2022 Senate Race

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: 2022 Senate Race

Post by FangKC »

The Democrats need to find someone attractive, but unknown politically, to run in as a Republican, and then who will behave as a Democrat if elected. Like Kyrsten Sinema, but the opposite. :lol:
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

You laugh but I was actually thinking the same thing, although my brain's version of it was, "run like Obama governed and then govern like Obama ran."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think a state benefits more when there is one senator from each party so that when congressional control and presidential administrations shift, we have at least one senator with influence within their own party to help our state.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Worked so well with Claire & Roy...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Populist, Millennial Veteran Who Wants to Turn Missouri Blue
Steering a Ford Focus through soggy mist toward the northeast Missouri farm town of Palmyra, Lucas Kunce — Marine veteran, millennial, populist Democratic contender for a U.S. Senate seat in this very Republican state — is explaining Missouri voters by way of a story about socks.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... rat-521862
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:55 pm Hartzler is well-known, but has only won a congressional seat. Never a statewide race.
I happen to live in Hartzler's district and get her weekly newsletters. She sounds like a 100% Trumper. It's going to be an interesting race, moreso if Trump is still a force. Don't believe he has endorsed any candidate yet so will have to see whose side he comes down on.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Lucas Kunce criticizes GOP opponents for China ties in new ad

https://themissouritimes.com/lucas-kunc ... in-new-ad/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:05 pm I'm not a Democrat but this Lucas Kunce guy is refreshing. He has my vote.
Same. If one of the Republicans has to win though I want it to be Hartzler.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Greitens needs to drop out so badly. He would be the easiest to beat but IMO that is outweighed by how big of an embarrassment he is to the state especially if he were to win the primary.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 am Same. If one of the Republicans has to win though I want it to be Hartzler.
But Billy Long has this going for him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WolVEMFbUcs
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Eon Blue wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:34 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 am Same. If one of the Republicans has to win though I want it to be Hartzler.
But Billy Long has this going for him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WolVEMFbUcs
Now that's funny
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:22 pm Greitens needs to drop out so badly. He would be the easiest to beat but IMO that is outweighed by how big of an embarrassment he is to the state especially if he were to win the primary.
The most often-used phrases coming out of Greitens' mouth are "these abuse/sex allegations are false," and "these attacks on me are politically-motivated."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

He cannot be more of an embarrassment than Hawley. I have contacted Greitens campaign to ask him not to drop out. If Kunce looks sure to get Dem nomination before primary I may even ask for GOP ballot so I can vote for Greitens and so weaken MO GOP.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

moderne wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:11 pm He cannot be more of an embarrassment than Hawley. I have contacted Greitens campaign to ask him not to drop out. If Kunce looks sure to get Dem nomination before primary I may even ask for GOP ballot so I can vote for Greitens and so weaken MO GOP.
I'm sympathetic to that and I'll be watching how this develops and strategize accordingly. But IMO Greitens is politically the same as Hawley in addition to being an extortionist and wife beater.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:50 pm
moderne wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:11 pm He cannot be more of an embarrassment than Hawley. I have contacted Greitens campaign to ask him not to drop out. If Kunce looks sure to get Dem nomination before primary I may even ask for GOP ballot so I can vote for Greitens and so weaken MO GOP.
I'm sympathetic to that and I'll be watching how this develops and strategize accordingly. But IMO Greitens is politically the same as Hawley in addition to being an extortionist and wife beater.
Uh guys I hate to break it to you, but Greitens is 100x more toxic than Hawley
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

^yep
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Whoever wins the GOP nom is going to win the general, even if it is Greitens, so personally I would advise against trying to strategically vote for him in the GOP primary
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

phuqueue wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:48 pm Whoever wins the GOP nom is going to win the general, even if it is Greitens, so personally I would advise against trying to strategically vote for him in the GOP primary
Maybe it's too naive to think Kunce could beat Greitens but Roy Moore in Alabama showed that a bad candidate can go down even in the reddest of states.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Remember that in 2012 Democrat Claire McCaskill beat Republican Todd Akin, who made a comment saying victims of "legitimate rape" rarely ended up pregnant, in her Senate race against him.
McCaskill ran unopposed in the Democratic primary and faced Republican nominee Todd Akin in the general election. Until mid-August, polling showed them running neck and neck. Then, in a television interview on August 12, Akin claimed that women who were the victims of what he described as "legitimate rape" rarely ended up pregnant. His comments caused controversy and he was criticized by members of both parties.
It's possible that enough GOP and independent women--and hopefully some men--might be put off by Greitens to vote for a Democrat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_McCaskill

Who knows how many other things will drop about Greitens before the general election. Greitens appears to have some serious behavioral issues, and they have likely permeated his entire adult life and interactions with others.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I think it is more instructive that McCaskill lost in 2018 than that she won in 2012. McCaskill had an incumbency advantage in 2012, which was a presidential cycle with a Dem incumbent at the top of the ticket. She lost in 2018 despite her incumbency advantage, despite the fact that it was a midterm under a historically unpopular Republican president, despite the fact that the national environment produced a wave election in which Dems nationwide, across all Senate races, blew out the GOP by 20 points. She lost because Missouri is a red state and getting redder. It's tough for Dems to win there, tougher now than it was even in election cycles that feel not very long ago.

This year is also a midterm cycle, except this time the historically unpopular president is a Democrat. I wouldn't make any specific predictions, but I think it is far more likely that a longshot Republican candidate picks off a seat in a blue state than that a Democrat wins Missouri. I don't think Doug Jones is instructive at all -- that was a special election in an environment that was as favorable to Dems as the current one is to Republicans.

Nothing would make me happier than to eat shit if by some miracle somebody has cause to quote this post back to me in November, but I'm not holding my breath.