Oxbow NKC (18th and Swift)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Oxbow NKC (18th and Swift)

Post by Cratedigger »

Depending on what the development ends up looking like around it, an EV baseball village may change the view.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:47 am Depending on what the development ends up looking like around it, an EV baseball village may change the view.
Definitely would do a lot for both north and south views onto DT area for sure. I’d imagine regardless of if the stadium goes in EV that we’ll see development there before the end of the decade. The only real reason it’s sat empty was in anticipation of a stadium for the last 15 or so years
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are several parcels along Admiral where new developments could change the view.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:21 pm There are several parcels along Admiral where new developments could change the view.
I don't see anything that will change the skyline much from the north for at least another ten years. If the stadium goes to EV, you might get a 15-20 story building in the area, but that's ten years out at least.

I always imagine the skyline had the KC Place development been built out. There would be a 52 story building east of Grand. It would have really changed the east side of downtown by now.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Or if even earlier developments had been built out. There was to have been a twin to the View(then Vista Del Rio) and another few siblings to the Manhattan(then River Hills Mark I and Mark II). Seems like Cordish is the only development in KC history that has been built out as proposed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:03 pm Or if even earlier developments had been built out. There was to have been a twin to the View(then Vista Del Rio) and another few siblings to the Manhattan(then River Hills Mark I and Mark II). Seems like Cordish is the only development in KC history that has been built out as proposed.
To be fair, Master Planned developments rarely go entirely to plan anywhere. Crown Center and P&L are close enough in my book
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:36 pm
moderne wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:03 pm Or if even earlier developments had been built out. There was to have been a twin to the View(then Vista Del Rio) and another few siblings to the Manhattan(then River Hills Mark I and Mark II). Seems like Cordish is the only development in KC history that has been built out as proposed.
To be fair, Master Planned developments rarely go entirely to plan anywhere. Crown Center and P&L are close enough in my book
KC is very lucky to get what it got from the KC Place development. But I always wonder how much it would have changed downtown if that were built as planned. Downtown KC would have had the type of modern office towers that Minneapolis and Dallas had at the time which would have eventually brought in more corporate HQs, more hotels etc. It would have made a difference just like Downtown KC would be a very different place if One KC place, 12 Wyandotte, Town Pavilion etc were never built.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:08 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:36 pm
KC is very lucky to get what it got from the KC Place development. But I always wonder how much it would have changed downtown if that were built as planned. Downtown KC would have had the type of modern office towers that Minneapolis and Dallas had at the time which would have eventually brought in more corporate HQs, more hotels etc. It would have made a difference just like Downtown KC would be a very different place if One KC place, 12 Wyandotte, Town Pavilion etc were never built.
Same with the original KCI airport, 1970's subway/rapid rail proposal, numerous LRT proposals, Ross Perott Mega Hotel, WTC, Crown Center APM, etc. Lots of projects that would have changed the city's trajectory. Great reads!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Huge "The Oxbow" sign placed on roof. Hope it illuminates.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Website is up. Nothing new on it though. It bothers me that this building is not symmetrical.
https://www.theoxbowkc.com
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

It sounds like McLain's Bakery will be opening a location in NKC in the retail space at The Oxbow. Having grown up on their chocolate drop cookies at the original Waldo location, this makes me happy. I think they'll do well in NKC. The space is still completely unfinished from what I can tell.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

rxlexi wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:40 pm It sounds like McLain's Bakery will be opening a location in NKC in the retail space at The Oxbow. Having grown up on their chocolate drop cookies at the original Waldo location, this makes me happy. I think they'll do well in NKC. The space is still completely unfinished from what I can tell.
Wow, that would be cool. I love their coconut macaroons. Plus my mom will be happy to save her time from her 2 a month trek to get her pastry fix
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

wow
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This will be a good location for Eric Bowers to get some new skyline shots, but from a much different perspective.
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

Downtown looking good from NKC!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The ground floor on 18th is horrible. One big blank wall.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:01 am The ground floor on 18th is horrible. One big blank wall.
Walking through this area a while back that seemed to be the consensus of the group I was with. Really a missed opportunity to add quite a bit of activation to an otherwise blank area, and they just fumbled terribly.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I just now observed that it's clear that the intent is for the southern side of this building to be blocked by something else one day. The only windows that exist are for the hallways. Unlike the 18th Street or Swift sides, the parking garage is also completely open and exposed.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A lot of the new apartment buildings have all units identical and do not deviate from this even when there is an opportunity to add windows that the identical floor plan unit next door does not have.