2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by FangKC »

Council members also have to have the confidence to explain their positions, ideas, and actions to their constituents, and be tough enough to withstand angry ones, or false narratives, at meetings. Sometimes that means explaining why a constituent is wrong.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Twitter user Jaz Hays posted the latest MEC report results. Some observations...

At Large
- 2nd: Lindsay French raised more this time than Jenay Manley but from far fewer donors. Lindsay French has far more cash on hand going into the primary than Manley.
- 3rd: Donors are lining behind Patterson-Hazley. She has a true war chest at her disposable to use against Brandon Ellington. It's not even a fair race in this metric.
- 4th: In terms of donors, this is definitely a Rea vs Short race. Rea brought in $900 more than Short this period and Rea has raised far more than Short during the campaign. However, Short has more cash on hand and no debt whereas Rea has $15,000 reported debt. If you remove that debt from Rea's cash on hand, Blubaugh is in a better position.
- 5th: Kelley and Galvin brought in the most this report, but Darrel Curls has the most cash on hand and raised the most this election cycle. In terms of cash on hand, Theresa Cass Galvin is in second place and Michael Kelley is in a distant third place. If you subtract Curls's debt, Galvin has the most money on hand by far.

In-District
4th District: Crissy Dastrup brought in the most donations this time around with Rizzo in second place and Bunch in a distance third. In terms of money raised this cycle, Rizzo is first, followed by Dastrup and then by Bunch. In terms of cash on hand, adjusted for debt, Bunch is clearly the leader in this metric with Rizzo in second place, but not too far ahead of Dastrup.
6th District: In terms of money, this is definitely Tarwater vs Duncan. Duncan brought in $6480 this period while Tarwater brought in $6100. Tarwater has a just over $5000 advtange for cash on hand than Duncan, but both are super close.

This, of course, means nothing, but it could give us a hint into who advances 1 week from today.

While I have my preferences, I imagine some of these races will be closer than we expected. In particular, I think 4th In-District and At-Large will be the most competitive of the night. Those are ones where we could have surprises.

My predictions for races with more than two candidates...
- O'Neill vs Mason
- French vs Manley
- Rea vs Short
- Kelley vs Curls
- Bough vs Sasse
- Bunch vs Rizzo
- Tarwater vs Duncan
https://twitter.com/JazHays/status/1640 ... 12/photo/1
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Some of us on here need to put some money where are mouths are and write some checks to Kelley and Short.
Michael Kelley: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/micha ... y-for-kc-1
Justin Short: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/justin-short-for-kc-1
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:48 pm Some of us on here need to put some money where are mouths are and write some checks to Kelley and Short.
Michael Kelley: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/micha ... y-for-kc-1
Justin Short: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/justin-short-for-kc-1
The PACs don't want Kelley to win

https://twitter.com/JazHays/status/1641 ... 07/photo/1
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

any possible stealth MAGA candidates?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

ericwyner wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:15 pm any possible stealth MAGA candidates?
Maybe Sasse... based only on the interview where she termed social justice as discrimination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is this the general consensus for kcrag opinion council races?

1st at large
O'neill?

2nd at large?
French

3rd at large
Haley?

4th
Bunch

4th at large
Short

5th at large
Kelley

6th at large
Bough
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

French is by far the best “urbanist” candidate for district 2. She’s basically like Justin Short.

But yes that is the preferred Council wish-list.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

awesome thanks for confirmation and help on 2AL
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Oddly, a KC Tenants Power organizer knocked on my door the other day, gave me some literature, and claimed he was canvassing the 6th district. I stopped him and was like you know this is 4th district right? (Volker) He claimed my address had been redistricted to 6th district. No, indeed my address and several blocks to the south that this guy had presumably canvassed similarly will still be 4th district. Kind of weird.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:15 pm My predictions for races with more than two candidates...
- O'Neill vs Mason
- French vs Manley
- Rea vs Short
- Kelley vs Curls
- Bough vs Sasse
- Bunch vs Rizzo
- Tarwater vs Duncan
With final results in on the Board of Elections website, all my guesses except for 1st At-Large were correct. In that race, it's O'Neill vs Smith.

A few notes:
- Lindsay French got roughly 5200 more votes than Manley in 2nd at Large
- Melissa Patterson-Hazley smoked Brandon Ellington
- Justin Short made it to the general election, but Crispin Rea is the clear front runner with 15,219 votes to Short's 9033.
- Darrell Curls is leading Michael Kelley by 800 votes.
- Andrea Bough's win tonight was a landslide.
- Eric Bunch had a sizable win over Henry Rizzo, who narrowly made it to the 2nd round (he made it by just about 335 votes)
- Dan Tarwater has a 2500 vote advantage over Johnathan Duncan
- Nathan Willett has a 2-1 lead over Chris Gagahan

If this was the general election, the council would be...
- 1st District: O'Neill and Willett
- 2nd District: French and Rogers
- 3rd District: Patterson-Hazley and Robinson
- 4th District: Rea and Bunch
- 5th District: Curls and Parks-Shaw
- 6th District: Bough and Tarwater
Last edited by Chris Stritzel on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The absolute best result tonight was French getting 47%! That's a huge gain if it holds.

Hazley has taken out Ellington as well.

Michael Kelly put up a much better result than expected, and Short made the runoff.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

there were signs for Hickman Mills SB candidates outside of Center HS (not in the KCMOSD or Hickman Mills SD, there was no Center school board election)
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I’d much prefer Justin Short but Crispin Rea actually seems pretty solid
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:18 am I’d much prefer Justin Short but Crispin Rea actually seems pretty solid
I'm sorry, can't do it. Read his bio and it's a "I'm going to click all the political boxes" politician if I've ever seen one, right down to the rescue pit bulls. It reads nothing of someone who will take a risk or think outside the box. Safe, calculated, controlled.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

If there are only 2 candidates, does the winner take it all or do both advance to the next election?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

langosta wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:52 am If there are only 2 candidates, does the winner take it all or do both advance to the next election?
both advance
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Does Andrea Bough's large election margin and warchest of funds make her the favorite to be the next Mayor?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:58 pm Does Andrea Bough's large election margin and warchest of funds make her the favorite to be the next Mayor?
I hope not
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Apparently the city council may fire the city manager today. In closed session right now