact that someone made an ugly sign using a random, anonymous post on Reddit as the source? This is basically right across the street from Crissy Dastrup's house, so it sounds like it's some petty neighbor drama.

I don't know Crissy personally, or really much about her and the background of these allegations. The only thing I know is that she was one of the few vocal neighborhood supporters of the Mac Armour and Troost development when it was receiving a lot of pushback, so that's a plus in my book. Still, I have no idea who I will vote for.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:28 am Someone older and wiser just needs to take Bunch under their wing and give him some good advice and direction. I think he has good ideas and his goal is in the right place, but the execution is flawed. Every time he gets up to speak at council he almost apologizes for what he’s going to say, fumbles, messes with his hair and seems totally out of his element. He needs a pep talk. Someone to instill in him that he’s a leader. Learn to rally other council people (most all who are older and more experienced) to modern viewpoints. I’m hopeful that he will transition and grow in a second term.
No. You don't groom someone old and in a position of power. They SHOULD be competent. If he's not then he DOESN'T belong. Period.

Someone competent should replace him. Not hold his hand. 🤦
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

im2kull wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:11 pm No. You don't groom someone old and in a position of power. They SHOULD be competent. If he's not then he DOESN'T belong. Period.

Someone competent should replace him. Not hold his hand. 🤦
That's like saying you don't give new information to an old person in power or train them in new ways of doing things. Should we not have trained 45 year olds how to create email in the 80s because they're already in power? Should we not give new technology training? Bunch has new ideas that the other people on the council need to listen to. He's pushed bike infrastructure and walkability initiatives. He just needs some confidence to explain these new ideas and communicate them in a way that expresses confidence and persuasion. I think having a few different allies on the council in his second term will be beneficial and he'll come into his own.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Former state senator and chairman of the Jackson County legislature Henry Rizzo is running against Eric Bunch for the District 4 council seat.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/former-s ... rict-race/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:30 am Former state senator and chairman of the Jackson County legislature Henry Rizzo is running against Eric Bunch for the District 4 council seat.

How OLD is he?!? Can we not go back to the old point of view in this town?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:13 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:30 am Former state senator and chairman of the Jackson County legislature Henry Rizzo is running against Eric Bunch for the District 4 council seat.

How OLD is he?!? Can we not go back to the old point of view in this town?
Oh Jesus this guy is bad. He’s definitely one of those “you get yer’ car and you get yer’ parking space” types of people.

We eradicated most of these 2003 people and we can’t bring them back.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:02 pm Which is the embarrassing part? The accusations, or the fact that someone made an ugly sign using a random, anonymous post on Reddit as the source? This is basically right across the street from Crissy Dastrup's house, so it sounds like it's some petty neighbor drama.

I don't know Crissy personally, or really much about her and the background of these allegations. The only thing I know is that she was one of the few vocal neighborhood supporters of the Mac Armour and Troost development when it was receiving a lot of pushback, so that's a plus in my book. Still, I have no idea who I will vote for.
As someone who was in on that particular project at the very beginning, I can say that Crissy was nowhere to be found until the last moments. Credit to her for getting it right, but it was sort of drive-by advocacy on her part. There were a few dozen Hyde Parkers who did much more to make that project happen than she did.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Last edited by horizons82 on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Last edited by horizons82 on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Justin Short is flashy on social media but isn't raising any money. Wish he was doing better but its not looking good