KU Med Expansion

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: KU Med Expansion

Post by Cratedigger »

https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/kc-e ... owerhouse/

Good article in Flatland today about the life science investments at KU Med and Hospital Hill. Exciting stuff.

Also I think this was already known as part of the project roadmap but the article says KU Med is hoping to break ground on the cancer center early 2024 and be completed by 2027.
Jensen estimated it will cost approximately $450 million to build the initial phase, which could include as much as 500,000 square feet. Even a building that size would nearly rival the medical tower that KU Health System opened in 2017, which takes up a square block around the intersection of 39th Street and State Line Road.

A federal earmark of $43 million in last year’s omnibus appropriation bill is a “huge step forward” in raising money for the cancer center building, Jensen said. It is unclear when the building will be fully built out. But when it is, Jensen said, the building could be 10 stories high with as much as 750,000 square feet.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Awesome.

Now we just need to get a streetcar out there.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Streetcar would be nice for sure. But I’ll take the impacts it makes on economy. More higher educated workforce required builds a better overall workforce for the metro. Need those high end research jobs & more academia to go along with businesses, as they help fuel the creativity for launching new small businesses & attracting companies to setup roots in town. This project, hospital hill area development are great. The focus on making KC a life sciences hub is smart. Couple that with cutting edge Ag-tech & research & our already top notch engineering & architecture firms reputations & you are building a nice “Jewel on the prairie” for innovative & creative populace
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think they're definitely gonna be breaking ground on this on their desired early 2024 date too because they said they come up for renewal in 2027. They need this, as they said. Don't think they're dicking around on this one.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree, they are not going to be messing around on this project and I could even see them pushing hard to get it done as quick as they can. They want to ride this momentum and keep things moving forward while the spotlight is shinning bright for them. I doubt it will ever really dim for them but as the old saying goes "make hay while the sun is shining"
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 40832.html

Solid news for KU Med. Joining the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN) which is a network for data sharing cancer research and care. None are the Mayo Clinic, but not bad company
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KU new center to receive $100 mil gift and break ground in Fall 2024

https://twitter.com/fox4kc/status/16738 ... 47360?s=20
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I also noticed they torn down part of the old (nursing?) school on the southeast corner of rainbow and 39th
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:17 am
Major KC Fan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:30 pm More development around KU Med campus-replacing a worn out lower density apartment.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ments.html
Demolishing the 44-unit Cambridge West apartments to make way for a $48 million, seven-story, 228-apartment development at 3600 Rainbow Blvd called 'The Hudson'

Rising...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »